Glock 34 Range Report

Glock 34 Range Report

This is a discussion on Glock 34 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, it's been many, many moons since I last owned a Glock (1995, if memory serves). But lately I've been shooting a lot of IDPA ...

Thread: Glock 34 Range Report

Senior Moderator

Glock 34 Range Report

OK, it's been many, many moons since I last owned a Glock (1995, if memory serves).

But lately I've been shooting a lot of IDPA with my HK45, and I've decided to do the 9mm thing to reduce the cost of ammo and simplify the manual of arms to see if I can pick up some speed. I talked to a few other shooters at the clubs I shoot matches, and decided to get hold of a Glock 34. A little longer than a 17, but still in the realm of being carry able (I'll probably get a 19 for that purpose, and just set up the sights / trigger the same as the 34).

So, I searched around and found a very nice deal on a new OD Glock 34 from a local dealer, money changed hands, the ATF approved by 4473 and I had a new IDPA gun. Went home and ordered a belt holster from Comp-Tac, and started to get familiar with the pistol. I didn't really care about the color, and the local distributor was out of black 34s. So, that's me with a green Glock.

Handling it in the shop, I was not particularly enamored of the extended magazine release that comes stock on the gun. I have big hands, and the base of my left thumb was contacting the edge of the release. I could see either wearing a hole in mu thumb, or dropping the magazine at a particularly inopportune and embarrassing moment. The nice chap at the shop set me up with a standard sized one, which was much more confortable.

Took it out to the range for the first shots, and put 150 rounds of generic brass cased 115 Gr. FMJ downrange. Started getting a feel for the trigger, and was shooting .18 - .20 splits on the -0 zone of an IDPA practice target in short order. Had absolutely no issues with function - it fed, fired, extracted and ejected with 100% reliability.

The 34 comes from the factory with the standard Glock front dot / rear outline white on black sights. The rear on the 34 is adjustable for windage and elevation. They were OK, but not great. The notch in the rear is narrow, and the front fills it completely - not ideal for quick shooting, at least not for me.

Fortunately, one of the local shops happened to have a nice set of TroGlo TFO sights on the shelf. Now, they're on my gun.

Put a box of Blazer aluminium cased ammo through it at the range where I bought the sights (my pusher crapped out and I had to go see them to push it the rest of the way on). I was interested to see how it would handle them, as my aforementioned 1995 Glock absolutely hated the stuff.

I'm happy to report it fed, fired, extracted and ejected the aluminum stuff just fine.

Here's a pic of the pistol and a target from the range trip. The left hand target was 10 rounds at about 10 yards (probably more like 12) and the right was 20 rounds at the same distance. That outlier on the right target in the 7 ring was a called flyer - I knew that shot was left when it broke.

I might want to shift the rear sight a smidgen, but I am going to wait a while because I suspect the leftward positioning on the target is coming from too little trigger finger engagement. I've made some adjustments in dry fire practice, and we'll see if that centers up the groups.

So far, so good on my trip to the dark side.....
    Attached Images
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

kpw
    Sounds good! I still want a 34 as they are great shooters. I ended up with a OD 17 because I let my son pick it out. It kinda grows on ya after a while.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I occasionally shoot my 34 in IDPA SSP class. It is the only Glock I own, other than an old Model 24, that I can shoot with precision, and I own a bunch of Glocks. I put Tru Glo sights on mine, too. In SSP class, I view it as a "cheater's gun." Just too easy to shoot. Congrats on yours!

Nice shootin Tex!! Congrats on the new firearm!!

Nice shooting!
    That looks just like my G24

Cool

Good looking pistol. Congrads !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    OH my Goodness! That is one sexy pistol!!

Thanks for posting the photo.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    OH my Goodness! That is one sexy pistol!!

Thanks for posting the photo.

-- PICTURE --
    A Glock sexy?!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

An OD model 34 is way cool. Very nice.

Nice review....nice pic. Nice choice (it is a Glock). IMO....the Glock competition models don't hold much more for the price over the standard frame pistols with more subtle user specific changes tailored to one's needs at less cost AND can be easily transformed between carry and competition. I'm just saying.

Very nice review. I have always wanted to venture in to the longer slides on the Glocks. I will some day.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Awesome! Nice targets--I'm still working on hitting the paper.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    A Glock sexy?!
    Sure Glocks can be real sexy.

Does this Glock not look super sexy to you???

I do apologize, as I had to crop the top portion of the photo off and remove it.

Sponsored Links