Smith and Wesson M&Pc

Smith and Wesson M&Pc

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson M&Pc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; THinking of the M&Pc, held one and felt real nice! Trying to decide on caliber. Can anyone tell me if the 40sw and 357sig are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smith and Wesson M&Pc

THinking of the M&Pc, held one and felt real nice! Trying to decide on caliber. Can anyone tell me if the 40sw and 357sig are interchangeable, drop in barrels?? Do you also need a dedicated mag?? I would imagine the barrels could be swapped just wanted to make sure. Also, does SW sell barrels seperately?

I have it in 357Sig and I like it very much. Very versatile. I don't know if you can buy barrels direct from S&W but I can't imagine why not. A simple phone call will do.

Storm lake also has after market barrels.
    http://www.pistolaccents.com/Storm-L...els_c_216.html

The mags are interchangeable. You can go with either 10 round (comes standard) or pick up a 15 round and add the extended Xgrip to go full size.
    http://http://www.topgunsupply.com/x...p-compact.html
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The biggest drawback to buying the S&W M&P compact is that folks fall in love with the gun so much, that it often then results in one buying a full size model too. So you end up with two of the guns:

The .357 Sig and .40 S&W models use the exact same magazines. To switch calibers between the two, all you need to do is to swap out the barrel.

Both Midway and Brownells carry the barrels. However, they both tend to have issues keeping them in stock. This is especially true of the .357 Sig barrels.

If you really do want to get both calibers, then my advice would be to buy the gun in .357 Sig, and then look for the barrel in .40 S&W. For availability for them seems to be much better. For example, Midway has them in stock right now, for only $65:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=996241

Another option would be to get the gun in .40 S&W, and then get an extended 4.25 inch barrel in .357 Sig from Storm Lake Barrels for the gun. That would then help to reduce the amount of velocity loss being experienced by shooting the .357 Sig out of a short 3.5 inch barrel.

In short barrels, the .357 Sig will end up burning some of its powder outside the barrel in a big muzzle flash, instead of inside the barrel and making velocity higher. The extended barrel would stick out in front of the gun a little, but not to the degree of being any problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The biggest drawback to buying the S&W M&P compact is that folks fall in love with the gun so much, that it often then results in one buying a full size model too. So you end up with two of the guns: .
    Why buy two? If you get the compact then buy a 15 round clip with an X-grip and throw in a full length barrel. The compact converts to a full size in a minutes time and can switch out to either .357Sig or .40 cal. Much cheaper than buying two guns. You can make the compact into a full size but you can't made the full size into a compact.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Why buy two? If you get the compact then buy a 15 round clip with an X-grip and throw in a full length barrel. The compact converts to a full size in a minutes time and can switch out to either .357Sig or .40 cal. Much cheaper than buying two guns. You can make the compact into a full size but you can't made the full size into a compact.
    I'm not going to flame you for it but for next time.. it's a mag...

And actually I've seen the Full size been made into a compact. Well at least the grip was, not the length of the slide.. but the x-grip is an AWESOME idea.. I wish I would have know about it before buying my full size M&P40, because I would have bought a Compact instead, oh well gives me an excuse to buy another handgun. hehe

here is the link for the X-grip http://www.topgunsupply.com/x-grip-s...p-compact.html
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

There is nothing you can do to a compact to replace a full size.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

The only reason I like 9mm over everything else is because 9mm is very cheap and I plan to shoot a lot.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I have found a new love for 9mm this past 9 months or so, now even some of my carry guns are 9mm.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    There is nothing you can do to a compact to replace a full size.
    The proverbial nail on the head. I own three M&P's and I love all of them, but they all have their duty.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have a full size and compact M&P40 and they are great. I use the compact as my primary carry gun and full size as practical pistol gun. I would recommend them to anyone.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The only reason I like 9mm over everything else is because 9mm is very cheap and I plan to shoot a lot.
    That is really not that relevant to pistols like the S&W M&P, Glock, or Springfield XD. For you can buy any of those guns in .40 S&W or .357, and also buy a 9mm Conversion barrel to convert the gun to 9mm. You then just swap out the barrel, use a 9mm magazine, and you have a perfectly functioning 9mm pistol too.

On the other hand, there is no way to convert a 9mm handgun to the larger calibers. You are just stuck shooting 9mm only, and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    The compact converts to a full size in a minutes time
    Not true at all. The compact would still have a barrel, slide, and a sight radius that is 3/4 inch shorter in length. It would NOT be a full size gun.

I carry a M&Pc .40 and LOVE it. I went from a XDc to this and wouldn't think twice about it again. Like others have said, these things tend to multiply like rabbits, I'm looking at picking up a M&P 9 full size and maybe a M&P .45.

S&W did their homework on the M&P's, I've got close to 700 rounds threw my full size with no problems.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Oh just to add I have over 2000 rounds out of mine... works like it just came out of the box.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links