Finally one of the cool kids

This is a discussion on Finally one of the cool kids within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got my permit in the mail yesterday and was able to go pick up my M&P 40. Conveniently my Comptac mtac came in the mail ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally one of the cool kids

Finally one of the cool kids

Got my permit in the mail yesterday and was able to go pick up my M&P 40. Conveniently my Comptac mtac came in the mail the same day. Just need bigger jeans now :-( . Can't carry easily at all till then.

As an aside - should I be able to load a full mag w/out the slide locked back? I've heard of people carrying without one in the hole, but can't figure out how that would technically be possible. Same on the glocks I thought - gotta have the slide locked back to load a mag, then when you release it chambers the round. Am I missing something?

2. Remove Ads

Just slam it in there hard. Load one from the mag either way, then if you want, top it off and slam it in there. It won't hurt anything.....and I mean SLAM IT if you have to.

I see so many guys gently load their guns and there's absolutely no reason to. As soon as you start to put the mag in just slam it from there, don't push it up gently to the stopping point then hit it. You'll get used to it, don't worry.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

A mag can be inserted into the firearm with the slide to the rear or in battery. As a good method of practice, I would insert the mag with the slide to the rear. Slam the mag in as Jonconsiglio mentioned. Then RIP that slide to the rear and let it GO forward. Don't ride the slide forward. Think of it as pushing the weapon forward while trying to rip the silde off of the receiver. You will not harm anything this way. These type of combat weapons are meant to be handled rough.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    As an aside - should I be able to load a full mag w/out the slide locked back? I've heard of people carrying without one in the hole, but can't figure out how that would technically be possible. Same on the glocks I thought - gotta have the slide locked back to load a mag, then when you release it chambers the round. Am I missing something?
    - It sounds like you are talking about "Israeli Carry" where you have a loaded magazine, but the chamber is empty. If that's the case, you would have to rack the slide and manually chamber a round before you're capable of firing. There's currently a thread going about this and there are a lot of past threads.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...in-the-chamber

IMO, it's a bad way to carry a gun. You may not have the ability or time to rack the slide when you need the gun.

Congratulations on your permit!!!!

You don't have to lock the slide to the rear to insert a full magazine. You'll just feel resistance, but as jonconsiglio mentioned, use some force to insert it. Be aware that you will have to rack the slide to load a round in the chamber, which may be a big disadvantage when SHTF.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Congratulations on your permit! This won't exactly make you "cool", but you're a member of the ever increasing crowd, and you can feel a bit more confident about things now.
    Some pistols, some magazines, and some folks seem to have more difficulty with loading a full magazine into their pistol with the slide closed. Various reasons. Ranking these possible reasons in order.........new magazine (tighter spring that hasn't taken the initial set of being fully compressed). Double stack or staggered column magazines may be more difficult in that each and every round needs to be seated fully to the rear of the magazine, and if you ever feel a different resistance while loading a round, attempt to fix this by hitting the bottom of the magazine sharply, then slapping the back of the magazine into your other palm. If that won't seat them correctly, remove the last two loaded rounds and start over at that point. Lots of magazines are more tolerant with the proper seating than others. Some will require less of the user paying attention to detail. Rim on rim for most cartridges in the magazine. One rim overlapping down in the middle or near the bottom will throw off the indexing of all subsequently loaded rounds (in some instances). Secondly, not fully slamming the fully loaded magazine home in the pistol. Remember.....everything is build with certain tolerances. Don't rely on your magazine catch/release to properly index the top round and fully loaded mag to where everything actually needs to be. Slam it home like you mean it as others have stated. Many times, this is most important for breaking in your new magazines and giving the follower and spring somewhat of a break-in and memory at the bottom of the fully loaded mag. I've found myself that this was the case with the G30 and fully loaded 10 round magazines. Many others have expressed difficulties under the same circumstances. Third.....new user....with brand new pistol and brand new mags. You will learn the tool you've chosen inside and out. You'll learn it's nuances and particulars while the both of you grow together in understanding and both you and the pistol will become one in every way. If this doesn't happen over a period of time with you putting in most of the effort, then it's quite possible it's time to find another tool more easily adaptable for you. Often.......many folks get dissuaded rather easily at mechanics that won't adapt to them. Truth be known....if we are to rely on something mechanical.........we are the ones that need to adapt.
    You have my best wishes on finding it all soon. Any hitches, and we'll try to work them out here. You do have support no doubt.

VIP Member
    Well congrats on getting your new permit!!!
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Congrats

Congrats on the new M&P!

When jonconsiglio says "slam it" slam it!
    If you need any info on the M&P's he's the go to guy here at DC

ETA: when you "slam it" let that pinkie hang free...

I forgot lol (1911)

Congrats on the permit.

As far as fit for the mag, on my G26, the regular 10 round mags go in easy fully loaded with the slide forward. But, with a 15 round G19 mag, its a bit of a push to get it in there. My guess is the extra bit of tension cause by the longer spring in the 15 round mag.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Congrats on the new M&P!

When jonconsiglio says "slam it" slam it!
    If you need any info on the M&P's he's the go to guy here at DC

ETA: when you "slam it" let that pinkie hang free...

I forgot lol (1911)

OUCH!!!!!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Congrats on the permit & the new piece
    But please do carry a round in the pipe, you probably wont have those spare seconds available
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Congrats on the permit.

As far as fit for the mag, on my G26, the regular 10 round mags go in easy fully loaded with the slide forward. But, with a 15 round G19 mag, its a bit of a push to get it in there. My guess is the extra bit of tension cause by the longer spring in the 15 round mag.
    That's my experience with my XD as well, the short mag is easy, but you gotta slam the big one in there!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely give that a try. After waiting 5 months for "the leter", and another month for the actual permit, I'm super excited to finally be able to shoot. I'm broke at the moment though, gotta wait till next weekend :-(. Been reading around here for a while, all the advice has been really helpful. Can't wait to get it to a range.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Got my permit in the mail yesterday and was able to go pick up my M&P 40. Conveniently my Comptac mtac came in the mail the same day. Just need bigger jeans now :-( . Can't carry easily at all till then.

I would read your M&P's Owners Manual, this is covered on Page 16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links