Springfield XD .40 - FTF...Lots of FTF.

This is a discussion on Springfield XD .40 - FTF...Lots of FTF. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My best friend, after shooting my wife's XD9, and loved it, decided it felt better in his hand than his Glock 22, and traded it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD .40 - FTF...Lots of FTF.

Springfield XD .40 - FTF...Lots of FTF.

My best friend, after shooting my wife's XD9, and loved it, decided it felt better in his hand than his Glock 22, and traded it for a Springfield XD.40. In the 1 time he took it out to the range with me, and I took it to the range by myself this past week, it has failed to feed about 8-10 times out of 150 rounds (plus he took it out with his Dad and had the same problem, but I'm not sure how many rounds they put through). YES, this is A BIG PROBLEM. It seems that the feeding ramp has too great of an angle, causing the problem. I keep telling him to contact Sprinfield ASAP, as this is his only home defense weapon...and not one I would EVER trust my life to.

Anyway, anyone have any similar experiences?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

I had a problem with my SA XD40 SC when I first got it, worked great with the small mag., problem was with the extended mag. Called SA, they sent me a free label to send it back and they sent me a new mag., no more problem. SA is really great to deal with, their CS is wonderful. He should contact them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I can't actually say how many rounds I have through my .40 XDsc but I've shot many different brands of ammo and never had a single FTF or any other type of issue. I'd completely agree, he needs to get it checked out because it most certainly shouldn't be having those issues. If the pistol is a used one, maybe try a new mag and see if that stops the FTFs.

I've run several thousand rounds of all different makes through my XD40 4" (HP and FMJ, 135gr to 180gr), and have never once had a feed failure or ejection failure. The only failure to fire I've experienced (one round) was because of a primer in a Blazer 180gr aluminum cased range round that was seated sideways (my fault because I didn't look closely when getting it out of the box and loading the mag).

Something's obviously up with your friend's XD. Call Springfield and they'll make it right.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I have had a few FTF when I first got the XD40SC. I was limp wresting it. that may be his problem too. I now have at least 1K through it and this has not happened in 400 rounds.
    shoot more. have others try it also. see if it is him. that would help in knowing the error.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I have ran a few different kinds of ammo(crap to good) through my XD40 and haven't had a single FTF.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Feeding problems are usually tracable to the magazine. Most feed ramps are steep and depend more on the force of the slide to feed the round than the angle of the ramp. Two things I would try before sending it back, different mag and polishing the ramp.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sounds like a magazine issue. SA will make it right. He needs to call them ASAP. I have a XD40sc and have about 800 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. The good news is mag issues are easily corrected!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If it's a used pistol, chances are it hasn't been maintained properly and the mags may be gunked up. I'd break them down, surgically clean them, and try it again. If it failed again, off it goes. Many shooters don't realize how much powder and gunk gets into mags and blame them for the failure to work properly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    An XD that has failures is not normal. Not acceptable. If it has more than one magazine, see if it's magazine related. Contact Springfield.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    ;Has anyone else tried shooting it to help eliminate the possibility of "shooter" error?

Most ftf problems that a "new" shooter has are simply caused by "lack of experience". However, magazine issues and ammo choice has been noted with the XD and other firearms.

I would first take the pistol and mags apart and give them a thoruough and proper cleaning. Then, have an "experienced" shooter give it a tryout at the range; (using "different" types of ammo). If the issue still exists, take it to a qualified GS or send it to SA.

BNG has it right problems with an XD are rare and unacceptable! Though (just like any manufacturer), they sometimes happen. Like OldVet said it's probably been poorly maintained. So clean it; and have an experienced shooter give it a try before jumping to any conclusions.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I agree (mostly) with the above advice:

--Thorough cleaning on the guns and mags.
    --evaluate your friend's technique (make sure he isn't limp-wristing)
    --check your ammo (my XD has ate everything EXCEPT CCI Blazer Aluminum cased ammo)

I would not polish the feed ramp myself--send it to Sprinfield, let them back their product.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

My XD 40 in the 4" has shot everything I ever wanted to throw at it. Steel, aluminum, brass, rocks, whatever. In over 3,000 rounds never one failure.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd also check to see if it has the proper recoil spring, not some over stiff aftermarket version that's interfering with the slide action.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No issues with either of my XDs. I love them and trust my life with them just as much as my old duty G19 and S&W Model 64.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links