Trading/selling S&W 19-5 should I get 640 or SP101

This is a discussion on Trading/selling S&W 19-5 should I get 640 or SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a beautiful blued S&W 19-5 with a 2 1/2 barrel a few weeks back. Well situations have come up and I have also ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading/selling S&W 19-5 should I get 640 or SP101

I bought a beautiful blued S&W 19-5 with a 2 1/2 barrel a few weeks back. Well situations have come up and I have also aquired/inherited a 19-4. I love the way a K frame shoot I have a 4" M13 and 2 2 1/2" now. I carry daily in the appendix carry posistion I find the 19's grip has a tendency to print. I have been thinking of trading or selling and buying and maybe getting a S&W 60 or 640 or a Ruger SP101. I live in South Ga and the heat and humidity Im afraid would wear on the beautiful blue finish so thinking ss is the way to go. I really think the 19-5 I bought is too nice to carry. Also thinking I may recoup some of the money in addition that I spent on the M19-5. I currently carry a 26 or a 3913 just like a revolver at times. Also carry a M38 in a pocket a fair amount. Just rambling what do yall think

I looked at both and got the 2 1/4" Sp101( between the 60 and 101). Mine came with the Hogue grips and it has shot great with everything form 110gr. 38 spl to 158 gr 357 +p. There is only about 2 or 3 oz. difference in weight and I don't have the "lock"

I would say for you to fondle a S&W 649. I have come to believe it is the ultimate pocket gun. Against the popular trend I am not a huge fan of airweights and I never recommend them to new shooters. I see these new shooters come in with their new gun, the gun the guy at the gun store said was the perfect gun for them, of course it is a air weight, then what you see is the flinching start when they go to fire the gun. I have actually seen people close their eyes because they are bracing for the recoil. I believe the air weights and ultra air weights are fine for expierenced shooters, but with the new shooter they tend to cause very bad habits due to the snappy recoil. These habits can be very hard to over ride later on. I would rather recommend a heavier gun, but one that will absorb the recoil better and allow for quick double taps to COM. All of this without the fliching and eyes being shut. The 649 is all SS, but with a shrouded hammer you don't have any snag issues and you still have the ability for single action fire if needed. I carry mine in a simple Mika pocket holster. My small semi autos get little carry time since I picked up the 649 a couple years ago.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The weight of the 19 doesnt bother me at all. I think the only down side is that I have tried to carry it IWB and the adjustable sights caught on the draw. I figure a good fix sighted revolver will do great. Also thinking of DAO for that exact same reason.

I think the SP101 is a fine choice.

If you are satisfied with carrying the M13, weight and all, I thing you would be well satisfied with the stainless steel Ruger SP101 too. A little lighter and a little smaller. Factory grips are excellent too, don't need to do anything to it.

Appendix carry revolver

I also own a 2.5 inch S&W model 19, and it seems a little large for appendix carry. I've had better luck behind the hip at the 4 o'clock position in concealing it.

But I do like appendix carry with the right gun, and have found that the S&W J frame revolvers with short barrels conceal very well there. I tend to use a model 642 airweight with an enclosed hammer in a Comp-Tac kydex holster. The grip is a two finger boot grip. The gun is short enough so it doesn't poke me when seated, and the draw is fast from the appendix position.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Cemo View Post
    If you are satisfied with carrying the M13, weight and all, I thing you would be well satisfied with the stainless steel Ruger SP101 too. A little lighter and a little smaller. Factory grips are excellent too, don't need to do anything to it.
    +1. The SP101 is a great carry revolver. Hard to beat. You'll never regret getting one. I've got the 2" barrel and it carries great. I would have preferred the 3".
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

My vote is for the S&W 60 like mine alot
    Luke 22:36 and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

I currently carry my G26 in the appendix posistion daily. I find it hides easier than the 19-5. I was debating between a SP101 and my 26 when I bought it. I have a hard time fiding anything that can do what my 26 can do. In spite of that I still have an attraction to a wheel gun. If I do decide to go with the SP101 I have to decide 2" or 3". I also have to decide if I go 2 do I get DAO so that it doesnt catch. I do carry in a Smartcarry from time to time I find the hammer grabs on my traditional revolvers. I think at this point I should probably sell the 19 and just wait for the right gun to come along. I think I enjoy the pursuit more than the purchase.

Having had a 640, and still having the SP101, I'll bet you can guess which one I'd get.

I want nothing smaller or lighter than the SP101 if I'm shooting .357 Magnum, but that's just me. I also am not a fan of the "Hillary Hole" on the new S&W Revolvers. If it has a "Hillary Hole" then I'd run, not walk, to the Ruger. For those that don't know, the "Hillary Hole" is the abomination on the side of the Revolver done in the name of safety "for the children".

Biker

VIP Member
    I'd pick the SP101, too. I have a 642 and a 2 1/4" SP101. The 642 is a delight to carry, you almost forget it's there. With 38+P loads it has a very stout recoil. Nothing you can't handle, but not a range gun with +P's. The SP101 is really stout for a 5 shot .357. Like Biker, I really don't want anything lighter for shooting .357's. The weight keeps recoil very manageable. Don't buy into the hype about the hammer catching on stuff. I've carried wheel guns with hammers on/off for 30+ years and have never had a hammer catch on clothing, or anything else for that matter. I pocket carry my SP101 about 90% of the time and it clears my pocket with ease.

So, if you want to carry with .357's, go for the SP101. If your OK with carrying 38+P's, I'd go for a no lock 642. YMMV
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Having had a 640, and still having the SP101, I'll bet you can guess which one I'd get.

I want nothing smaller or lighter than the SP101 if I'm shooting .357 Magnum, but that's just me. I also am not a fan of the "Hillary Hole" on the new S&W Revolvers. If it has a "Hillary Hole" then I'd run, not walk, to the Ruger. For those that don't know, the "Hillary Hole" is the abomination on the side of the Revolver done in the name of safety "for the children".

Biker
    I really like my SP 101 with 2 1/4 inch barrel for firing .357 mag. Having said that I carry a G-23 off duty 99% of the time. Back in the day a nickled M-13 with a 2" barrel was my off duty carry and a 4" M-19 was my on duty weapon. I would not feel under gunned with any of those choices today. For comfort and ease of carry with todays new holsters you could make any of them work. Decisions,decisions !!!!!
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I agree I think at this point Im gonna hold onto my 19-4 that belonged to my dad and sell the 19-5 I just bought. I will still have one if I need one. I figure since my mind isnt clearly made up I will probably sell and rathole untill the day I find the replacement of my dreams.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I agree I think at this point Im gonna hold onto my 19-4 that belonged to my dad and sell the 19-5 I just bought. I will still have one if I need one. I figure since my mind isnt clearly made up I will probably sell and rathole untill the day I find the replacement of my dreams.
    That's a beauty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links