New 1911 for me

This is a discussion on New 1911 for me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to my local gun shop to look at my next purchase. As some may recall I previously questioned about getting Kimber or a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 for me

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

New 1911 for me

I went to my local gun shop to look at my next purchase. As some may recall I previously questioned about getting Kimber or a Glock. Well, I decided on................................................ .................................................. ............A Springfield Armory GI edition 4in 1911.

I will be picking it up Wed, I put it on layaway until then since it was their last one. I paid $499 plus tax so it is much less than I would have paid for a Kimber, heck even the Glocks were $549. i almost bought the 3in barrel but it was almost $150 more.

Now some questions. What would be a good holster? Good ammo? Good magazines? It has "military sites", an way to change them and if how how?

I have never owned anything bigger than 9mm, I have had a Glock 19, M&P 9c and a High Point, so this is all new to me. Tye

Once I am comfortable with it and it has been broken in, I plan on using it as a carry gun. The attached pic is the actual one I bought.
    39554_1635391686094_1275761153_31780921_4783147_n.jpg
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Now some questions. What would be a good holster? Good ammo? Good magazines?
    Nice choice I have one just like it, great gun. For a "cheap" holster option pick up a don hume IWB for about $30 I use these for most of my 1911's they don't move around much, if you have the cash to spare comp tac makes a great IWB with multiple clips to stabalize the weapon better about $100. I use Chip McCormick mags they run around $20 a pop at the local shop. For ammo break it in with a couple hundred rounds of FMJ 230gr and than give hollowpoints a try. My springfields all hate the gold dot HP's because they're a little shorter than the standard rounds and nose dive when you chamber the first one with a full mag but after a break in period they work fine now. As far as sights go you can change them I'd recommend having a gunsmith do the work, it can get messy with these GI sights.

Congrat on a very nice 1911...enjoy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I run Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat mags. Both work well. I just buy the most economical of the two. The McCormicks seem to be a little cheaper, but the Wilsons don't stick out as far beneath my gun.

What kind of holster do you want? Kydex or leather? IWB or OWB? There is a never ending plethora of holster makers and reviewers; pick your poison. My vote: custom holster from a forum memeber and/or sponsor.

Ammo: any heavyweight hollowpoint from a reputable manufacturere ought to do the job.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Super sweet!!! Once you start shooting it and carrying it, you'll be addicted to .45 ACP and won't look back. Looks like a great size. I got my 1st 1911 a few weeks ago and I've carried it ever since. I got the RIA GI model 5" bbl. I wanted the SA GI, but I ran across the RIA for a great price from a DC member here and I've been very happy with it. That's a classic looking piece you've got there. Let us know what you think once you get to shoot and carry it a bit.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Congrats on your new pistol!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

GM
    Congrats on the 1911. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Thanks for the replies.

I figure I will carry IWB. It comes with a holster but I am sure it is just as basic as the XD holster. I almost went with a Kimber for $800 but I figured with the money I was saving I could buy some ammo and maybe some grips (I am not fond of these).

I hope I enjoy it as much as I have read everyone is enjoying theirs. It will be my main SD weapon, I am thinking about picking up a P22 or something to shoot for fun since .45 is expensive.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Thanks for the replies.

I figure I will carry IWB. It comes with a holster but I am sure it is just as basic as the XD holster. I almost went with a Kimber for $800 but I figured with the money I was saving I could buy some ammo and maybe some grips (I am not fond of these).

I hope I enjoy it as much as I have read everyone is enjoying theirs. It will be my main SD weapon, I am thinking about picking up a P22 or something to shoot for fun since .45 is expensive.
    I like the grips...wish I had some for my 1911.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Very nice 1911. Enjoy.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the replies.

I may get use to them. They just did not feel very good to me, sorta rough. I am use to Glocks and M&P's so it will take some getting use to.

Any safety tips for this gun I should be aware of?
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

The grips are rough but they're great for keeping a grip on the gun when rapid firing. The holster is the exact same kind that comes with the xd it holds the firearm out far away from your body its pretty useless for concealed carry. One tip I can give you, don't scratch it up when you put the slide stop back in for the first time, us 1911 guys call that the "idiot scratch".

Sponsor

Pimp those sights

I went to my local gun shop to look at my next purchase. As some may recall I previously questioned about getting Kimber or a Glock. Well, I decided on................................................ .................................................. ............A Springfield Armory GI edition 4in 1911.

I will be picking it up Wed, I put it on layaway until then since it was their last one. I paid $499 plus tax so it is much less than I would have paid for a Kimber, heck even the Glocks were $549. i almost bought the 3in barrel but it was almost $150 more.

Now some questions. What would be a good holster? Good ammo? Good magazines? It has "military sites", an way to change them and if how how?

I have never owned anything bigger than 9mm, I have had a Glock 19, M&P 9c and a High Point, so this is all new to me. Tye

Once I am comfortable with it and it has been broken in, I plan on using it as a carry gun. The attached pic is the actual one I bought.
    About the sights, If you should choose you could enhance the sights you pistol has already with glow-On Super Phosphorescent, here a similar pistol to yours:

Here is mine, my favorite tool:

You can PM me for more info or you could check this post: link

And by the way some guys argue "this" is better or "something else" is better,
    it is what it is, Glow-On is just different:It is a Super Luminescent pigment, the pics are not photoshoped

In any case, if you'd like for me to send you some Glow dots at no charge so you can check how the material behaves, I'll be glad to oblige, just PM me and make mention of this post with your name and address.

The dos are in beta testing though but the pigment is the real thing, no different than the one inside of the vials we are selling on our website.

Live long, live free Gatopardo
    Go with the glow

If you are carrying the weapon for self defense you can take care of the site and grip issue with a set of CTG. I have a set on my old war horse 1911 and they work great. Here is two handed from the waist at 15 yards. This is a 93 year old Colt-pre A1 that was sent though one of the armories sometime in it's life.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Congrat's on your new toy. You sure picked a winner.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links