what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

This is a discussion on what's the best .380 pocket pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ripcuda: Thanks for that website: very good info!...

View Poll Results: what's the best .380 pocket pistol on the market today?

Voters
756. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kel Tec -p3at

82 10.85%
  • Ruger-lcr

135 17.86%
  • Kahr-p380

90 11.90%
  • DiamondBack .380

10 1.32%
  • Sig-p238

192 25.40%
  • S&W BodyGuard .380

97 12.83%
  • other

150 19.84%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: what's the best .380 pocket pistol?

ripcuda: Thanks for that website: very good info!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

I choose OTHER. Walther PP.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm surprised by how well the Sig 380 is doing. I love how they look and they have good sights but I'm surprised people are okay with a thumb safety on a pocket anything and the trigger is a real suprise too. I shoot 1911's and exected a better trigger but even as a SA it doesn't compare to the Kahr trigger. Again, a good gun but I think this is more of a popularity contest than what really makes a good pocket gun. I knew the LCP would score well and that the Keltec would do well except for taking a hit on reliability.

I'm always on th look out for the ultimate pocket piece for me. So far it's the Kahr 380 followed by the LCP or Keltec. I check out each new pocket gun that comes out but the Kahr has been it for a long time.

The only thing I don't like about the Kahr beside price is how the magazine is a bit sticky from the factory. The solution is to take a small flat steel wrapped with 600 grit paper and to gently polish the inside of the mag well.

Gideon

Sig P238

Chalk me up as a vote for the Sig P238. It is the finest .380 I have ever shot. It functions flawlessly, controls mimic my 1911s, and I wear it IWB comfortably. No, it is not as light as the Ruger LCP...and it is a tad thicker. The LCP is easier to pocket carry, but I've got to be honest - I just wasn't accurate enough with my LCP to ever get comfortable with it. The trigger pull is just too long for me. I don't carry my P238 cocked and locked too often, but I'm fairly fast at drawing it, racking it, and getting on target. The night sights standard on the Sig are awesome. Trigger is crisp and relatively light. It balances very well in my hand. I'm quite confident in my accuracy with it. It is one of my favorite little pieces and it's one that I'm proud to own.

My LCP + Crimson Trace Laser was $400+. My Sig was about $550 I think, and I have not felt the need to buy a laser for it. It's worth the additional $150 for the difference between the LCP w/Laser and the Sig w/Night Sights, IMO. I'm just not as big of an LCP fan as a lot of the population.

But I'm not knocking Ruger, because I have the LC9 and enjoy it quite a bit for a slim single stack 9mm with good sights.
    I'm Quiz, and I approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm surprised by how well the Sig 380 is doing. I love how they look and they have good sights but I'm surprised people are okay with a thumb safety on a pocket anything
    The P238 thumb safety is very very difficult to flip off accidentally. The main issue is to practice with it enough that you automatically flip the safety as you draw it. A lot of people have gotten killed because they forgot to thumb the safety under stress. As far as the trigger, it's fine. And in a defense situation, you'll be too stressed out to even notice the trigger pull anyway. Firing a gun in a self defense situation is totally different from firing a gun on a range at a paper target.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to just automatically think of these .380's as "pocket pistols." Most of the, certainly including the p238, are much better as OWB carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Personally, I think it's a mistake to just automatically think of these .380's as "pocket pistols." Most of the, certainly including the p238, are much better as OWB carry guns.
    Agreed. I do not prefer pocket carry on my P238. IWB (or OWB) works fine for me.
    I'm Quiz, and I approve this message.

los
    For me, this..:

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

The point to a 380 is that it's a 'Pocket Pistol'

1..... Rohrbaugh ...... $1200

2..... Seecamp ....... $900 .... 12 Oz, small, and dependable

3.....Walther PP ....... $600

4.... Sig 232 ............ $600 ..... DA/SA ... 17 OZ

5.... Colt Pony ......... $600 ... DA/SA ... Closed breech .... 12 oz .... aluminum frame

6.... Colt Mustang ....... $600 .... SA

7.... Sig 238 ................$600 .... Clone of Mustang

8.....CZ 83 .................. $420 ... big, heavy, dependable

9....Ruger LCP .............. $300 .. light, small, dependable

It really depends upon how much you want to spend and how small you want the gun

Complete list of all 380s

I voted "other" because the LCP was not listed. I am sure there are other great .380's out there. Just like ice cream everyone has their favorite.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

No Contest-- as long as it is a 2011 model , late 27 Series

I have two (early models) that I have completely reworked.
    I recommend carrying them in a holster and only for those who have experience with 1911's.

If S/A is a concern, stick with an LCP. For deep concealment I prefer the Seecamp.

I conquer (agree)

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I love the Ruger lcp. It's the perfect size and is easy on the hand.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Voted other as well. Love the LCP, it's my "Oh crap, I gotta run to the store" rig.

BG 380
    I wanted a small, decent caliber CCW for my front pocket. I honed in on the .380 (i have a Wather, but too heavy for pocket carry). I did fairly extensive research and trying different options available (LCP, Kahr, P238, Kal-Tec, etc). At first i was concerned over some of the reported issues (Take Down pin, Firing Pin, Laser). If you read enough, all .380 have had some issues. I have heard many good things about this gun so i decided to give them all a fair shot. After firing 4 different .380s, I liked the BG380 best overall. There are other aspects of diffent guns i liked better, but overall the BG380 won. The P238/Kahr were sweet but i am not buying this for a range gun and save a couple hunderd to boot. I bought the BG380 and am VERY pleased with it. The serial number starts with EAZxxxx.

Pros:
    - Safety being #1(DA, Long Trigger Pull, Safety, Loaded Chamber Indicator). I have absolutely no concerns carrying this 6+1.
    - Solid feel, good but not heafty, very good grip
    - Very Accurate for the intended purpose
    - Low Recoil, no slide wounds or bruised hands - i was pleasantly surprised
    - Over 400 rounds with varying Ammo. NO FTE. Only 1 FTF on cheap ammo, i just pulled the trigger again and it fired. Nice feature over a SAO(P238).
    - Usable Sights
    - Slide stays open on last round
    - Build in Laser (some may think differently, but i like it so far. I practice without it, i wouldn't rely on it - BUT it may come in handy).
    - Easy field/complete strip

Cons:
    - Great sights but no Night Sights
    - Had to "improve" the laser light button. Took about 15 min.

For the Price, Quality, Carryability, Usability - Highly recommend the BG380!

markrov is a tank in the 380 world, dble/single action and built like a tank.

1287754738.jpg

Love my lcp for sure.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links