New 1911 added to my rotation

This is a discussion on New 1911 added to my rotation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nothing fancy but its definitely a shooter. Rock Island 45 compact (officer model) parked, came with a 7 round ACT mag and I picked up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 added to my rotation

New 1911 added to my rotation

Nothing fancy but its definitely a shooter. Rock Island 45 compact (officer model) parked, came with a 7 round ACT mag and I picked up a chip 7 round mag both function flawlessly.

Went to the shop with the intention of buying a glock 26 but after handling one I didn't like it at all so I started browsing for another 1911. Price was around $460 I think before the ammo and other things I picked up. I have a few full size government models but wanted something smaller to CC so I started browsing the springfield, kimbers and after handling them all I actually preferred the look/feel of this one with price as a complete after thought.

Stripped it down to clean all the factory grease out, oiled lightly and took it to the range with 200 rounds of .45 and my springfield GI government just in case the Rock Island let me down. I'll just say the springer didn't require a cleaning after this range session.

Set the target out to 75 feet just for giggles with an ATF silhouette target, first shot straight to the "heart" of the target. Second shot to the head - dead center, the rest of the mag into center mass grouped about 2 inches firing from a standing position.

I fired off all 200 rounds without any malfunctions which honestly I've never experienced with any of my more expensive 1911's. I bought this as a range toy with the thought I might CC it once in a while but I've been carrying it everyday since. The sucker even fed gold dots right out of the box, chambering the first one took a whack of the slide but after that the rest of the mag feeds fine, the gold dots are so short they tend to nose dive in any 1911. Maybe I got lucky and picked up a good one but I'm definitely going to find out because I need another 2-3 of these Rocks.

Only problem I can't decide if I like the stock grips or not everyone keeps calling them ugly but they've sorta grown on me, any recommendations? I'm thinking some black diamond checkered rubber ones from pach or hogue.

Last edited by LoadedPipes; September 25th, 2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Ads

Nice pick up

I like the stock grips, or stock stocks, whatever y'all call 'em.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Very nice indeed! Thanks for the pic!
    One of these days I'll be back into a 1911 of some sort...no doubt in my mind. On those basic models...yeah...the grips are one of the first things I'd change. I like the finger groove wrap around personally. But I do like my 1911s full size.

I fired off all 200 rounds without any malfunctions which honestly I've never experienced with any of my more expensive 1911's.
    Interesting.

I don't own a 1911, but am looking to get in with a "gateway 1911" like a RIA, Para GI Expert, or Taurus before going whole hog for a Wilson, Kimber, or upper end SA. Honestly, the more and more I read about the RIA's, the more I'm leaning that direction.

Nice pickup!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Congrats!!! Nice gun and good range trip. I just bought my 1st 1911 a week or so ago and it is a RIA 1911 full size GI model and I've been carrying it ever since. I've got the black rubber finger groove wrap around hogue grip on mine and it works out great. I really like your officer model. I get the distinct feeling there are more 1911s in my future...I'd like one like yours. I find the full size no more difficult to carry than any of my other handguns and easier than some.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you like the grips, then stick with them. They don't look bad at all. I personally like the feel of a checkered grip, but that's just my personal preference.

drw
    Congrates on your purches, I would like to grt an officers model

Thats a good looking gun.I've held a few RIAs and think if I ever try another
    .45 it will be a RIA.
    Being able to shoot 200 rounds straight out of the box says a lot IMO.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you're serious about changing grips, look on ebay. They have about 500 on sale at any one time. Some very nice ones too. I've bought 3 pair from a vendor called "shootists" that are super nice fiddleback walnut. Check 'em out!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Very nice! Rock Island is a lot of gun for the money.

Thanks for the grip recommendations everyone, think I'll try some checkered ones on here but keep the stock ones just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I get the distinct feeling there are more 1911s in my future...I'd like one like yours. I find the full size no more difficult to carry than any of my other handguns and easier than some.
    This officers model is great but I find my fullsize just as easy to carry if not easier. The fullsize 5" barrel seems to go down the side of my leg and find a spot to rest behind me especially when sitting where the shorter officer barrel sometimes digs itself right into my thigh.

Congrats on your new pistola!
    For unique grips look here... http://www.esmeralda.cc/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Congrats and enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have the same exact pistol and really like it as well. RI's are one of the best values out there IMO.

If anyone is looking to give the 1911 a try or on a tight budget. The RI's make a good first introductory 1911 IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links