Walther PPK Jams in Attempt to Save 2 Women from Vicious Attack by 3 Pitbull-Mastiffs

Walther PPK Jams in Attempt to Save 2 Women from Vicious Attack by 3 Pitbull-Mastiffs

This is a discussion on Walther PPK Jams in Attempt to Save 2 Women from Vicious Attack by 3 Pitbull-Mastiffs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 52 year old Janelle Dalson was out jogging early in the morning a couple of Fridays ago in Fairfield, CA, when she was confronted by ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK Jams in Attempt to Save 2 Women from Vicious Attack by 3 Pitbull-Mastiffs

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

52 year old Janelle Dalson was out jogging early in the morning a couple of Fridays ago in Fairfield, CA, when she was confronted by a horrific situation: 3 huge Pitbull-Bull Mastiff mixed dogs, each weighing about 100 lbs, came running after her, and proceed to viciously attack her. Dalson vainly tried to fight the dogs off with her hands, which then suffered horrific bite wounds. However, the powerful dogs soon overwhelmed her defenses, leaving her helpless.

Dalson's blood curdling screams broke the early morning silence, and reverberated across the neighborhood. First to arrive on the scene was neighbor Gary Paquet, who lost his composure when he described to reporters the horrific sight that he saw. He said "The 3 dogs actually had her entire body lifted off the ground, and they were literally trying to rip her apart."

Paquet had armed himself with his Walther PPK pistol, caliber .380 Auto. The largest dog challenged him, and Paquet shot the dog a single time in the head, instantly killing it. However, at that point, Paquet's pistol jammed, and he was thus unable to fire any further shots. Despite his best efforts, he could not get the two other dogs off of Dalson.

At that point, two younger women, one of whom was pregnant, came jogging up the street also. The two remaining dogs immediately took off after them, and they managed to catch the pregnant woman after she stumbled, and fell down to the ground. They then proceeded to attack her, just as they had done to Dalson. At that point, another neighbor, John Bettencourt, arrived on the scene with a .22 caliber Ruger pistol. He proceeded to shoot the two remaining dogs in their rear legs. Once wounded, the two dogs broke off their attack, and ran away. Fortunately, the pregnant woman only suffered moderate injuries. She was treated at the hospital and released the same day.

A spokeswoman for the Fairfield Police Department noted that if it had not been for the actions of Paquet and Bettencourt, at the very least Dalson would have not survived the attack. While upgraded to fair condition, she remained in the hospital several days after the attack. Sadly, her employer, a local dentist, told reporters that her career as a dental technician is now probably over. He said that the extensive damage done to her skilled hands is simply far too great for her to ever be able to work in her profession again.

The Fairfield Police Department has requested that the Solano County district attorney's office file criminal charges against the dog owners for allowing vicious animals to run free. Civil lawsuits are also expected against the owners. The surviving dogs were destroyed by Humane Animal Services in Vacaville, CA, a few days after the attacks.

What lessons should be learned from this incident? The biggest one that I see is that a gun owner has to absolutely make sure that his weapon is reliable, and will not malfunction on you in a crisis.

For if a handgun is not reliable, it is virtually worthless. I would personally feel most distraught and beside myself, if in a life and death situation like this one, my handgun jammed on me.

Does the Walther PPK really have that bad a reputation for jamming? My two Walther PPS pistols are perfect in functioning. But then, they have nothing at all in common with the design of the Walther PPK.

Here are some news reports about this incident:

http://www.foxreno.com/news/24973101/detail.html

http://fugitive.com/archives/28286

And here is a photo that authorities took of one of the wounded dogs, before it was destroyed. Can you imagine being attacked by not one, but three of these monsters??

I feel sorry for the poor women. Its too bad that the owners were not euthanized along with the two remaining dogs.

The Walther has long had a reputation for being a finicky feeder.

Many Walther advocates have their PPK's lightly customized in order to enhance reliability.

Newer Walthers are supposed to be more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    The Walther has long had a reputation for being a finicky feeder.
    This would just suck so very bad, to have your gun fail on you when human lives are on the line. I cannot begin to imagine how bad Paquet must have felt at that point.

If he keeps the gun, hopefully he will send it in to Smith & Wesson, or to a good gunsmith.

This is a good example of 9mm or .45 being able to better handle the situation, and as already mentioned...a reliable SD weapon.
    Was this fellow not able to clear the jam? Did he have an extra mag for just such a situation? Did he know his weapon or was it just a gun he happened to have?

How terrible for these women...armed they would have had a much better chance.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Its too bad that the owners were not euthanized along with the two remaining dogs.
    Well, I doubt that they will have a single dollar left to their name, once this is all over.

I certainly hope that they will spend some time in jail too.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How terrible for these women...armed they would have had a much better chance.
    That's a very good point to make. But since this was in California, the chance of them being able to go jogging armed with a handgun to protect themselves is basically nil.

Everyone living there thought that their neighborhood was perfectly safe, and was not dangerous in any way at all.

All guns can fail. This is why I've decided it is better to have 2 smaller guns than one larger one.

I wonder what ammo the PPK was loaded with - FMJ or JHPs. I'm starting to think that JHPs might be a liability, and that we've been fed a line by the ammo makers...a hardware solution (high tech, high cost "defensive" ammo) when what is needed is a software solution (training to put the bullets where they matter). FMJ feeds better, and making sure your gun functions trumps all else.

Interesting that one .380 to the brain dropped the first dog - to hear some folks on this forum, you'd think the .380 would have bounced off the skull...

Anyway - just rambling. Hope the women get lots of money in the civil suit - not that it will really make things right for them.

Wonder what the anti-gun politicians in CA have to say about this? Maybe they need some dog control laws?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Wonder what sort of jam he had that he couldn't clear it pronto? Or possibly he just didn't know how. He gets some points for effort though.

Possibly a stuck case that the extractor had slipped off and would not reengage or extract.

Most likely he did not know how, especially under the pressure. The fact that it stopped up there leads me to believe he may not have practiced with it regularly enough to notice the problem at other times (or did know about it, and did nothing about it). Either that, or he really limp wristed it under the pressure.

At any rate, still glad he made it. Can't imagine how bad it would've been had no one been armed. How long would it have taken for PD to arrive at the scene? Far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is a good example of 9mm or .45 being able to better handle the situation, and as already mentioned...a reliable SD weapon.
    How is this evidence for a 9mm or .45? The gun's caliber had nothing to do with this situation, and in fact the one round he got off was quite effective. This actually is a demonstration of the .380 being an effective self-defense round.

Anyway, it's a good thing that these two gentlemen were around to fend off this attack. It's a shame it happened at all.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I feel sorry for the girl.
    I feel sorry for the pregnant woman.
    I feel sorry for states that dont trust there residents to carry.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    All guns can fail. This is why I've decided it is better to have 2 smaller guns than one larger one.

I wonder what ammo the PPK was loaded with - FMJ or JHPs. I'm starting to think that JHPs might be a liability, and that we've been fed a line by the ammo makers...a hardware solution (high tech, high cost "defensive" ammo) when what is needed is a software solution (training to put the bullets where they matter). FMJ feeds better, and making sure your gun functions trumps all else.

Interesting that one .380 to the brain dropped the first dog - to hear some folks on this forum, you'd think the .380 would have bounced off the skull...

Anyway - just rambling. Hope the women get lots of money in the civil suit - not that it will really make things right for them.

Wonder what the anti-gun politicians in CA have to say about this? Maybe they need some dog control laws?
    I shot a Rot/Pit Bull mix in the head as it charged me with a .40 S&W 180 grain Golden Sabre fired from a Glock 22. The bullet rode around the outside of the skull and didn't penetrate. My second round took the dog through the lungs as it reared up and turned sideways from the impact of the head shot. The head shot alone was not enough, I suspect its all about placement on the skull more than bullet type or caliber.

As for JHP ammunition, for me it really depends on what cartridge I am using. Anything smaller than 9x19mm I prefer a solid bullet, either a FMJ or a hard cast FN or SWC. I use JHP in 9x19mm to prevent too much penetration. I generally use JHP in .45 ACP also, but I wouldn't have a problem using FMJ or a good FN. For large caliber revolvers I like a large meplat FN or SWC.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    How is this evidence for a 9mm or .45? The gun's caliber had nothing to do with this situation, and in fact the one round he got off was quite effective. This actually is a demonstration of the .380 being an effective self-defense round.

Anyway, it's a good thing that these two gentlemen were around to fend off this attack. It's a shame it happened at all.
    It's an opinion only, and not backed up with charts and facts. Now, if you had a couple of charging dogs coming your way...two pistols in your pocket...a KelTec P-3AT or a Kimber in .45, you'd pick the KelTec? I guess if you wouldn't prefer one over the other then I see your position, but my instincts would say the larger the lead, the better...that's my only point.

Respectfully submitted,
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links