what's the best .380 pocket pistol? - Page 13

what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

This is a discussion on what's the best .380 pocket pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MLittle I didn't vote on this poll, but I did at one time own a Kahr P380. The Kahr was a pretty ...

View Poll Results: what's the best .380 pocket pistol on the market today?

Voters
787. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kel Tec -p3at

84 10.67%
  • Ruger-lcr

140 17.79%
  • Kahr-p380

96 12.20%
  • DiamondBack .380

10 1.27%
  • Sig-p238

198 25.16%
  • S&W BodyGuard .380

101 12.83%
  • other

158 20.08%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I didn't vote on this poll, but I did at one time own a Kahr P380. The Kahr was a pretty pistol, had good sights and felt to be of very high quality. BUT, after nearly 1000 rounds, I was still having 2-3 fte's or ftf's per box of ammunition. I guess I prefer perfection in my handguns.........so this was unacceptable to me and I sold it. My Kahr experience as a VERY expensive one. I haven't calculated my "cost of ownership" of the Kahr, but I'm sure it was over a grand not including my pain and frustration. I wanted a bug to carry.....my primary is a Sig Sauer P220. After my "Kahr Experience" I decided to go old school and acquired a Smith 642 and Ruger LCR, both 38+p's. My reasoning is as follows: 1) They are more reliable as a class of firearm than pocket pistols, 2) They shoot rounds that are more potent than even the most powerful 380 ammo, 3) They are cheaper to maintain (no recoil springs, mag springs to replace, etc, etc.), 4) They can and are range guns for me. I shoot a revolver every week along with my pistols. Most of those little 380's are painful at best to shoot.....I don't believe in carry a lot, shoot a little. The only drawback to me is that the revolvers are a little thicker in the cylinder area than the pocket pistols, but I'm willing to accept that one drawback in order to realize all the positives posted above. I know some of the little 380's are very light, but my Ruger LCR coming in at 13.5oz is in no way a heavy pocket gun.

There's are good reasons that pocket revolvers to this day retain their popularity as ultimate pocket guns........
    If you would like an auto that goes bang everytime, get an LC9 (if you want a 9mm). I also have the LCP and have approx. 700 rounds through it. The only FTF was the first 2 weeks and I figured out it was the magazines needing to be broken in. After 2 weeks of leaving the ammo in the clips, I have not had a misfire since (that is in the last 650 rounds and all target ammo.).
    My LC9 has approx. 700 rounds and no misfires (and that included 100 rounds of 20yr. old target ammo!)
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

Bersa Thunder 380....best price, less recoil, reliable, comfortable....a little larger than the LCP and other pocket pistols but for my money it's the best value

This is my grail .380 pistol and I will latch onto one someday. May not be the most modern, smallest, thinnest, or lightest, but arguably whips even the Walther PP and PPK for sheer elegance in .380 ACP chambered pistols. It still is pleasingly thin and very snag-free. Also very robust and dependable but then it would be since it's design originated with John M. Browning. It's much more appealing than any of these modern .380s to at least one Forum member.

Colt Model 1908 .380 ACP

With apologies to CXM from whom the fine photos were thieved.
    pistola, NONAME762 and 45ACP4ever like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

i Have a kel-tec p3at and love It. No problems with it. Its very light and very slim.
    No big deal but it doesnt have a slide release so it wont hold open after the last round is fired. I guess they did this to reduce weight

I have tried many and ended up with the Kahr P380. A worthy substitute for the Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

380 pocket pistol... SW380

The best pocket pistol I've ever owned is either SW390 or SW9mm if you can keep your absent minded fingers off the trigger. That's all the safety is, the trigger safety and when in a real hurry, having to remember to remove the safety can cause you your life.... but shooting yourself from inside you pocket can really hurt. I've been carrying concealed since I was 16 well before the 1968 gun control stuff. My German Shepard was by best defense.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I just bought a s&w bodygaurd 380, and so far after about 400 rounds, I love it. Why is this gun so unliked? Is there any majors problems anyone has found with this gun?

That's a sweet gun..... Dillinger and Patton loved them
    pistola likes this.

Lcp better than S&W Bodyguard 380?? Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by brianalisa View Post
    If you would like an auto that goes bang everytime, get an LC9 (if you want a 9mm). I also have the LCP and have approx. 700 rounds through it. The only FTF was the first 2 weeks and I figured out it was the magazines needing to be broken in. After 2 weeks of leaving the ammo in the clips, I have not had a misfire since (that is in the last 650 rounds and all target ammo.).
    My LC9 has approx. 700 rounds and no misfires (and that included 100 rounds of 20yr. old target ammo!)
    X2. My LC9 has been flawless and not too bad in the pocket in cargo shorts. I love Momma's LCR as well.

I have a sig p238 that replaced my old diamondback 380. I could not run more then 50 rounds thru the db without a ftf or a fte. I have over 500 rds thru he sig and no issues at all. Easy to shoot, little recoil for a small pistol. Kind of pricey but my personal protection is worth the extra few bucks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brklynzoo View Post
    I just bought a s&w bodygaurd 380, and so far after about 400 rounds, I love it. Why is this gun so unliked? Is there any majors problems anyone has found with this gun?
    Who says the pistol is unliked? Are you are basing your question on the poll for this thread? This thread has been running for some time. The Bodyguard had been out less than a year when the poll was started. The poll was actually more a statement of what .380 pistol a person owned or had shot more than an objective review of any particular micro sub compact "mouse gun."

I can tell you that the S&W .380 Bodyguard is an extremely popular pistol and has been, as expected, a major success for S&W. The Bodyguard addresses almost all of the flaws found in earlier "first generation" micro sub compact pistols offered by other manufactures in the same class. It is lightweight, very good fit and finish, fairly comfortable to shoot, is not a simple blowback design. It is a lock breach design with less felt recoil than blow-backs from other manufactures. It has real iron sights front and rear, a manual safety and an internal laser. It is also priced right.

Drawbacks I have noticed is the long trigger pull. The trigger is what should be expected of a DAO with second strike. It is no different than the others except the single action Sig P238 (not really in the same class as any of the others polled). The manual safety (tab) is not easy to use one handed and could get you killed while fumbling to release it with the weak hand. The .380 Bodyguard is surprisingly accurate up to 7 yds. It is all I would expect from any belly gun. The laser is again not something you are going to want to fumble with if you only have a couple seconds to react. I'm not a fan of lasers on small point and shoot guns. They may have some use for training but does add to the cost if you don't need it or want it. No laser is not an option with the .380 Bodyguard. It might actuly hep balance the pistol though so it does have a purpose wheather you use it or not.

Probably the biggest issue is Reliability . It just does not like certain ammo. If you shoot CCI/Speer or Federal Premium (feeds just fine for me) reliability becomes a non issue.

I have an LCP and a bodyguard. I think they are a toss up as far as reliability and accuracy. My wife has tried both, likes them both but tends to practice more with the bodyguard and takes it instead of the LCP when she carries which is maybe about 50% of the time (not including her work where she cannot carry or have a weapon on work property, even it the car).
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Nice review. I have had no problems with my 380 Bodyguard. Concur that it has a long trigger pull which takes awhile to get use to. Again, nice review.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by major4608 View Post
    Nice review. I have had no problems with my 380 Bodyguard. Concur that it has a long trigger pull which takes awhile to get use to. Again, nice review.
    The trigger is long. That is characteristic of the LCP, the P3AT, the DB 380 and others. The Bodyguard trigger while long is fairly smooth. If you don't practice much you will probably have a tendency to jerk and pull to the left. If you grip tightly (almost until it hurts) with the non trigger hand it can help with control while you are adjusting to the long pull. Plenty of practice is the only real cure though.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links