357 Magnum carry experiment.

This is a discussion on 357 Magnum carry experiment. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got bore yesterday and decided to try something as somewhat of an experiment. Awhile back I picket up a S&W 638 revolver thinking I'd like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Magnum carry experiment.

357 Magnum carry experiment.

Got bore yesterday and decided to try something as somewhat of an experiment. Awhile back I picket up a S&W 638 revolver thinking I'd like to carry it as a BUG. Long story shot, I ended up not being to impressed by the .38 x 5 vs size and mode of carry. So, yesterday I spotted a Taurus 650 .357 magnum for just over three hundred and change. I picked it up and liked the way it felt, so I put the cash on the counter and went o my way. This makes my third revolver and to be perfectly honest, I didn't want to pick another more expensive Smith just to decide down the road to let it sit in the safe with all the others. I have one other Taurus pistol, the PT 24/7 C and it's pretty much collecting dust. I never had any problems with it, but it wasn't the most accurate pistol I have. Taurus has somewhat of iffy following at most all the sites I've visited, but I've never really had a bad experience with the one I have so I figured, how hard could it be to make a revolver that functions properly.

Anyway, I bought the 650 with the intention to experiment with it as my primary carry backed up by my Sig P238. I figured I'd carry it for a week or so and see how it goes. I know some are gonna ask, (why not use the 638 with +ps) to that all I can say is; I just wasn't impressed by the .38 +p round. Yeah it helped, but I guess the best way I can describe it is. When it comes to caliber vs round count for me, If I'm gonna carry a five round firearm, it's got to be one that packs one of the baddest punches in town. The size is pretty much the same as the smith, but the firepower is no comparison. It's been a long time since I fired a .357, and boy what an eye opener. So far it's as I suspected, my general feeling confidence wise is, with this five shot hand cannon in my pocket, I know that if the first shot doesn't destroy the target, the sound and percussion should persuade um that they don't want me to fire off another one. Wholly crap! what a kick this things got. Took it to the range this am and when the feeling in my hand comes back, I'm gonna clean the gun up.

As for function and accuracy goes. At fifteen feet the gun soots to point of aim and with standard .38 rounds is not problem to control. I think where I messed up was putting a couple of .357 rounds mixed into the line up. When the first one came up, Boom! Dang! THAT HURT. It only took me three .357 magnum rounds to learn that a different grip was needed to save the web of my hand. These little rubber grips are better than the smaller wood options I imagine, but still not enough to cushion the recoil on this round through this pistol IMO. Bottom line, the revolver functioned perfectly and was very accurate for a 2" snub DAO. I have loads of confidence that if needed and deployed, the BG will not only be missing a limb or two, he'll be deaf as well, so I might have to yell at him, that is if he's not on fire from the muzzle blast.

Pretty much the only concern I have is what ever is behind the target should I ever need to use this truly awesome round. Now, I wouldn't call myself a revolver guy just yet, but I wouldn't call me a auto guy either. I shoot and carry what I want, just like my vehicles. I drive my 05 Silverado 4x4 at times, but for the last few months I'm driving my 01 I30t and love'n the comfort and handling over the 4x4 for now.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts and my openness to the revolver itself. I've heard it said many times around the gun forums, "five for sure" and thought I experiment with the philosophy. I will say that IMO, it really boils down to the round in the revolver for that little extra level of confidence in a 5 shot revolver vs the high capacity 9mm and others.

Five for sure sounds loads better when you can take out the wall with the round the bad guys hiding behind....

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

enjoy your new pistol/carry set-up

I hope it works out for you. I also am a fan of the .357 mag, but I prefer a larger platform.

Cool

I use to carry my S&W 638 with + p ammo as my BUG until my wife decided she wanted it as her carry gun. After going BUGless for quite some time I got the Diamondback .380 a few months ago and could not be happier. That said I wanted a revolver again for me and I wanted a .357. I found a nice preowned SP-101 and picked it up for a good price. It is heavy for a snubbie but the recoil is tamed by that weight and the fact that the factory grips work great. I shoot Winchester 110 gr. 357 for practice and carry Remington 135 gr 357 for SD. It is a bit to large for my frame size for a pocket carry gun.I must admit that I carry the Glock G-23 the majority of the time off duty but on that occassion when the Ruger rides primary I like the feeling that knowing if I do my part that .357 round will definately do it's part. It also takes me back to a simplier time when my carry S&W 19 and 6 rounds of 125 gr. Federal 357 was all any street cop could ask for. Enjoy your new snubbie and always wear good ear protection when on the range with that little hand cannon.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Shoot it thru a chronograph and compare it to a .357 with 6" barrel or the .38+P, or go to ballistics by the inch website. Either way, enjoy your new gun.

Congrats on your find!!! When I got my SP101 .357 Mag snubbie, there was no comparison between it and the .38 snubs I had. It's a hand cannon of a round. The SP101 is a little heavier and absorbs the recoil pretty well. I've been carrying it as a primary some with a .38 snub as a secondary. When I carry my 1911, I like the .357 mag as a secondary. I've just about quit carrying 9mm all together. Mostly .45, .40, and .357 mag.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I like different carry experiments. First off, congrats on the new snub, make sure you post in the Superduper Snubbie Thread

I think that a small revolver gives a little versatility to one's carry regime. They certainly do fill a certain niche/void that's why they've been, and continue to be, so popular. The .357 is the perfect versatile mate, to a versatile tool. I don't think that anyone would argue that it's not a potent combination.

The other day, I was filling up the gas tank on the pickup ($90+ ouch), and a gentleman approached me. I saw him coming, and I didn't get any bad vibes, but it was comforting that I could slip my hand in my pocket, and nonchalantly obtain a good grip on my 442. While I was carrying my 1911, strong side, the pocket carried snubbie gave me another advantage.

Variety is the spice of life, so says the cliche, and you've employed two varieties that mate very well together. Keep us posted on your developing experiment
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I hope you realize that a .357mag round coming out of a short barreled gun like a snubbie, does NOT reach its full capabilities as a Magnum round should. It may be tied or is only a little is closer to a .357mag at its fullest potential than a +P round. But IMO I would shoot the +P round, it has less of the noise/shock wave than the .357mag, with only a little ballistics difference.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I hope you realize that a .357mag round coming out of a short barreled gun like a snubbie, does NOT reach its full capabilities as a Magnum round should. It may be tied or is only a little is closer to a .357mag at its fullest potential than a +P round. But IMO I would shoot the +P round, it has less of the noise/shock wave than the .357mag, with only a little ballistics difference.
    Yes, I do realize, and I've made similar comments regarding other calibers and firearms myself. In a snub class and ballistically speaking, it's only gonna fall behind a couple of other rounds outa the same barrel length. That still makes it one of the baddest hitting rounds out there and leaves the +p wanting. Not knocking the +p, just not gonna compare it to it's big brother.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I suspect you cannot fire a follow-up shot as quickly with your .357 as you can with some of your other carry handguns. I don't plan on needing only one shot, no matter how "potent" that shot may be (and sorry to say - but ALL handguns are fairly impotent). Just something to consider...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I've shot steel plates with .357 Mag and .38+P out of the same handgun (Ruger SP101 2.25" bbl) and have seen the difference of impact on steel of each round side-by-side for myself....it's a noticable difference. If impact on steel is any indicator of impact on flesh and bone, I'll take the .357 Mag out of the same length weapon.

FWIW: .357 Mag out of my heavy SP101 has no more recoil than .38+P out of my airweight 442. Follow-up shots aren't an issue with either one for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    Congrats on the .357!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I really liked my 605 Taurus snubbie alot. I shot .38 spl. and +p self defense JHP through it with very good results. But since the wife found it and starting shooting it, it now has been taken from me! Oh well least I know it's in good hands..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I too have shook up my carry methods as of late. I have 2 Ruger LCR's. One in 38+p and the other in 357 mag.

I have gone to the357 in strongside hip holster and the 38 in a pocket as a roving gun. I love it! They snub. Is SO versitle...

From what I have seen on various websites (not manuf data) the 357 is still going to give you considerable advantage over a 38+p. I carrt gold dot 135 SB +p's and have seen 2" snub chrono data supporting around 850 fps on that round. In my 357 I carry either 125 gr Corbon DPX or 125 Golden Sabers. Both of these are considered "mid range" loads for the 357. I have seen chrono data from a 2" snub on these around upper 1000 to 1100 fps range. Those are pretty respectible from a snub AND I can hit quickly with them. I am looking into some of the Buff Bore 357 Tactical ammo. Full house mag ammo is awful from my 17 oz LCR! Too much recoil for sure... Both are equiped with XS tritium big dot front sights and CTC laser grips.

I like it!

-Drew

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I suspect you cannot fire a follow-up shot as quickly with your .357 as you can with some of your other carry handguns. I don't plan on needing only one shot, no matter how "potent" that shot may be (and sorry to say - but ALL handguns are fairly impotent). Just something to consider...
    Roger that.....I agree with what you say, but in my everyday life and limited threat level, I'm actually thinking of going revolver and cutting my carry needs down to just one firearm. Been doing this for so long and have only needed a pistol a couple of times in my life, I can't say the platform or caliber would have made to much difference, if any. I'm thinking if I end up liking the set up, I'll drop the BUG and pick up another Smith in .357 and carry it as my one and only concealed carry and call it a day. I'll always pick up new firearms here and there, but not so much for CC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links