Glock 23 w/ light issue

Glock 23 w/ light issue

This is a discussion on Glock 23 w/ light issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am having issues with my Glock 23 going into full battery when I used a Streamlight TRL-1 attached to it. I have read that ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By XNavyflyer
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: Glock 23 w/ light issue

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Glock 23 w/ light issue

I am having issues with my Glock 23 going into full battery when I used a Streamlight TRL-1 attached to it. I have read that the Glock 22 has has this issue, but I can not find any information to confirm this with the Glock 23. I was just wondering if anyone has had simular problems with their Glock 23 and if so if they were able to fix the problem.

I've seen this with the G22, but never the G23. At my agency where this was occurring, it was due to frame flex disrupting the slide cycle. Glock provided us with new magazine springs. That solved the problem.

Wolff +10 mag springs are probably even better than Glock OEM.

FYI: On a side note, I've not encountered the same problem ever again after switching to a Surefire X300. Thanks.

what kind of problems were you having?? jams??
    im looking at getting a streamlight trl-2 for 40cal glock at home just to have a light on it does anyone have some web links for referance on this??

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What generation G23 is it? I may be wrong, but I think this issue with the lights attached is the basis of the Gen 4 Glocks changing to the dual recoil spring, the G22 being mentioned specifically.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Take light off gun.

Problem is now solved.

You're welcome.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Take light off gun.

Problem is now solved.

You're welcome.

Biker
    I'm sure the OP will find this very helpful
    TheRevolverGuy likes this.

I agree with BikerRN, I was trained before we had weapon mounted lights, so we trained with light in your off hand. As to your problem, I have never heard of this with a G23 either. Have you changed the recoil spring or any other parts on the gun? How many rounds have you fired without the light? Any jambs or failures with these rounds? I am trying my best to rule out limp wristing.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I searched around, and even asked a few people in the know, while there is a documented history of the Glock 22 failing with a weapon mounted light, it's not so well documented with it's smaller brother, the Glock 23.

There are a lot of possible causes to the problem, be it equipment failuer or user operator error. The solution to the problem can be found a few ways, I just gave the quickest and easiest solution I know of. Also, having been trained to use a flashlight without a gun attatched to it tends to factor into my decision making on such issues.

Agencies have access to the Service Techs, and a realistic expectation that the firearm manufacturer will find an acceptable solution to the problem. The non-agency consumer has the benefit of the agency doing the "legwork" for them and may be best served by modeling an agency solution.

What does that mean? It means, find an agency that issues the Glock 23 with your light and see what they came up with. I will tell you that you will find more, and probably better solutions in regards to the Glock 22, as it's more commonly issued. When you model their light and gun combo, take the time to use the same ammunition too, as that may be a factor in how a gun performs. For example, some agencies may find that a certain bullet, with a certain light combination, on a ceratin gun will fail with regularity. By changing the ammunition, or the light, or even the gun, the problem may be fixed.

Biker

Biker, if you look at the FAQ on the Streamlight web site they address the issue and blame the mags. GLOCK has supposed addressed the issue with a extra coil in the mag spring.

copy of the article below

Q: Are there Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols?
    A: Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions, either nose down or nose up (stovepipe), when used with tactical lights. The problems tend to occur with individual guns, with some pistols becoming totally unreliable while other identical, even close in serial number sequence, guns have no problems. Most models 22 and 23 are reliable.

A sensitive gun may malfunction with any tactical light - the TLRs, the older M models, and even Glock®’s own brand. There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached.

On the basis of testing by Streamlight, we believe the problem is magazine related. It appears that the rounds are unable to rise fast enough for proper cycling. We have observed proper feeding for the first few rounds, consistent failures at mid-magazine capacity, and a return to proper feeding of the last few cartridges in the magazine.

We have tried both stronger and weaker recoil springs, and compound-action recoil buffers, all without success. Sometimes new magazine springs, either new Glock® or Wolff, will cure the problem. In one case of a pistol which was totally reliable when new but progressed to malfunctioning on every magazine, even with no light installed, we found two solutions which restored reliability, but which might not be acceptable to some users. The first was using 10 round capacity Glock® magazines. The gun will not cycle reliably with 15 round mags with their steeply stacked columns but works flawlessly with 10 round mags. The second solution was a new magazine follower from Brownells®, their part number 069-000-006. When used in a 15 round magazine with a new spring, reliability was restored. However, the follower would not lock the slide open after the last round.

Ammunition is also a factor with any weapon. Some brands and weights may be totally reliable while others jam repeatedly. Make sure your gun is thoroughly tested with your duty ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Biker, if you look at the FAQ on the Streamlight web site they address the issue and blame the mags. GLOCK has supposed addressed the issue with a extra coil in the mag spring.

swinokur,

Streamlight was not something I checked.

Thank you for that. I called three different Firearms Instructors that are familiar with Glocks, from three different agencies and had a chat with them. None, to my knowlege issue the Glock 23 as a duty weapon with a light. I also researched some online pages, but they all dealt with the Glock 22.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post

Aye....that's what Glock recommends. 11 coil springs in the magazines to mitigate this issue. That is, the full size mag springs in the compact magazines. No matter what, Glock is remaining up-to-date with user/aftermarket issues. Be assured, that's why the 4th generation Glocks came about.
    Glock didn't actually blame their magazines for the issue, it was an issue of the aftermarket lights in the balance and harmonics of the frame design with the aftermarket rail lights. Something Glock has known for a while...that's why their OEM rail lights have the batteries aligned vertical as opposed to horizontal.
    TheRevolverGuy likes this.

Sponsored Links