what's the best .380 pocket pistol? - Page 6

what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

This is a discussion on what's the best .380 pocket pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deafdave3 Bersa Thunder Plus on my side. Bersa Thunder CC in my pocket. Yep, I trust my life to those awesome little ...

View Poll Results: what's the best .380 pocket pistol on the market today?

Voters
757. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kel Tec -p3at

82 10.83%
  • Ruger-lcr

135 17.83%
  • Kahr-p380

90 11.89%
  • DiamondBack .380

10 1.32%
  • Sig-p238

192 25.36%
  • S&W BodyGuard .380

98 12.95%
  • other

150 19.82%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Bersa Thunder Plus on my side. Bersa Thunder CC in my pocket. Yep, I trust my life to those awesome little guns.
    I would never trust my life to any .380, Bursa, LCP, Diamondback, Kel-tec, Kahr or any others. If it can't fire at 9mm (or larger) accurately from at least 7 yards, it's a backup gut shooter at best.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Technically .380acp is 9mm in diameter , but anyways, most people that have the little pocket guns in .380acp have more than 1 round to shoot and I believe that the 13 rounds of .380acp that I carry in my Smith&Wesson Bodyguard 380 will stop most attackers. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I would never trust my life to any .380, Bursa, LCP, Diamondback, Kel-tec, Kahr or any others. If it can't fire at 9mm (or larger) accurately from at least 7 yards, it's a backup gut shooter at best.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Technically .380acp is 9mm in diameter , but anyways, most people that have the little pocket guns in .380acp have more than 1 round to shoot and I believe that the 13 rounds of .380acp that I carry in my Smith&Wesson Bodyguard 380 will stop most attackers. God Bless
    13 rounds .380. Spray and pray
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

As an update to those who have been breathlessly awaiting a progress report on the testing of my replacement P380, another 100 rounds of my preferred Speer Lawman TMJ have been successfully fired, totaling just over 200 consecutive malfunction-free shots with this particular load, following about 150 trouble-free shots of various FMJ and HP rounds. So my particular P380 is probably as reliable as any P380, and will consider carrying it, if I cannot manage concealing a .38 Special snub, or something larger.

However, due to the numerous malfunctions (with FMJ) during the first hundred rounds fired, and the 550 rounds wasted on the original frame, I hesitate to give my P380 an unqualified endorsement, and will have to similarly extensively test any other load, FMJ or HP, I may consider in the future.

I will caution friends and colleagues to be prepared to drop a couple of C-notes on test ammunition, and even more should they happen to acquire another of the similarly defective frames still out there (I haven’t heard of any recalls). I believe this piece is potentially far superior to the Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard .380 et. al., and someday could well prove to be worth its premium price, but not with its current issues.

The best .380 I ever owned was a stainless Sig P230 (not a misprint , I mean P230, not P238) which digested anything, I also learned to trust German (French)-made Walther PPK/S’s (as imported by Interarms), but only with FMJ ammunition. However, both of these are too big to be classed with the choices given on the ballot. So I’d simply cast a “None of the Above” vote, but that option isn't on the ballot.
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: clarification
    Saber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post

The best .380 I ever owned was a stainless Sig P230 which digested anything, I also learned to trust German (French)-made Walther PPK/S’s, but only with FMJ ammunition. However, these are too big to be classed with the choices given on the ballot. So I’d simply cast a “None of the Above” vote, if offered.
    I can totally agree with this with the one exception regarding the PPK. Both my PPKs fed very reliably with most any JHP, and my Sig P230 was IMO one of the best .380's out there. I'd go so far as say that I trust my PPK over any other .380 that I own by a good measure.
    PPKman likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I can only recommend the Ruger LCP since I have one. I really like it, like the design, size and its quality.

My summery:
    P3AT 3,011 documented rounds with 5 failures (two in first mag) replaced springs every ~800rds
    Rohrbaugh R9 532rds of 115GD HP one ftf (that round would not fire in my beretta and Hi Power)
    Seecamp 32. ~350 by me no failures with hornady xtp (my carry ammo)
    Seecamp 380 ~300 of only federal hydra-shok 0 failures
    LCP failures with hornady CD, none with any other ammo ~200rd

If I was on a budget and had one choice would be Kel-Tec P32 with Fiocchi 73gr fmj.

I have owned and shot most on this list plus two types of browning .380s, two types of beretta .380s, and a star .380. My walther ppk and the star .380 are MY favorites. I carry a variety from .45 lc, .44 spec, .45 acp, etc. I still find the walther to be one of my regularly carried pocket guns.

Just my .02

Doc

I have used the Sig P238 & the Ruger LCP. They have their pros and cons. My wife like her LCP & I like my P238. IMO the LCP is your true super sleek quick draw pocket pistol, however i also believe it is a 5' gun the sites are??? well you know, nonexistent. The P238 I can still draw quickly after I have paracticed although it is not as sleek as the LCP. I can also hit targets at 7yds with precision. The nite sites are awesome as well. Its all a matter of opinion. You now have mine.

I have to have a small pocket pistol (sometimes my PM9 works but even that is usally too big) due to occupation and dress requirements. Tried a P380, couldn't hit the floor with it! Got the LCP and am much more accurate with it. Go figure. I have a Kahr K9, and PM9...great guns and I can shoot them both well. But The P380 is next to useless for me, much as I wanted to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaTN View Post
    My summery:
    P3AT 3,011 documented rounds with 5 failures (two in first mag) replaced springs every ~800rds
    Rohrbaugh R9 532rds of 115GD HP one ftf (that round would not fire in my beretta and Hi Power)
    Seecamp 32. ~350 by me no failures with hornady xtp (my carry ammo)
    Seecamp 380 ~300 of only federal hydra-shok 0 failures
    LCP failures with hornady CD, none with any other ammo ~200rd

If I was on a budget and had one choice would be Kel-Tec P32 with Fiocchi 73gr fmj.
    Well, Chihuahua, with that Rohrbach, and two Seecamps, it's obvious you're not on a budget!

Quote Originally Posted by druryj
    ... Tried a P380, couldn't hit the floor with it! Got the LCP and am much more accurate with it. Go figure. I have a Kahr K9, and PM9...great guns and I can shoot them both well. But The P380 is next to useless for me, much as I wanted to like it.
    And druryj, I'm surprised to hear your impression of the Kahr P380, as I found mine quite accurate and controllable for its diminutive size, once it's frustrating reliability problems were finally worked out when Kahr essentially replaced it. My p380 was initially accurate but unreliable, maybe yours had defects that made it reliable but inaccurate!

If you have a Fedex account, as well as lot of time, money, ammunition and patience, a Kahr may work out for you, as it eventually did for me.

Just my two cents (multiplied about forty thousand times).

I have never shot the DB380 or the Sig, but I have owned 2 P3AT's , the Bodyguard, 2 LCP's and 2 P380's. I have sold all but the Kahrs. My next favorite to shoot was the P3AT. I am amazed that anybody could shoot more accurately with an LCP than a P380. The sights on the LCP are almost nonexistent and the trigger doesn't compare. But, that's the great thing about having choices. You can find what works for you

The only reason why I pick the BG 380 is because that all I have for a handgun lol.

I have 2 P380's 0ne had problems and one didn't - I think there was a batch of bad parts (I suspect it was the locaton of the barrel lug) for a month or so - but do not know this for sure. They seem to be back on track now. I think its best because I haven't shot many of the other choices and I really like mine. They are thin, small, light and beautifully made.

I bought the bg 380 and have no regrets. Shes tightly finished and has the laser integrated onto the frame.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Links