Troubles on deciding....

This is a discussion on Troubles on deciding.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all~ Currently I am carrying a S&W M&P .40, now I'm looking for something smaller. To be quite honest, my head is spinning from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troubles on deciding....

Troubles on deciding....

Hey all~

Currently I am carrying a S&W M&P .40, now I'm looking for something smaller. To be quite honest, my head is spinning from all the reading and reviews on everything I'm considering.

Kahr PM .45

Glock 36 or 30

Taurus PT 145 or 745

Overall it would seem that all are good guns, some better than others, and some less. But I seem to read about some what "common" problems with both Kahr and Taurus. This discourages me as these two I would seriously consider. I've shot Glock, certainly reliable, just a little odd fitting for me, which I'd be willing to live with. I'm just lost, do Kahrs and Taurus's really have as many complaints as I read about? Sorry for the book, just want the best firearm. Thoughts, suggestions, and opinions welcome.
    Fiend

2. Remove Ads

My Glock-36 is a fine gun, a .45, and the thinnest grip of all the Glocks.
    Easy concealment, a great shooter, and dependable.
    At least pick one up, you'll be very surprised.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retsupt99~

Have you had any problems, FTFs, jams?
    Fiend

Welcome to the forum!

If it were me, I would go with Glock 36, Glock 30 then Kahr PM45 in that order.

I can't see how you can beat a glock. Don't let the feel of a gun in your hand dictate your purchase. You can overcome that with practice and something as simple as handling it at night while watching tv. I have become so used to the grip angle of the glock that a 1911 feels foreign. Make your choice based on track record, and what you will use it for.

Every time I read reviews and search the more a Glock seems to fit what I'm looking for. Reliability is big for me along with concealment. If it won't conceal well or won't be comfortable to carry, then it won't do me any good because it will sit. Kahrs certainly seem to be the smallest, not by to much compared to the Glock though.
    Fiend

No matter how hard I tried, I could never get used to the huge grip of the G30. It was also very thick to carry IWB. I went with a G32 in .357 Sig and all is well.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Glock ergonomics

You mentioned that Glocks are a little "odd fitting" for you. I noticed the same thing when I first bought a couple of Glocks about 10 or 12 years ago. They certainly had a different grip than other guns I had at the time.

But I liked the reliability and simplicity of the Glocks, so I persisted in practice with the two guns, and they began to feel more normal to me. Once I became accustomed to the Glock grip the ergonomics were no longer a problem.

So of your candidate guns I would tend to go with the single stack Glock 36, which conceals very easily. The larger capacity Glock 30 seems too wide in the grip for me.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I, too, overcame my initial concern with the Glock grip. I carried a Kimber for two years, and loved it for ease of carry and natural pointing. However, I have simply had too many glitches with it. I just had it worked on two weeks ago, but it has been relegated to the safe. I now carry a Glock 19. Never had even one minor issue with it. It can be carried easily, although not as snugly as the Kimber Ultra. I simply don't worry about it. It's tough as nails, reliable, and with 15 rounds, I feel far from undergunned.

If you want a gun as a reliable tool and not a hobby, my advice is to go Glock and forget the rest. I wish I had learned that earlier. It would have saved me a lot of money and headaches.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've owned several Glocks and a Kahr K9. I still have the K9. Never had a problem with it in any respect. Much trimmer and more compact than a Glock and easier to maintain.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Feel in the hand at a gun counter and feel in the hand on the range are too COMPLETELY different things. I love the way a 1911 feels and shoots and I NOW love the way a Glock feels after running it a bit.

Taurus would never be on a list of carry guns for me for a number of reasons. From your list, it would be the Glock. I don't care for small guns but the 30/36 and M&P 45 compact are good guns. I'd rule the M&P out if the 45 compact was the same size as the 9/40/357, but since it's not, I'd consider it an option.

As guns get smaller, they get less reliable in most cases. From your List, I'd go Glock. Off of your list, I'd look at the compact M&P45. Kahr's are nice, but I wouldn't carry one as my everyday carry, they're more of a special purpose gun, but that's just me.

Jonathan
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Keep your M&P and buy a small pocket auto or j-frame gun for those days you don't want to "suite up".

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Maybe think outside the glock box. HK and SIG come to mind. Just sayin'....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only negative I can think of with my G30 is it gets heavy, as will any higher capacity .45 handgun. The grip is okay for me, wouldn't want it any bigger. I've held the 30SF and couldn't tell any difference, but many can. I guess I fall into that hand size that can't.

If you don't mind carrying a few less rounds of .45, the G36 is an ideal candidate--lighter, thinner. In hindsight, I think I would get the G36 over the G30 if I were to do it over again. The one big advantage the G30 has is that a G21 13-rd mag with a mag sleeve makes a great HD package or spare carry mag. Maybe I should get a G36 also and solve the delimma.

Never fired the others, so no opinion expressed there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    So you don't want the M&P Compact .40?
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links