Taurus PT 745 and similar .45 subcompacts

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 745 and similar .45 subcompacts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a subcompact in the $400 dollar range. I like the stats on the Taurus PT 645 or 145, the only thing ...

Thread: Taurus PT 745 and similar .45 subcompacts

Taurus PT 745 and similar .45 subcompacts

I've been looking for a subcompact in the $400 dollar range. I like the stats on the Taurus PT 645 or 145, the only thing that keeps me from commiting is that it's a double action only. Anybody know if there's a pistol out there that matches the Pt 745 stats but includes DA/SA ?

EDIT: Most gunshops say the gun is DA only however the manufacturer says it's DA/SA, so I'm pretty sure the manufacturer knows what they're talking about. Just looking for a confirm.

Otherwise any owners out there, how do you like it?
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

2. Remove Ads

I have had a PT745 for over a year now. Very accurate, not heavy. I carry this in a Crossbreed holster every day. I haven't had any misfires, jams, FTE's or any other problems with it. My wife says it's too powerful for her, but my 22 YO daughter loves it and my 17 YO daughter can't wait to shoot it again.
    Like I said, I have other weapons but this is the one I trust my life with.
    I agree with the manufacturer on this one. The first trigger pull is very long but each pull after that is much smoother and shorter. Therefore the DA/SA rating.

Tim

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I don't know about the other ones in that range but the Taurus PT145 might be a consideration. It's not a "target" gun - mine and several I read about seem to shoot a little low and left but if aiming CBM at what is considered normal self defense distances it's close enough AND you can always loosen the set screw on the rear sight and brass "tap" it a bit to help.

Here's a review you might find interesting:
    http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT145.htm
    For God, Family and Country!

drw
    I have a PT145 and find it to be very reliable, and accurate at self defense ranges.

Yep that's my edc in the winter. The pt145 that is got over 1700 rounds through it and never an issue.

Thanks for the replies, I was feeling pretty good about this gun, now I feel a bit better.

How about feeding it ammo? Any problems with JHP or other non round nose ammo?
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    I've been looking for a subcompact in the $400 dollar range. I like the stats on the Taurus PT 645 or 145, the only thing that keeps me from commiting is that it's a double action only. Anybody know if there's a pistol out there that matches the Pt 745 stats but includes DA/SA ?

EDIT: Most gunshops say the gun is DA only however the manufacturer says it's DA/SA, so I'm pretty sure the manufacturer knows what they're talking about. Just looking for a confirm.

Otherwise any owners out there, how do you like it?
    The Taurus PT-145 & PT-745 are both DAO. The PT-745 has a manual safety.

In your price range, a similar pistol would be the Bursa Thunder #T45MP, 3.6" Bbl., 7+1, Blk. Finish, SA/DA
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

drw
    The PT 145 MilPro is single action with a secound strike capability. I use Remington Golden Saber 230 GR JHP in my 145 milpro and it eats it right up. I have tried the occasional box of other JHP's with no issues. The Remington loads are just easy to get in my area.

Mine eats any ammo except Wolf fmj got a box on sale for target pratice. Would jam every other round.All other no problems

Quote Originally Posted by drw View Post
    The PT 145 MilPro is single action with a secound strike capability.
    This is correct for the current generation of both the PT745 and PT145 and iirc for all of the current Taurus autoloader's (with the exception of the 1911's and "small frame" autos). Previous gen's were made as DAO and can still be found if one looks hard enough.

As for similar guns in that price range, you could look for used G36/G30's, S&W MP 45c's, and also the S&W CS45...Oh and though it is a little larger, you might also consider the Kahr CW45.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I've been looking at the Taurus 24/7 stainless steel slide in .45 ACP lately with a buddy of mine who is on the verge of buying one. I like it quite a bit. Seems to have a few options I like that the PT145 didn't have. It's striker fired with a cocked indicator and loaded chamber indicator. Felt great in hand and I really like the sight picture. Check one out if you can find one in the store to compare them side-by-side.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

drw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    This is correct for the current generation of both the PT745 and PT145 and iirc for all of the current Taurus autoloader's (with the exception of the 1911's and "small frame" autos). Previous gen's were made as DAO and can still be found if one looks hard enough.
    You are correct I forgot about the early models.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I was feeling pretty good about this gun, now I feel a bit better.

How about feeding it ammo? Any problems with JHP or other non round nose ammo?
    These guns are very reliable, but are utter junk when it comes to quality otherwise.

I had a PT140 that never malfunctioned a single time. Fed and fired 4 different types of ammo just fine.

However, the trigger pull on the gun was horrific. I never could get used to it. It felt like the trigger on a toy gun, it was so very bad. And accuracy was horrendous. That was the killing point for me. Far inferior to any of my other handguns. Way too frustrating to shoot.

I had been intrigued by the low cost and the compact and lightweight nature of the gun. But after shooting it a couple of times, I realized that I had made a terrible mistake, and sold it a few months later.

Very bad handgun to own. I will never buy another Taurus.

Links