New EDC set-up: "Down-sized".

This is a discussion on New EDC set-up: "Down-sized". within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I've been out of pocket on here, due to a recent PCS move across the country, but I'm back. Just before leaving my last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New EDC set-up: "Down-sized".

So, I've been out of pocket on here, due to a recent PCS move across the country, but I'm back. Just before leaving my last duty station, I dropped a handful of Benjamins on a new set-up. Basically, I got tired of carrying around my full-sized equipment from my LEO days. Decided to go smaller. I'm not a big guy by any means, so it was about time to start carrying gear that concealed and carried better. Below is a picture of the 2 set-ups:

Attachment 21474
    Old: Glock 17, Surefire E2D Exec Defender, Gerber 06 Auto
    New: Kel-Tec P11, Energizer 1W LED, Gerber Mini-Covert

I realize the newer set-up doesn't consist necessarily of the same quality as the old one, but I had to do it. I still carry the other stuff when the climate and season comply, but for EDC the smaller stuff is a lot more comfortable.

Anyway- I'm enjoying the P-11 a lot more since I added the Hogue grips, mag extensions and trigger shoe. For an extra $40 or so, it's like a different gun. Shot groups tightened up significantly.
    Last edited by HardCorps79; September 25th, 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: edit image link
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Link is bad.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

And no, I'm not selling the old set-up. Sorry. I still use it when my wardrobe/local climate allow. Of course, now the wife is making noise about a sub-compact for her...

Link edited. Try again, maybe. I can see it.

That set-up looks good to go just about anywhere in the world you're going IMO. I'm interested to hear of your previous armament since you say you've downsized. Thanks for the pics by the way.....that G17 looks well used, but it's obviously been upgraded with a LCI extractor.
    Semper Fi

Link still not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That set-up looks good to go just about anywhere in the world you're going IMO. I'm interested to hear of your previous armament since you say you've downsized. Thanks for the pics by the way.....that G17 looks well used, but it's obviously been upgraded with a LCI extractor.
    Semper Fi
    Link still not working.
    Thanks. The old set-up is the glock and such on the left. The "downsizing" was going to the P-11 and such on the right. And yes, the Glock is well-used. Have over 3,000 rounds through it and about 6 years of carry both on and off-duty. Had the LCI when i bought it in 2004.

Put about 400 rounds through the Kel-Tec: 200 to break it in, and another 200 to adjust my grip and adapt to the LOOONG trigger pull. One complaint I had was with the finish. Within less than a week of carrying it in a nylon IWB it was showing rust and serious wear around the forward edge of the slide near the muzzle. I spent a night with a pile of rags, a toothbrush, some CLP and a blueing pen, wiped it down with a silicon rag, and now 2 months later with daily carry in a neoprene IWB, I've had no problems.

I'm with it now. Still looks good. I need to look and read more carefully. Whatever makes your clock tick will tell you the time of day tomorrow. There's a reason for everything and for everything there's a reason.

And that 3,000 round count isn't counting my wife's trips to the range with it, nor a fair number of students I've let shoot it. Of course, I suppose I could really light this discussion up with the assertion I've read of a Glock eating 150,000 rounds and needing only a new barrel and springs.

I'm thinking we can leave Glock out of the discussion at this point. What many fail to realize is that being modular doesn't have to hold them to earth in a steadfast way. Most of us know we must be adaptable to any conditions, and willing to change in a heartbeat. Still....that's a very small percentage we're talking about being willing and able to do that.

I like your mini me set up. Its kinda what I did with a KT PF9 but my "big" carry is a Glock 26(LOL). But I really do feel the difference from carrying a single stack from a double stack. Only difference is there is no real "jacket time" down this way so half the time I strap on the "big boy"(LOL) any way.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Honestly, when I went in to buy the gun I had the PF-9 in mind. But they'd just sold the one I had been looking at. The P-11 was literally the only KT left in town, so I went with it, as I was being stationed out of state and wanted it for the trip (long miles in the truck with a full-size IWB would not be comfortable). Ended up being a good decision, as I like the added firepower the double-stack offers. Thus far, I'm happy with the purchase. Still like the Glock under the pillow, though.

Either set-up is a winner in my book. Ironically, I started out small and have found myself up-sizing lately. It's nice to have multiple options based on situation and attire.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Nice set-up.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Why didn't you downsize to a G26? Same platform, receives 17 mags and is a pleasure to shoot and carry. Since your wife is bugging you for a compact for her, give her the Keltec and get yourself a G26.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Why didn't you downsize to a G26? Same platform, receives 17 mags and is a pleasure to shoot and carry.
    I had the same question.
    I had the P-11 and hated the trigger pull, and it was not a 'real range gun joy'...not a bad firearm, just not right for me.
    The Glock-26, however, seems to be everything the P-11 was not.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links