Glock Advice

Glock Advice

This is a discussion on Glock Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A nice full size Glock is missing from my collection. So heres where I need advice. I really want a G20 in 10mm but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Advice

Glock Advice

A nice full size Glock is missing from my collection. So heres where I need advice. I really want a G20 in 10mm but I don't want to pay $600 for a new one and I cannot find a used one anywhere for a decent price. I found a G22 3rd gen with 3-15 rnd. mags and night sights for $380. I'm torn because I don't have the money to buy both right now and I really want a full size high capacity auto. I'm a revolver guy and own more wheel guns than a human probably should so what do you you guys think about the G22? What would you do, wait for a G20 or get the G22 and later down the road if and when I find a used 10mm worry about it then. I want the 10mm for a hiking/bear gun especially when I go visit my family in Montana. Just looking for some advice I guess...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If you pay more than $539 retail for a 45 or 10mm Glock, you are paying too much. It's $489 for 9/357/40.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

kpw
    The G22 is a great gun and $380 is a decent price for one with night sights if they are still bright. Although it's far from ideal, I wouldn't have too much concern using one against a blackie if I had to....Montana griz on the other hand...
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Do you have a revolver chambered in a caliber suited for bear defense (44 Mag +)? If so, get the G22.

If you don't, you can save up for the 10mm - BUT...I'm not convinced a 10mm is good for bear defense, even in full power heavy FMJ loads.

Really, if I'm that worried about bears, I want a shotgun with 000 buckshot in the chamber (increases the chance of hitting the bear with something with the initial shot) followed up by slugs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    If you pay more than $539 retail for a 45 or 10mm Glock, you are paying too much. It's $489 for 9/357/40.

At the shop here they have a new G20 for $530 and a New G20c (compensated) for $576 For $40 more bucks I would get the 20c but I don't really want to spend that much ya know...

Not worried about bears but it would be nice to tote a pistol with 16 rounds of of some serious 10mm firepower. Also It would be nice to get the 6" barrel and maybe deer hunt with it, just a thought.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

If you want some fire power get the Glock 37 .45 GAP with 10 round mag. I use the HST's 230 grain in mine.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

I have 2 .44 mag revolvers but I want high capacity. I guess a SHTF gun. i love revolvers and always will but it's about time I get a high cap tactical semi auto.

VIP Member
    Is your want/need immediate? If so, then get the G22. If not, wait. Pretty simple decision if you ask me.

That .40 will handle most four-footed nuisances on the trail. Frankly, even the 10mm is likely to be poor protection against an angry bear. I would suggest you keep your eyes and ears open instead.

Just my $.02. Worth what you paid for it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Look, it's no secret that I am a g20 and 10mm proponent. But if you can get the g22 at that price, I say jump on it and here's why; while the 40 is no 10, you can get 180 grain loads from Double Tap that put the 40 in another category. They even make a 200 grain hard cast load pushing 1100 fps out of the 22. I would think that would do ya for anything in the lower 48 states. No, it's not a 10mm, but it will get you thru the night in alot of different enviroments. Later on, you can trade up to a g20, or save yer pennies and buy out right. That is a good deal on the g22, and smart money says jump on it, then time will be on your side. The 10mm is really a sorta speciality caliber, and if you have alot of revolvers, your probably covered. And with the 40, you can get a 9mm barrel and have 2 guns for less than the price of 1 new gun. But, you will still want to get the 10mm in the future

Good points, this is why I asked. Also a 9mm barrel conversion with the 22 will save a ton of money on practice ammo.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hunting bears and attacking bears are like apples and oranges. While calibers like the .44 Mag and larger are certainly ample for hunting bears, where you have the advantage of stealth and ambush; with an attacking bear the advantages are reversed and any handgun caliber is iffy.

If you really want a 10mm, then you won't be satified with the .40. You'll have a .40, but you'll still want the 10mm because you don't have it. Unless you're planning in increasing your handgun collection by "two," buying the .40 now and the 10 later, I'd suggest you hold off and save up for a 10mm. Whenever you settle for less than what you wanted, it only makes the "want" grow larger.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I'd sell one of the 44 mag revolvers and get that G22. Plus some bear spray.

It's a good time to sell one, going into hunting season.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Good points, this is why I asked. Also a 9mm barrel conversion with the 22 will save a ton of money on practice ammo.
    OR convert to .357 SIG. Another option. (You'll need 9mm mags for the 9mm conversion.)
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Buy the G22. 10mm ammo is too expensive.

Why not buy both? Get the 22 now and when you come across a 2 and have the cash go for it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links