Dry Firing Glocks

This is a discussion on Dry Firing Glocks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't kill the messenger. I've done it countless times, but the new word from Smyrna is, "DON'T DRY FIRE YOUR GLOCKS EXCEPT TO DISASSEMBLE". I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Firing Glocks

Dry Firing Glocks

Don't kill the messenger. I've done it countless times, but the new word from Smyrna is, "DON'T DRY FIRE YOUR GLOCKS EXCEPT TO DISASSEMBLE".

I saw it on Glocktalk.com . It was posted by a respected armorer, so I believe that it is true. Supposedly it could cause damage to the breechface.

Glock suggests using snap caps if you are going to do repeated dry fires.

I've done it countless times with all of my Glocks and don't see any issues. But, I'm gonna start to use snap caps.

Just passing this along. Remember, they are YOUR Glocks. Do with them as YOU please.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Must be an overtravel issue if it damages the breech face. So be it!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

RKM
    I never really cared when people said you could dry fire Glocks. I bought snap caps. It's cheap assurance. I need to get some .40 and .223 snap caps too.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I will have to read my manual again.I do not recall this warning.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Don't kill the messenger. I've done it countless times, but the new word from Smyrna is, "DON'T DRY FIRE YOUR GLOCKS EXCEPT TO DISASSEMBLE".

I saw it on Glocktalk.com . It was posted by a respected armorer, so I believe that it is true. Supposedly it could cause damage to the breechface.

Glock suggests using snap caps if you are going to do repeated dry fires.

I've done it countless times with all of my Glocks and don't see any issues. But, I'm gonna start to use snap caps.

Just passing this along. Remember, they are YOUR Glocks. Do with them as YOU please.
    Well, sort of behind the times. I'll give you an article about it from 2004 when I'm done saying what I have to say. Never kill the messenger....generally they don't have enough meat on their bones for a good meal anyway. Snap caps are a good idea. Secondly, I've been dry firing my Glocks for many years without issue, and I inspect them fully each tear down for cleaning. Third....if your firing pin safety plunger is damaged or out of spec, then the striker may have more of an impact on the breech face. This simply goes to show you that periodic maintenance and checks are required and suggested by Glock, and extend to the end user. Nobody can make up the difference when recommended maintenance is forgotten. Now...to the manufacturing process. Sometimes, there are variables in materials used...everyone has a contract, but if a contract falls short, they need to look at the next vendor in line to make production. Most reputable manufacturers will know with a pass through QA if the material meets standard spec. Thing is, they can't always rule out or test for what the end user might or might not do. Say especially installing an extra power firing pin spring. OEM tolerances are specified and adhered to no matter what. Any well-known manufacturer is concerned with quality, and above all, integrity after the sale. I think Glock is tops in working with the end user compared to all others matter of fact. They are darned near a no-questions asked replacement foundation for most any Glock owner no matter what you've done to disprove the Glock design. Despite common knowledge...they have requested and replaced many in-use pistols on a simple, one time malfunction....especially when it comes to our men and women in uniform. Glock responds swiftly to these issues as they should. Here's your bad Glock link: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/greek17.html

Thank you messenger, I have some snap caps to simulate malfunctions during range time. The new wore off so I don't dry fire much anymore.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

What are "snap caps"?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Synthetic cartridges that allow firearm manipulations without live ammunition.

http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    What are "snap caps"?
    Little things you used to throw against the sidewalk and went "pop" when you were a kid, member??
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

What about using spent brass casings. I had a snap cap break apart in my m&p and jam the slide stuck. I had a heck of a time releasing it. Snap caps do fail.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    What about using spent brass casings. I had a snap cap break apart in my m&p and jam the slide stuck. I had a heck of a time releasing it. Snap caps do fail.
    I wouldn't do that. The brass could expand and may damage your feedramp. Just a guess. I have no confirmation of this happening, but I wouldn't think that it is a good idea. Snap caps are cheap enough to replace when they break.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Little things you used to throw against the sidewalk and went "pop" when you were a kid, member??
    And what is with that sawdust that is left on the sidewalk?

I've never worried about snap caps for my Glocks, but they certainly can't hurt. I don't use them, and I've never had a problem.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Off topic but I thought this was worth shairing. My favorite snapcaps are these They hold up well and virtually impossible to confuse with live ammo.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I use A-Zooms. They are a burgendy color. Very hard to confuse with live ammo.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links