what's the best .380 pocket pistol? - Page 12

what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

This is a discussion on what's the best .380 pocket pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The LCP is a great option as well. Love'em!!!...

View Poll Results: what's the best .380 pocket pistol on the market today?

Voters
757. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kel Tec -p3at

82 10.83%
  • Ruger-lcr

135 17.83%
  • Kahr-p380

90 11.89%
  • DiamondBack .380

10 1.32%
  • Sig-p238

192 25.36%
  • S&W BodyGuard .380

98 12.95%
  • other

150 19.82%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

The LCP is a great option as well. Love'em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
    I have a Sig P238 Equinox version and I couldn't be happier with it.
    My dad would echo your post as well. :)

LCP. I love this little pistol for pocket carry and at the price point, you can't go wrong

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Just bought and brough home today the Smith and Wesson Body Guard .380. My Glock G27 is too big for summertime shorts and pocket carry. I looked at the Sig, Ruger and consider the Beretta Nano. Nano was cool but still big for this type of carry. The Sig is awesome but I stuck a budget on myself and I liked the Bodyguard's feel and the way the laser worked better than the Ruger's.

Love my S&W 380 Bodyguard 1st and second goes to the Ruger LCP

I said it once I will say it again. Every single one of the pocket 380 platforms are spotty in regards to reliability. Find one that works good and hang onto it. It may be your first one or you may have to go through a few. Find one that has the features, looks, and feel you like and buy it.

In regards to the poll, the one everyone has that works without issue is the best. Me? I got lucky with a p3at and I am hanging onto it.

Sig P238 for me (at least until I can find a P938)
    gottabkiddin likes this.

German or interarms walther ppk. Without question the best.
    steves2 likes this.

Did they ever get the FTF problems fixed with the 380's?? I need a ccary gun to be reliable and I have yet to see a 380 that does not have frequent FTF problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mascariot View Post
    Did they ever get the FTF problems fixed with the 380's?? I need a ccary gun to be reliable and I have yet to see a 380 that does not have frequent FTF problems.
    My LCP has not had one single FTF yet, say probably 500-600 rounds so far.
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

S&W Bodyguard here. Like the way it feels and shoots, easy to conceal. But I just recently picked up a Diamondback DB9, that is on basically the same size, but 1/2" longer that could end up replacing the BG.
    S&W Bodyguard .380
    Glock 42
    Glock 26
    Glock 33
    Steyr M40

Best pocket pistol? Can't say because so much depends on who will be using it. I can certainly say "None of the above" if the user is my wife, for the simple reason she doesn't do well with very small pistols and for medical reasons can't tollerate much recoil and can't work the slide on most of them. A couple days ago I ordered a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal for just those reasons - if the .327 Fed cartridges have too myuch recoil w'll step dow to .32 H&R or even S&W Long.

For myself, I was carrying two today. One definitely won't make the top of the "best" list as it is a .25 ACP Beretta 950B. Glaser Safety Slugs are available for it though, with a claimed 1100fps velocity. Should amp up the effectiveness a bit over slower, 50g FMJ and maybe over the 35g HP's from Speer or Hornady.

Most of the time my pocket pistol is a stainless Walther PPK/s .380. Still not my favorite defensive pistol (that goes to my 15-round Browning BDM 9mm or 7-round Kimber Compact .45), but very reliable and I have a lot of confidence in it at defensive ranges. It fits my hands better than the smaller pocket pistols and recoil is so mild as to be a non-issue.
    Last edited by CoyoteHunter; April 28th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Whatever you buy and like and have confidence it---THAT IS THE BEST 380! This is like the old wine or cigar question. What is the difference between a $2 cigar and a $10 cigar or what is the difference between a $4 bottle of wine or a $40 bottle of wine. The answers are obvious----$8 and $36. If you like it and are happy with it, it is the best. Nice to get opinions but you gotta use your own head and due diligence instead of relying on faceless people.
    Good answer! I asked a shop owner that question and asked if he had a Kimber Solo and when he didn't, asked for an LC9 and he laughed to his employee that I went from a caddilac right to economy! Talk about arrogance! The LC9 is much more affordable and hasn't had ANY of the problems that are reported with the Kimber Solo! With the LCP, I carry that the few places the LC9 doesn't fit the bill for (which I am finding fewer places by the minute as I get appropriate holsters for the LC9) and it is a great gun and LESS than half the price of the P238 (and there are quite a few people having problems with them as well/and Sig. fans, please don't jump on me for this as I am a major Sig. fan and carried the P239 as my off-duty gun for several years!)
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

I love my Elsie! (LCP)

I didn't vote on this poll, but I did at one time own a Kahr P380. The Kahr was a pretty pistol, had good sights and felt to be of very high quality. BUT, after nearly 1000 rounds, I was still having 2-3 fte's or ftf's per box of ammunition. I guess I prefer perfection in my handguns.........so this was unacceptable to me and I sold it. My Kahr experience as a VERY expensive one. I haven't calculated my "cost of ownership" of the Kahr, but I'm sure it was over a grand not including my pain and frustration. I wanted a bug to carry.....my primary is a Sig Sauer P220. After my "Kahr Experience" I decided to go old school and acquired a Smith 642 and Ruger LCR, both 38+p's. My reasoning is as follows: 1) They are more reliable as a class of firearm than pocket pistols, 2) They shoot rounds that are more potent than even the most powerful 380 ammo, 3) They are cheaper to maintain (no recoil springs, mag springs to replace, etc, etc.), 4) They can and are range guns for me. I shoot a revolver every week along with my pistols. Most of those little 380's are painful at best to shoot.....I don't believe in carry a lot, shoot a little. The only drawback to me is that the revolvers are a little thicker in the cylinder area than the pocket pistols, but I'm willing to accept that one drawback in order to realize all the positives posted above. I know some of the little 380's are very light, but my Ruger LCR coming in at 13.5oz is in no way a heavy pocket gun.

There's are good reasons that pocket revolvers to this day retain their popularity as ultimate pocket guns........

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Links