Do you have "carry gun rotations"? If so, why?

This is a discussion on Do you have "carry gun rotations"? If so, why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed a number of people refer to guns in their "carry rotation," indicating to me that they carry different models of pistol. I have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have "carry gun rotations"? If so, why?

Do you have "carry gun rotations"? If so, why?

I've noticed a number of people refer to guns in their "carry rotation," indicating to me that they carry different models of pistol. I have a Glock 26 which is my only concealed carry gun. I also have a Glock 17 for home defense and open carry if I'm in the woods. I'm a big fan of having a weapons platform, and the Glocks meet this criteria very well. I have other guns that get range on occasion (1911, CZ, Steyr, Browning HP), but I never carry any of these pistols when I think I might need to use one of them. What is the benefit of carrying several different types of guns in rotation? I understand that sometimes people need a smaller gun, but aside from getting something in the BUG class, why have a carry rotation? Why not just pick what works best for you, and train extensively with that weapon? (I'm not trying to start an argument with people who have a carry rotation, but I want to understand what they think are the benefits of this practice.) Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I have 3 total that i rotate.Why???because i love all 3 of them.no other reason but that.....

Its probaly better to have "one" gun and be proficient with only it. But Im a gun "nut" and cant get enough. So I guess I justify a rotation so I can buy more. I currently carry a Glock 27. I have a G23 for home and winter carry. I have a J-frame for summer shorts. And a Ruger SP101 for carrying in the woods. Now Im trying to convince myself I must have a LCP for pocket carry. Oh yea... Ive GOT to to get a Henry Goldenboy to shoot rats at the barn.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

The reason is applicabality of the platform to the perceived threat. In town I carry a hi-cap nine, in the woods a .357 mag.

I have 12 handguns, and 9 are in SD calibers. I carry based on the situation, attire, carry method, etc. I practice with all of them. Some I carry more often than others, some I carry as a secondary access weapon (weak hand access more than a back-up per se). I have some handguns that are not carry weapons (22s I use for plinking). I like handguns and enjoy shooting different types and calibers. I have had no difficulty carrying or shooting different types of weapons proficiently. I can certainly understand the benefits of having one carry weapon only and being proficient with it and can't fault anyone for that approach. I put 3,000 to 5,000 rounds of various types and calibers down range per year and am comfortable with my ability with any of them. If I had a firearm I was not confident in, I wouldn't carry it. If I had to choose only one, I know which one it would likely be and why. Since I don't have to choose only one, I don't.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Glock 26 for the gym.

Glock 19 for the rest of the time when I'm not expecting trouble.

Bushmaster AR-15 with Federal Soft Points AND a Glock 19 when I'm expecting trouble (either causing it or dealing with it...).

Mossburg 500 loaded with Buckshot when I'm in the mood to ambush someone fiddling with the back door.

That's my carry rotation. :)

cmb
    I would say I do not have a standard rotation per say, I do have certain guns I carry for certain locations I may travel or if I am with the wife or kids... capacity/accesibilty etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    I would say I do not have a standard rotation per say, I do have certain guns I carry for certain locations I may travel or if I am with the wife or kids... capacity/accesibilty etc...
    Pretty much it for me as well. Carry gun rotation? Not really familiar with the term myself. Wasn't aware that this was common practice. I carry according to conditions and circumstances. Doing something different on a time frame, or on a scheduled basis is just simply out of the question for me. My means and methods work for me, and any form of 'schedule' is something I don't need clouding my mind. Instincts are far better IMO. Leave "carry rotation" to the magazines....not the pistols. Just my 2¢

I've never had the impression that when a person uses the term "carry rotation" that they actually have a schedule or anything. I've always taken it to mean an inventory of weapons available to carry. I own some handguns that I do not consider appropriate for carry or self defense. They would be in my overall inventory, but not my inventory of carry guns.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I rotate between a bobtail Colt LW Commander and a Colt LW Government Model and usually carried IWB. I occasionally carry a Sig P238 in a front pocket if I cannot conceal a larger pistol. All three operate the same way.

Variety is the spice of life...

I am a gun nut, I have lots of guns, and I like variety. So I don't carry just one but will use different ones and switch them around based on what I am wearing, what time of year it is, where I am going, etc.

My requirements are that I have shot each one I use a reasonable number of times, am sure that it works reliably, that I have a decent holster for it, and that it fires just by pulling the trigger with no safeties to release first (I don't carry a 1911 any more). I mainly use revolvers, Kahrs, Sigs, Glocks and H&Ks for carry or home defense.

I don't want to draw a gun and pull the trigger, then later discover that it didn't fire because I forgot to release a safety. I don't want to have to think that it is Tuesday so this thing in my hand must be a 1911.
    Last edited by pogo2; September 27th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

GM
    I just change firearm depending of the attire.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've never had the impression that when a person uses the term "carry rotation" that they actually have a schedule or anything. I've always taken it to mean an inventory of weapons available to carry. I own some handguns that I do not consider appropriate for carry or self defense. They would be in my overall inventory, but not my inventory of carry guns.
    Maybe we need to define the meaning of 'carry gun rotation' and set a standard for the definition? Whether or not the OP's intention, this might be something we could clarify amongst ourselves.

I only have two carry guns - either a Glock 26, or Ruger LCP(s). Both are "point and click" weapons.

I only buy guns that serve a purpose - I'm not a collector. I'd rather spend my money on range time and training with the guns I have, than buying more guns. Call me crazy.

I only have one shotgun - A Remington 870 pump. With a 20 inch barrel, it does home defense duty. With a 26 inch barrel, it does trap shooting duty.

I only have one defensive carbine - a Ruger Mini 14. It does what needs doing, at any range that can be reasonably deemed "self defense" in court.

Some day, if I have more time and money, I might get some more guns just for fun. Heck, I'd be happy just to have more time and money for ammo to shoot the ones I already have more often!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Perhaps. I'm going to discontinue the use of the word "rotation" and use the term "inventory." That more accurately describes my situation (i.e. "I've added a 1911 to my carry gun inventory."). I can't speak to what other folks mean when they use the term "rotation." Perhaps they do have some type of schedule or something. For me, I have some I carry more often in the summer or more in the winter, etc. but that has more to do with attire and concealment given the attire.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links