taurus 709 slim

taurus 709 slim

This is a discussion on taurus 709 slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any one like this weapon? Reliable?just curious. Any good or worth it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taurus 709 slim

taurus 709 slim

Any one like this weapon? Reliable?just curious. Any good or worth it.

Its one of the better taurus but you know the saying "play with the bull and you get the horns". You will find that there are quite a few guys here that have had zero problems with their taurus and swear by them. Then you will find the ones that have had one and had a problem and had to deal with the customer service and swear that they will never own another one.

I have shot one and it was a nice gun, it was pretty accurate and had a good feel. If you get a good one your in great shape, if you get a bad one, I hope you have a back up because taurus is not known for its speedy customer service.

I've had mine for over a year and have 1200 flawless rounds through it. No problems at all. Great size, good shooter, accurate for such a small weapon. My expectations have been exceeded. I have the stainless steel slide model (which I recommend) and I paid $369. It's been worth it to me. It's a niche specialty piece. It's more like a 9mm LCP, not a range gun. Requires frequent cleaning because it has tight tolerances to be so compact. Clean every 200 rounds, don't use winchester white box, and run about 200 rounds of FMJ through it 1st (Federal and American Eagle have been perfect target rounds). Hornady Critical Defense has been my main carry round in this weapon. The 115 grain loads seem to do well in this particular weapon (I don't carry it in any other 9mm as I carry heavier rounds in larger weapons). I have not run any +P rounds through mine. Also, do not manually put a round i the chamber and then release the slide. That will break the extractor. The best way to load the weapon is lock the slide back, insert loaded mag, and release the slide.

With a little attention to the details above, this is a great compact 9mm concealed carry piece. People run into issues when they try to run WWB ammo and/or try to run more than 200 rounds without cleaning (at the range, I take a bore snake and GunZilla and run it through a few times after 200 rounds and no problems) and/or break the extractor by incorrect loading procedures.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    IMO getting a Taurus is just a waste of money.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've had mine for over a year and have 1200 flawless rounds through it. No problems at all. Great size, good shooter, accurate for such a small weapon. My expectations have been exceeded. I have the stainless steel slide model (which I recommend) and I paid $369. It's been worth it to me. It's a niche specialty piece. It's more like a 9mm LCP, not a range gun. Requires frequent cleaning because it has tight tolerances to be so compact. Clean every 200 rounds, don't use winchester white box, and run about 200 rounds of FMJ through it 1st (Federal and American Eagle have been perfect target rounds). Hornady Critical Defense has been my main carry round in this weapon. The 115 grain loads seem to do well in this particular weapon (I don't carry it in any other 9mm as I carry heavier rounds in larger weapons). I have not run any +P rounds through mine. Also, do not manually put a round i the chamber and then release the slide. That will break the extractor. The best way to load the weapon is lock the slide back, insert loaded mag, and release the slide.

With a little attention to the details above, this is a great compact 9mm concealed carry piece. People run into issues when they try to run WWB ammo and/or try to run more than 200 rounds without cleaning (at the range, I take a bore snake and GunZilla and run it through a few times after 200 rounds and no problems) and/or break the extractor by incorrect loading procedures.
    A thorough review from someone that owns one. Thanks Bug.

Administrator
    The 709 is leading the pack in Taurus returns by a good margin at this point. I say they are junk.

Just the fact that you have to ask should be a clue and you are not the only one. There are several threads asking the same question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had one and a buddy also had one, both were disasters. He sold his, mine went back multiple times to Taurus customer dis service. The last time I sent it in the repair took over 8 weeks. When it came back, I took it out of the return package put it back in the original case and traded it in, Taurus said it was fixed, I believed them. You have no idea what the horns are like until you buy a Taurus.

I was looking at the Taurus last year for another handgun. I have a Taurus PT745 that I absolutely love. I have fired many different rounds through it and it will take every one with no problems, including WWB. When looking for another handgun, it came down to the Taurus 709 and the Kel Tec p11. After getting on both blogs of owners, I decided to go with the Kel Tec. The Taurus owners all said the same thing... if you get a good one (rare), you are good to go. But!!!!! If you got one with issues, it is in the shop more than at home. The Kel Tec also has a few different types of issues, the main one being the trigger pull. Very long pull (8 lb) is also the safety on these. Once you get used to it, it poses no problems as you are expecting it. I have no reservations on carrying this as I know it will go boom if the need arises. Just my 2 cents.

Tim

I had one and had issues with it. Mine was pre new designed extractor though. I know of several people on this forum and personally that have them and don't have any issues with them. The guy I sold mine to (I fully disclosed the problems it had) sent it back to Taurus and he said that it hasn't hicuped once since he's got it back. Would I walk into a guns tore and buy another 709? No. I loved the gun when it worked but after I have multiple issues with a gun I'm not comfortable carrying it any more. However if BugDude called me up and said "Yo rollo, I'm selling my 709 that has 1200 flawless rounds through it, want to buy it?" I would snatch it up in a heart beat.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have the 709 and I have not had any problems about 1250 rds

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would NEVER get a Taurus pistol or revolver. I would only Buy firearms from Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Beretta, Ruger, Kahr, Kel-Tec, Heckler & Koch, Walther, Kimber, Colt, Browning, Magnum Research, Rohrbaugh, Wilson Combat and such. If you are going to depend your life on a gun, make sure that it is very reliable and of the highest quality.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I've considered selling my 709 just because I don't carry 9mm much anymore (and I have 3 9mms). The thing is it's tried and true reliable and I just like it a lot. I really enjoy shooting it and it is a breeze to carry...I guess that's why I've hung on to it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just like all the Tauruses, they are great guns, if you get a good one.

A Kahr CW Series is less than $100 more and about the same size though. I've had zero problems, but at least if you do have an issue, Kahr will get you fixed up pronto.

If Taurus would just spend a tad more time getting their guns fit and right before they left the factory, they'd still be one of the best manufacturers out there. They have good products, they just don't finish them properly. The last one I bought was a new revolver that wouldn't lock up right outta the box. Rather than deal with their CS, I just took it apart, and with just a few wipes of a file, I fixed the thing and now it's a great little revolver. Why didn't the guy putting it together do that to begin with?!?!

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    My wife bought a 709 SLIM for me as a 20th anniversary gift, so I wanted to like the pistol.
    The pistol worked reliably, zero malfunctions, for about 175 rounds. However, the cases were allowed to bulge; not enough case support from chamber.
    I sent it back to Taurus, 6 weeks later I get it returned.
    I immediately noticed the replacement barrel had no serial number; the original barrel was numbered to match the frame & slide.
    Upon firing the same ammunition as before, cases were no longer bulged, but were now thrown toward my head.
    I was not happy. If they were going to just stick an unnumbered barrel into the pistol they could have just shipped it to me and saved me the wait.
    One problem was corrected, but another was created.
    I wanted to like it, but at this point I didn't.
    My wife shot the pistol and cases were thrown at her head too, she also noticed the trigger seemed to break very far to the rear of the possible travel.
    I no longer have the pistol.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

My wife's Taurus has started throwing shell cases back at her head and face too. Same for me. She is just at the 200 round mark for this particular pistol. An extractor problem? We have been shooting Winchester white box and CCI Blazer, brass case 115 grain fmj.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links