HK45 vs HK45c

HK45 vs HK45c

This is a discussion on HK45 vs HK45c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry one of these pistols? I'm considering one and wanted to get some opinions. Is the compact really worth getting? I'm not sure ...

Thread: HK45 vs HK45c

HK45 vs HK45c

Does anyone carry one of these pistols? I'm considering one and wanted to get some opinions. Is the compact really worth getting? I'm not sure if the compact is that much more smaller than the Fullsize? Seems as if you can conceal the compact you can conceal the Fullsize. I don't have a problem with a carrying a big gun, I carry a fullsize 1911 in an MTAC. Any info would help.

Senior Moderator
    If you're carrying a full size 1911, a full size HK45 won't be an issue.

I have and carry the HK45, and really like it. It's a big pistol, but for me it is a really great shooting gun.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    If you're carrying a full size 1911, a full size HK45 won't be an issue.

I have and carry the HK45, and really like it. It's a big pistol, but for me it is a really great shooting gun.

Matt
    it just seems like the perfect polymer for a guy who likes 1911's. I have shot a P2000 range rental in .40s&W and man it had terrible recoil in comparison to a Glock 23. Hows the recoil on the HK45?

Senior Moderator
    Surprisingly mild, as is muzzle flip, in my experience.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Cool

A neighboring agency uses the HK45 and I had the opportunity to fire the full size and really loved it. Great trigger ! Ergonomics of the grip was exceptional.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    it just seems like the perfect polymer for a guy who likes 1911's. I have shot a P2000 range rental in .40s&W and man it had terrible recoil in comparison to a Glock 23. Hows the recoil on the HK45?
    I would say that it is comparable to any other full-sized .45acp. If you shoot 1911's you won't have any issue with the HK.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

What i have handled them...I like feel of both. Very well engineered.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have an HK Tactical in .45....too large to realistically carry (concealed), but I love to shoot it!! Also fun with the can on it!!
    I also have an HK P30s in .40, which I now use as my EDC....it replaced my G23.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I've owned both. i sold the 45c and am selling the 45, though they are very nice pistols. With the other guns I own, I just don't have a need for them. If it was primarily for carry, I'd probably carry the 45c more, though I have no issues with the few times I carried the full size and I usually where jeans and a t shirt or button down.

45 and 45c in my hand

I can't find the pic of the USP Tactical 45 in my hand, but here's the gun itself. I carried it a couple times for the heck of it, but it's big and boxy. At least the 45 and 45c are contoured and much easier to carry. I'd like to see slim basepads for the 45 become common and basepads with no extension or lip for the 45c.

Here's my USP 40 cal Expert (a normal size USP with a magwell and longer slide) in my hand and then next to the 45c. I'm trying to find the 45 and 45c together, just not sure where it is. So, I hope this helps for now. This should give you a pretty good idea of size. I see you have some Kimbers, so I added a photo of a Commander 1911 in my hand for reference.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

KoB
    I currently EDC the .45c (except on Wed's when I take my girls to dance class for 2 hours, then i tote the LCR) and l love it! Beautiful pistol, as this is my first semi-auto and I wanted a quality piece. Went to the LGS and rented a Glock, Sig, and HK. Out of the three, the HK was the one that left the greatest impression (excuse my ignorance, but I knew nothing of HK or their price…before this purchase I only owned a .357 mag) on me that I immediately put a USPc .40 on layaway. After talking to a few reliable gun owners and doing some Internet homework, I settled on the .45c. I chose the .45c over the .45 due to the .45 being a tad bit large FOR MY LIKINGS (I am 6'2, 265lbs). I just wanted something smaller, but I will admit the .45 grip is lovely, haven't ruled out the big brother at a later date for HD…like I need another pistol!

Honestly, being a new shooter with a semi-auto, the .45c was a great learning tool FOR ME. It conceals perfectly with whatever I'm wearing (live in FL…so it shorts and T-shirt attire) I use a Galco Summer Comfort holster which keeps it snug next to my body and the love handles locks it in place. I recently to it and the LCR to Detroit a few weeks ago and carried the .45c all day on Sat (10am to 20:00) and it didn't bother me at all.

As far as shooting, I didn't understand when I heard this comme ntc , "the gun is more accurate than I am", well I've witnessed it first hand while shooting my .45c. Gun is very accurate and a pleasant shooter, for recoil is nil due to the superb recoil system on the gun. The only thing I hate about going to the range is the lack of funds to continue shooting after all my ammo is gone. At first I was going to get the flat base plates for the magazines, but I kinda like the standard base plates (pinky extension) so if the SHTF does occur, my hand won't slip off the handle…just my warped way of thinking!

In all, if this is going to be your EDC, then I would go for the .45c…which ever HK you choose, it will serve you well!

If this is going to be

Thanks for all the help guys. Jonconsiglio thanks for the size gauging pics really helped put thing into perspective. Still seems like if one could conceal the compact they could also the fullsize with the same gear. Nice collection by the way!

For carry i think the H&Kc would be better. The smaller size makes a big difference. That said i have the full size .45 because I wanted the 10 shot mag (sold my Sig 220 for it). I usually only carry in the colder weather. it works great in a shoulder holster.

Though I never owned any, the nice thing about the compact is the 14 round mags you can buy. If imwould have kept that gun, I would have ended up with a fewmof those. The only issue I could imagine is the base pad being a bit too bulky. I don't have any experience with them, so I'm just going by the images I've seen, NOT personal experience.

I'm one of those guys that prefers to carry a full size gun. The 45c and the Glock 19, for example, are the smallest I'd go for my main carry gun. Don't own either anymore since I can conceal the hk45 and my daily carry guns just fine under a t-shirt. 1911, 226, M&P9 or Glock 17 are my daily carry guns. Now that the 45c is gone I kind of miss it!

Glad the pics helped let us know if you have more questions and what you decide on.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I had the HK USPc45, HK45c and HK45.

The HK45 had less fet recoil than my 5" Ed Brown stainless 1911. I was surprised.

I preferred my USPc45 to the hk45c - so I sold the HK45c shortly after getting it. I later sold the HK45 to pay for an MSAR, and I sold the USPc45 when I started to carry my Beretta 92FS.

Links