Sig P229

Sig P229

This is a discussion on Sig P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All, Thinking my next gun might be a sig p229 in 9mm... Anyone have experience with one? What are your thoughts? Thanks!...

Thread: Sig P229

Sig P229

Hey All,

Thinking my next gun might be a sig p229 in 9mm... Anyone have experience with one? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Love mine though the 226's see more use, including carry. I'll post more when I get in.

Jonathan
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I Like mine a lot too. It's part of my carry rotation; It's not the DA/SA though, it has a DAK trigger - something I like, but I guess some people aren't that wild about. Nice balance, comfortable grip (for me), accurate and simple to field strip and maintain.

I carry one everyday for work. It's a great gun. I'm really not a 9mm fan and for a 9mm I think it is pretty bulky considering some of the alternatives but that doesn't mean it isn't a reliable work-horse. I use a Galco Skyops (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...63&CatalogID=7) holster which is specifically designed to carry the 229 and it really is a great marriage of the two. Off duty, I choose to carry a Sig 220 Carry but I am considering a smaller Glock 30...but that's still at the consideration stage. Like everything else, put a little thought into clothing, practice, practice, practice and you'll not be disappointed.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I love mine and i carry it during the summer and spring
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Got a 229 in 40 great shooter,I carry in an OWB holster at 8:30 when I'm not carrying a 1911
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Solid choice

I can't speak to the 9mm version, but I've had a .40 caliber P229 for about 8 years and have put thousands of rounds through it. It is one of my most reliable and accurate guns. I understand that the P229 was specifically designed around the .40 caliber cartridge and handles the recoil very well indeed. Mine is DA/SA, and the trigger is outstanding in either mode. The gun is somewhat heavy compared to alternatives like the Glock 23, so you need a good belt and holster to carry it comfortably.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have a Sig P229 .40S&W with the 9mm and .22LR 2-step kits. Excellent gun, no problems with it. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    ... The gun is somewhat heavy compared to alternatives like the Glock, so you need a good belt and holster to carry it comfortably.
    ^ Ditto

Sig P228 is my EDC. I went from the Glock 19 to the Sig and definitely noticed a weight difference. But, as mentioned, a good belt/holster combo will allow for comfortable EDC. I ended up with a CrossBreed SuperTuck and a Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch and couldn't be happier. I love me some Sig. It's my most reliable, most accurate handgun.

I have the original and in my mind slightly more reifned P228...it is a shooter. Cuts ragged bullet holes every time at the range. They are a little bulky and hard to conceal when cpmared to a Glock or the like but they are a great gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I bought one for my daughter to keep as a "home security" weapon while away at college. I put 400 rounds through it before giving it to her and found it very reliable and VERY accurate. So much so that I later bought her a 239 in .40 cal for her veh. gun. Both were very reliable and accurate.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

VIP Member
    An excellent pistol. My agency, the USSS, the FAMs, NCIS, CID, OIS, and numerous other agencies use them (or the VERY close relative, the P228), and I don't see a move by any of them to change any time soon. If you are going with 9mm, I will second the suggestion that you look for a P228 - it is just SLIGHTLY better feeling in my hand and a tiny bit lighter. I have two (P228s), and one of them has 12,000 flawless rounds through it.

Either the 228 or 229 will be accurate, reliable, easy to shoot, easy to maintain, have excellent triggers, and last for years with basic care. Yes, there are lighter pistols that are equally capable, but there is something in the engineering and workmanship of the "classic" Sigs that just oozes quality.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    An excellent pistol. My agency, the USSS, the FAMs, NCIS, CID, OIS, and numerous other agencies use them (or the VERY close relative, the P228), and I don't see a move by any of them to change any time soon. If you are going with 9mm, I will second the suggestion that you look for a P228 - it is just SLIGHTLY better feeling in my hand and a tiny bit lighter. I have two (P228s), and one of them has 12,000 flawless rounds through it.

Either the 228 or 229 will be accurate, reliable, easy to shoot, easy to maintain, have excellent triggers, and last for years with basic care. Yes, there are lighter pistols that are equally capable, but there is something in the engineering and workmanship of the "classic" Sigs that just oozes quality.
    +1
    I've had my 228 for about 9 years now. I don't keep an accurate count, but I've got to be nearing 15000 rounds or so without a single failure, and nothing but operator level maintenance and cleaning (all origional parts still in it).
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Links