Apartment Revolver

This is a discussion on Apartment Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be moving into an apartment soon and want a revolver to back up my shotgun (with buckshot of course). Thinking 3" in .357 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartment Revolver

Question Apartment Revolver

I will be moving into an apartment soon and want a revolver to back up my shotgun (with buckshot of course). Thinking 3" in .357 so I can load .38 and .357. Any other caliber recommendations? Barrel Length? I like autos but this way I can leave it loaded and not think about mag spring problems. I know they're not common but I don't want to be the odd guy out. Thanks for any help provided.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

Hey, I was born in Oshkosh and most recently moved up here from Green Bay. Nice to see WI users on here.

Anyways, springs wear from compression AND relaxation. Leaving a spring compressed doesn't lessen the strength or reliability in any way, shape or form. Not worth worrying over.

I like the .357 Magnum. I'd go 4" or less. Ruger GP100 for a service size revolver. I had a 6" and loved it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    I've got a S&W 640 and like it a lot. Also, Corbon has some good ammo in .38 that'll meet your needs!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Don't over look the S&W625 in 45 ACP. Moon clips to help with those fast reloads if needed.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I'd go with a four-inch barreled revolver, just because it's as handy as a three-inch barreled revolver with the added advantages of having a longer sight plane (translating to more accurate sight picture and, hopefully, more accurate fire) and better terminal ballistics due to increased bullet velocity.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Taurus has good bang for buck wheelies. Never really heard many complaints from those that have them.

i was born and raised near Fond du Lac.....kinda kewl. living in an apartment i would suggest either smith or taurus. heard lots of good things about taurus revolvers. also might want to get prefragmented ammo. something you might have a little less to worry about with tnt. i know not as good as hollow point but better than worrying about shooting your neighbor dead with a stray bullet!

a 38 is a fine gun but the 625 or 325Pd would be a great wheelie to with the moon clips there slick

erh

Exclamation Apartment living...

A nice older S&W "J" frame will do nicely; I have one here (My wife claims it (My 3" Mod. 36, as her's now; that s fine...) Anyway my friend; I suggest (2) rounds of "Snake-Shot" followed by 3 lightly loaded frangible, or Hi expansion HP's...
    You do NOT want to shoot @and "Hit or miss"/ over penetrate the "Bad Guy" or not, and end up killing or maiming your neighbors kid, or something horrible along those lines..!
    Apartment living means a different defensive lifestyle than living in that "Brick Rancher", or out in the "Boondocks..!"
    I peronally know how most apartment buildings are constructed, and bet that you could just about (if not litterally!!) take a "Straight Shot" w/ a high velocity Ball round or similar; or maybe a good "Hot" +P .38 & shoot end to end, all the way through an apartment building... Just be careful! Just my .02 cents worth...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I would recommend a Taurus Model 65 in .357

These are good solid revolvers , basically a quality copy of
    the smith and wesson guns.

You should be able to find a NIB blue 4" for about $300

I have a Taurus revolver and am very happy with the quality
    and finish.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Smile Any

Short barreled revolver.

The reason, it is much more difficult for you opponent to grab a short barreled gun than a 4 or 6 in barreled revolver.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

VIP Member
    If you can find one, I'm still trying, the Taurus Model: 44 TEN 410GA/.45LC 5RDS D/A-S/A REVOLVER IN BLUE with 2.5" barrel.

Initial shipments sold quickly and the dealers I've checked with have not received more. I keep checking. I want to buy one for my living room gun. Live in an 85 yr. old Craftsman style bungalow. Front door opens directly into the living room. Driveway runs beside house to carport and there is a side porch with a door that opens directly into dining room. This is the most used guest entrance. After testing an becoming familiar with 44 TEN, I intend to buy a second one for this room. Rest of the house has other methods available.

I expect 3 rounds of 410 ga. 000 (contains 3 .32 projectiles each) and two .45LC will deter any agression long enough for one of us to reach additional fire power.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I'm an apartment dweller also...I keep my Ruger SP101 loaded and ready
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Ruger makes a good 4 inch 357 I have a gp100 and am well satisfied with it. I also have an older SW Model 19 with a 4 inch barrel. Both of these weapons have performed flawlessly over the years.

Ya know when i lived in an apartment i just kept a 1911 stoked with 230 JHP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links