Debating on Gen4 Glock or M&P 40Sw

This is a discussion on Debating on Gen4 Glock or M&P 40Sw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying the g23 for a while now and I love it. So happy I am debating getting another Glock to add to the ...

Thread: Debating on Gen4 Glock or M&P 40Sw

Debating on Gen4 Glock or M&P 40Sw

I've been carrying the g23 for a while now and I love it. So happy I am debating getting another Glock to add to the collection, but the M&P from Smith & Wesson sure does look like a nice piece, and I am liking the fact that the mag release can be switched around.

Doesn anyone here own both? And if so, which one do you prefer.

The glock has never let me down and I love the finish on them....hard as nails.

I am thinking Smith because I'm trying to buy American...I prefer to keep my money going to USA companies and mom and pop shops.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Glock Gen 4 mag release is also reversible. Both makes have interchangeable backdtraps for a wider range of fits and are otherwise similar. I read a lot of threads where people swap out the M&P trigger for an Apex (?) but like the Glock NY trigger, I think that's more of a personal preference than need. Both readily accept conversion barrels for shooting 9mm and .357 Sig, a nice option.

I'd suggest firing both, if possible. One or the other will "click." you'll probably be happy with either, the Glock because you're familiar with it, the M&P to have a variety.

I don't put much into the "buy American" issues, especially in today's economics. With the complications of the business world, even though a company may be "American," its financing obligations and stockholders may be otherwise. If an American company "truely" produces what I what, I'm more than happy to buy that product. If they don't, I'll buy that product from whomever makes it. As for the Mom and Pop stores, they'll sell any and all brands to keep the doors open. What business would sit by with shelves full of Colts or S&Ws when the customer base was demanding CZs and Glocks?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

+1 to what Oldvet said.

I would say, though, if you like how your G23 shoots, it may be a good bet to stick with what you like.

I'd recommend getting trigger time with each.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Would you be looking at another G23 (same just the new generation), a G22 (looking to ad one for home defense maybe, or perhaps reduce recoil), or a G19 (commonality of training in a slightly less expensive 9mm) for Gen 4? Were you even thinking of waiting a few months for a Gen 4 G27?

A word about the Gen 4 Glocks, I know they tightened the tolerances in the frame redesign and there were a handful of issues with frames failing prematurely; while I do believe that the issue has likely been addressed, it's something you'll likely want to do some research on so you're at the very least aware of what to look for.

I compared the Gen 3 G27 to the M&P40c earlier this year. As a lefty in a right handed world, I've developed a certain level ambidexterity over the years so while the M&P offers some nice options that was not going to be a deal breaker, the M&P also has an accessory rail unlike the G27 another positive in their column, and the interchangeable back straps meant there was some room for grip refinement. Then I put them in my hand, the Glock is a much wider gun, and it fills out the web of my hand, a couple pulls of the trigger and I knew right where it was going to break every time. Then I held the S&W right away I noticed it was much heavier while on paper only 2-3 oz heavier the S&W is much more forward weighted, and it sits in a much narrower package, making me feel like there was always extra hand getting in the way, and the trigger take-up felt like it was floating and not connected to anything, and then a much more sudden break. They are both excellent platforms, but in the end I went Glock because it was a much more natural fit in my hand, it felt more balanced and the trigger was more consistent, all three of those reasons are subjective preference that make a world of difference, and while the S&W is thinner, the Glock is still very concealable.

So I can sit here and tell you all about them, but until you hold them you're just not going to know because what's on paper isn't the same as what's in your hand or on your hip. And if you've got a Gen3 G23 that you like, and you're going to look seriously at the Gen4 G23; then I'd also recommend taking a look at and trying out a Gen 3 G23 RTF2, it bridges some of the gap and allows all of your accessories (including magazines) to stay common.

(And my GF who was rather indifferent and I dreaded taking with my to the gun section of stores because it was always "ooo look at that pink gun" loud enough to make my face turn pink, held both and while she could not get her hand around the Glock, was actually quite interested in the S&W, to the point I might be able to talk her into coming to the range if it gets added to the lineup. It's all a matter of how it fits in your hand)

Glock Certified Armorer

You have a tough decision both guns are fine pistols, I have the G19 gen4 and it is a easy recoil and very accurate, I use it for home defense, I don't carry it very often. I owned a G23 and liked it, I wanted to get the 9mm for cost of ammo and that the Kahr PM9 is 9mm also. I shoot Federal 115 FMJ from Wal-Mart $9.50 per box of 50, can't reload much cheaper.

The S&W M&P is a great pistol, my son is a LEO and that is their duty weapon in .40 caliber, he has good things to say about the M&P, he would rather carry a G22, his backup is a G27. Buying American sounds right.

If it was me I would stick with the Glock.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I don't think that just because the name says "compact" means a Glock 23 and a M&P40 compact should be compared. a Glock 27 and a M&P40 compact is much closer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAz_o1ywVPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EMpM6D7v58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvcg-vFiEJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lbq9u-0R24

I like the M&P much better for a lot of reasons, and that is after I have shot many different Glocks. First a lot of different safety options if you’re into safeties or not, that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release (If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 2000 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock that’s why i bought it) Glock=Chevy M&P=Cadillac

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"

Canva844 must not have held these two guns side by side because there is NO WAY that the M&P is "forward Weighted" more than the Glock... They are even in that sense... and to the OP if you do buy a Glock I would NOT buy a 4th gen, stick with the 3rd.. thats just me...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I would go with the M&P, it has much better ergonomics and looks in my opionion. Both will be reliable.

A Smith is also american.

-1 to OldVet about his buy-american comments. That kind of apathy is a big reason why Americans are out of work...just check out all of the foreign cars on the road if you need evidence.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I will probably wind up getting the gen 4 glock, but I'm going to try the M&P at range before I make the buy.

If there was ever a time to buy American....NOW is that time.

I could care less if the said American product cost more. It is the right thing to do, and its a matter of morals for me. I don't shop walmart and I try to avoid giving large corporations my money. I know I can't control the supply chain but I can control where my dollars go.

I did not know the gen4 glock had ambi mag release....hmmmmm....a gen 4 g27 would be sweet. If the s&w feels right I will grab that one.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I would go with the M&P, it has much better ergonomics and looks in my opionion. Both will be reliable.

A Smith is also american.

-1 to OldVet about his buy-american comments. That kind of apathy is a big reason why Americans are out of work...just check out all of the foreign cars on the road if you need evidence.
    How many "American" vehicles are made south or north of the border, and/or are mostly made with foreign-sourced parts...

Compare that to, say, Toyotas which are mostly made here in the US, with US-made parts.

How many Americans does Glock USA employ?

How many foreign investors does S&W have?

It's not as simple as you like to make out.

That being said, I'd again advise the OP to take both for a spin and purchase the one that works best for him, regardless of its origin.
    Last edited by Cuda66; September 27th, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: grammar
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade01 View Post
    I will probably wind up getting the gen 4 glock, but I'm going to try the M&P at range before I make the buy.

If there was ever a time to buy American....NOW is that time.

I could care less if the said American product cost more. It is the right thing to do, and its a matter of morals for me. I don't shop walmart and I try to avoid giving large corporations my money. I know I can't control the supply chain but I can control where my dollars go.

I did not know the gen4 glock had ambi mag release....hmmmmm....a gen 4 g27 would be sweet. If the s&w feels right I will grab that one.
    Not Ambi--reverseable! It can be switched for right- or left-hand use.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    How many "American" vehicles are made south or north of the border, and/or are mostly made with foreign-sourced parts...

Compare that to, say, Toyotas which are mostly made here in the US, with US-made parts.

How many Americans does Glock USA employ?

How many foreign investors does S&W have?

It's not as simple as you like to make out.

That being said, I'd again advise the OP to take both for a spin and purchase the one that works best for him, regardless of it's origin.
    Thanks, Cuda. You, obviously, understand the bigger picture in the "American-made" issues, of which greed--at all leveles of manufacturing--plays a big part.

Own a couple of both, love 'em both, but I'd give the edge to the M&P for speed and shootability, but the edge to the Glock 17 (mine is a Gen 4) for having robust internals. I went with Apex DCAEK kit for 2, Warren tactical sights, 10-8 (rear sight on one and basepads), plugged the thumb safety holes and a little dremeling on the M&P(s) and went with 10-8 rear sights with Warren tritium fronts, 3.5 lb compactor and a gen 3 trigger bar along with the Glockmeister stainless Gen 4 guide rod that locks in differently than the standard and "02" guide rods. I wouldn't give up either, but I lean towards the M&P for a class or working on speed. 'd take the Glock (or 1911) to a carbine class where it has a secondary role and less attention.

Was in a rush the other day and shot these with my phone, so sorry if they're not that sharp..

Gen 4 17

M&P9

Gen 3 17 (prefer the Gen 4)
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Subscribed
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I would stick with the Glock, logistically with mags and whatnt it just makes sense. I would also do it in Gen 3. They are still and will be made for the forseeable future. I just dont care for the gen 4.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links