Kel-Tec 9mm

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering, Has anyone had any experience with the Kel-Tec 9mm ? Thinking of getting one but can't find info on it. Have a P3AT, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec 9mm

Kel-Tec 9mm

Just wondering, Has anyone had any experience with the Kel-Tec
    9mm ?
    Thinking of getting one but can't find info on it.
    Have a P3AT, But wife decided she owns it now after getting her CCW License.

Thanks
    jim

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Well I've shot the P-11, and it seems to be about like any kel-tec. It goes boom everytime, but it has an extremely long pull/reset and heavy trigger. The PF9 is supposed to be hitting the stores late August sometime. I'll probably get one of those when they have the Hard Chrome available.

Got it. Love it.

Just realize what this gun is. Small, light, long triggered, very concealable 9mm handgun.

It won't be the most accurate or most comfortable gun you will ever own, but for it's intended purpose it's perfect.

I've got the P11. I hate the trigger pull but otherwise it goes boom when you pull the trigger. I carry a Kahr P9 which I love but a much more expensive gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I'll jump in about the trigger pull with everyone else. I don't have one, but my wife bought one to carry. After less than one full magazine she was complaining that she could not pull the trigger any more. She has had no problems with other DAO pistols, but she did with a S&W 638. I fired the rest of that mag and another hoping to get the trigger to loosen up some. By the time I got through with those I knew that it was not the trigger pull, but the trigger and trigger group that were her problem. The trigger might loosen up, but it was always going to be as long as it was and it was going to be a problem for her. I didn't tell her that. Instead I told her to try firing it some more. She fired about 2 more rounds and told me to sell it or take it to the gunshow I was going to in two weeks and trade it for something she could shoot. So my advice is to borrow or rent one and fire it. If you can live with the trigger and like the gun get one. If you can't live with the trigger forget it and wait on the PF9 which is supposed to have a much better trigger.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I know a guy who has one and he loves it. It's more accurate than I thought, highly concealable, and most important of all, it goes "bang" every time he pulls the trigger. Good gun made even better by its modest price.

RTK
    I had a P-11 for awhile and used it as my primary (I also have a P3AT). I never felt overly confident with my accuracy with it so I traded it off on a XD sudcompact 9. I never had any issues regarding reliabilty with the P-11, but I just couldn't steer it very well. As for the XD, it steers like a dream! Like others, I will be interested in seeing the PF-9 when it comes out, although I would want to wait before making a purchase to make sure all the manufacturing issues (If any) are ironed out.

I have one. Had it for 1.5 years now. Have ran about 8000 rounds (100 rounds a week) thru it. I feel very confident in it. I carry it everywhere. Great carry gun very easy to hide. I carry it most of the time in my front pocket. In an Uncle mike's pocket holster.
    Yes the trigger pull is long, But if you shoot your carry gun you get use to your carry gun. And then it's all second nature to you.
    Tom

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"...a government of the people, by the people, for the people...."

Thumbs up

I have one also.I've had it now for about 6 years.It is a totaly reliable gun,light,easy to conceal and a great ccl pistol.The trigger is long and fairly hard,but you won't have to worry about it going off accidently.Once you get used to the trigger it is fine to shoot.I can tell by feel just before it breaks,so I take it to that point,aim,then shoot.It is also a pretty accurate little gun once you learn how to shoot it.sj

VIP Member

Had one

It is a good small and light carry piece but due to problems with my right hand I just could not master that looooong heavy trigger. Did get a nice deal when I traded it for a Firestar 9MM though. If you go to www.KTOG.org their tech section has some suggestions for improving trigger pull.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I had one for several years and gave it to my dad when I got my Kimber. It would beat the hell out of your hand to shoot any more than 50rds at a time and the trigger sucked but it never had a single problem unlike my $1000 Kimber. Great little guns. Don't hesitate to buy one.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I've got a P11, love it. Trigger pull is long but it has a lighter spring 8 pound I think. Very enjoyable to shoot. Have had no failures as yet.

Got one when they first came out, still have it, love it. Ugly, but 10 rounds of 9mm (15 with S&W mags) from something smaller than most .380s? Hard to beat for money, reliability and ugly...

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Well, looks like it's up to me to spoil the party. I bought a P11 last year, when I realized that with the Vegas summers, I would need a pocket pistol. It is the biggest piece of trash (I would prefer to use another adjective, but I am substituting trash for decorum) that I have ever bought. It sits in my safe, and will probably never come out. Why do I hate this gun? well, let's begin:
    1) The trigger pull is way too long. More than that, it's hard. Firing just 1 or 2 mags, rubs a blister on my finger. I had to wear Band-Aids on my index fingers just to be able to qualify with it for my CCW.
    2) Reliability is poor. The first magazine, I had multiple failures to feed, failures to extract, stove piping, etc (FMJ ammo, not hollow points). My first range session, the gun jammed so badly that I had to have a gunsmith clear it.
    3) Breakdown and reassembly is more difficult than it should be. I took mine apart to clean it, and I couldn't get the spring to compress enough for the reassembly. Embarrassed, I took it back to the gun shop for help. The owner, who carries a P11, had trouble with the reassembly.

Now, I had a "fluff and buff" done by the gunsmith when he cleared the jam. It did improve feeding. And, I could send it back to Kel-tec to have a better trigger installed. But quite frankly, if I need to do all that, I would rather just buy a better gun. Products should perform their basic function straight from the box. If I buy a TV, it may require some minor adjustment. But I should see a picture and hear sound. If it doesn't do that. it goes back. I shouldn't have to waste a C note on ammo just to have it perform correctly. I may have to experiment with different brands of hollow points to see what works best in the gun. But if it won't feed ball ammo, it doesn't do it's basic job. Regardless of the amount of improvement, I will never feel that I can trust my life to this gun. So, it will sit in my safe until either I can get close to what I paid for it back, or the if "the digestive waste product strikes the rotating oscillator", I can use it as a trade gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links