Para Carry 9...good gun?

This is a discussion on Para Carry 9...good gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I fell in love with one today. Didnt shoot it, just handled it but loved the trigger (it's a LDA). I'm looking for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Carry 9...good gun?

Question Para Carry 9...good gun?

Well, I fell in love with one today. Didnt shoot it, just handled it but loved the trigger (it's a LDA).

I'm looking for a smaller 9mm to carry. DA, thinner, similar manual arms to my current fullsize M&P in 9.

I did a search and mostly read that they're a good gun, but with finish and cheap magazine issues. I saw the mags and agree with that assessment.

Right now, the top contender for a new carry gun is one of the Kahr 9s. The only advantage I see in them is that Crimson Trace makes a laser for them and not the Para.

How do they compare to the Para in reliability? Comments seemed mostly positive on reliability for the Para.

Anyone have comments for me? Thanks!

Note: Should I also be looking at the Ruger SR9 compact? It has a CT laser grip available.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recommend the following Sub-Compact and Compact 9mm Parabellum DAO pistols: Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, Walther P99AS (DA/SA), Walther PPS, HK P2000/SK (version 5 is DAO) and the Ruger SR9c. Nonetheless, if you carry a full size M&P9 why don't you just get the compact version which has the same platform as your full size carry and it is very small and lightweight? Another option is to check out the Glock 26.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I recommend the following Sub-Compact and Compact 9mm Parabellum DAO pistols: Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, Walther P99AS (DA/SA), Walther PPS, HK P2000/SK (version 5 is DAO) and the Ruger SR9c. Nonetheless, if you carry a full size M&P9 why don't you just get the compact version which has the same platform as your full size carry and it is very small and lightweight? Another option is to check out the Glock 26.
    Thanks. No Para on that list I see

I dont like the M&P compact 9....it is just as wide as the fs and feels like a brick. Not esp lightwt.

I dont mind weight so much.....I'd like smaller and thinner. I'd love an all steel gun if I could afford it, dont mind the wt, I think it would add to less recoil, etc/

I like Sigs, thin but still too big. The Kahrs are nice. Tried a Walther or 2, just ok.

I am interested in the Ruger SR 9 compact tho. And that does have a CT grip. What is your experience with the Ruger?
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Never owned a Kahr, have carried Glocks, never owned a SR9. I do own a Para Carry 9 and love it.

When I was not carrying my 1911 while home on leave I carried the Para. I bought it used, it had been carried but never fired, with two mags and an IWB holster. The pistol shot well and took just a couple of mags to get used to the LDA trigger system. Accuracy was literally one ragged hole out to 15 yards, out to 25 would hold X and 10 ring all day long.
    The finish had wear marks but other than that no issues. I bought two extra mags from Para which were backordered at first but showed up a week later. I think Checkmate Industries, the maker of USGI M-14 mags and 1911 mags, is already or will be making mags for the Carry 9. Anything from them would be built like a rock. I did not have a mag issue with the gun, normal break in and that was it.
    I did purchase a Galco Royal Guard to carry the Para in and never had an issue.
    If you like the 1911 style with a twist you can't beat it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Never owned a Kahr, have carried Glocks, never owned a SR9. I do own a Para Carry 9 and love it.

When I was not carrying my 1911 while home on leave I carried the Para. I bought it used, it had been carried but never fired, with two mags and an IWB holster. The pistol shot well and took just a couple of mags to get used to the LDA trigger system. Accuracy was literally one ragged hole out to 15 yards, out to 25 would hold X and 10 ring all day long.
    The finish had wear marks but other than that no issues. I bought two extra mags from Para which were backordered at first but showed up a week later. I think Checkmate Industries, the maker of USGI M-14 mags and 1911 mags, is already or will be making mags for the Carry 9. Anything from them would be built like a rock. I did not have a mag issue with the gun, normal break in and that was it.
    I did purchase a Galco Royal Guard to carry the Para in and never had an issue.
    If you like the 1911 style with a twist you can't beat it.
    *sigh* That was what I really liked about it. lol

They are spendy tho. This also was a used one, but looked new. And it was $700, with 2 mags.

I appreciate hearing about your experience. Thanks
    Fortune favors the bold.

I have seen and held a Para 9mm LDA also at a LGS where a good friend works at and he says that if he had the money he would buy it as he likes it also. I have to admit holding it in my hand it felt pretty close to my Springfield EMP 9mm, and dry firing it, the trigger felt nice. I have read some good reviews on the Para LDA's. I hope this helps. God Bless

The Para is a good pistol. All of mine are .45's. You should not have any problems with it. All of mine are very reliable and are carried regularly. I think you will be happy with the purchase.
    Some where down the line replace the mag and recoil springs with Wolf springs. I did that with my older ones (15 years of use). Kahrs are reliable, concealable guns. Especialy the CW line.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I had a 6/lda as was very happy with it. Would still have it if I hadn't decided to get out of .45 cal.

Administrator
    Para Carry 9...good gun?
    Not really. Para is one of those companies that is so close to greatness, but they have Q/C and C/S issues and it holds them back severely. They have a lot of good designs and the LDA trigger is a neat, but complicated contraption. Its a shame they can't put out a consistent product.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have shot and handled a few different Para models...I like you, love the idea of the Carry 9. Thought about suggesting it for my wife. However, he quality of the pieces I saw and handled and shot were not very consistent across the board. The black finish has a rep for being pure crap, and not holding up. Just not enough good, to outweigh the bad.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks for the additional feedback. It is an expensive gun, altho the company itself sells it for $999....with night sites. That's not too bad considering the nite sites.

The Kahrs arent that much cheaper. The Ruger SR9 is almost half that (without nite sites). I have not tried the trigger on the SR9 tho.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Recently, a young man for whom I've done several small smithing jobs brought me his new Para 9mm. I forget the model designation, but it is true Commander size, with 4.25" barrel and an aluminum alloy frame. He intended to shoot it in ESP class in IDPA matches, and maybe to carry it. From the box, its trigger pull was over 8 pounds, and it had light strikes about twice in each mag-full. Upon inspection, I discovered that the "Series 80" firing pin block parts were mis-fitted, which caused both the heavy trigger and the light strikes. It was also pretty rough internally, the recoil spring was too light, the mainspring too heavy. I took out the Series 80-type abominations, tuned the springs with new ones from Wolff, trued and honed the sear and hammer hooks, stoned the ridges and **** off the other parts, and it wound up being quite a slick little gun.

My daughter's carry gun is a little PDA 9mm, which has the LDA trigger. Her trigger needs a little work, but I must say that it is the first LDA trigger I've seen that does. It stacks to a heavy letoff and an abrupt break, with lots of overtravel. She is learning to cope with it, and it is getting smoother and a little lighter. One thing for sure, she's not likely to have an AD!

Having said all that, I've not seen many Paras with problems over the years. My old P-12, made before they moved to the US, is a great gun.

I own several Kahrs, and am carrying a K-9 today. I like them all a lot. I find that they fit my small, 1911-adapted hands perfectly, and point very naturally, maybe even more so than a 1911. I can shoot them very precisely with their smooth DA triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Recently, a young man for whom I've done several small smithing jobs brought me his new Para 9mm. I forget the model designation, but it is true Commander size, with 4.25" barrel and an aluminum alloy frame. He intended to shoot it in ESP class in IDPA matches, and maybe to carry it. From the box, its trigger pull was over 8 pounds, and it had light strikes about twice in each mag-full. Upon inspection, I discovered that the "Series 80" firing pin block parts were mis-fitted, which caused both the heavy trigger and the light strikes. It was also pretty rough internally, the recoil spring was too light, the mainspring too heavy. I took out the Series 80-type abominations, tuned the springs with new ones from Wolff, trued and honed the sear and hammer hooks, stoned the ridges and **** off the other parts, and it wound up being quite a slick little gun.

My daughter's carry gun is a little PDA 9mm, which has the LDA trigger. Her trigger needs a little work, but I must say that it is the first LDA trigger I've seen that does. It stacks to a heavy letoff and an abrupt break, with lots of overtravel. She is learning to cope with it, and it is getting smoother and a little lighter. One thing for sure, she's not likely to have an AD!

Having said all that, I've not seen many Paras with problems over the years. My old P-12, made before they moved to the US, is a great gun.

I own several Kahrs, and am carrying a K-9 today. I like them all a lot. I find that they fit my small, 1911-adapted hands perfectly, and point very naturally, maybe even more so than a 1911. I can shoot them very precisely with their smooth DA triggers.

Good stuff...how do you rate them reliability-wise to the Kahr? I have to admit, the Kahr probably has it all (incl the CT grip)...but the Para Carry 9 is way sexier! And I did like the trigger.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by sixto
    Not really. Para is one of those companies that is so close to greatness, but they have Q/C and C/S issues and it holds them back severely. They have a lot of good designs and the LDA trigger is a neat, but complicated contraption. Its a shame they can't put out a consistent product.
    I group Para and Kahr together in this respect. Their products are what many people want but their QC kills them. I have or have had both and they can be great guns. However, I had to take the time to make them great guns as none of them came that way from the factory. The good news is most of their problems can be remedied with a little elbow grease and common sense. My current CW40 is a 100% reliable gun now. It took some time to get it that way but I trust it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabbler View Post
    I group Para and Kahr together in this respect. Their products are what many people want but their QC kills them. I have or have had both and they can be great guns. However, I had to take the time to make them great guns as none of them came that way from the factory. The good news is most of their problems can be remedied with a little elbow grease and common sense. My current CW40 is a 100% reliable gun now. It took some time to get it that way but I trust it now.
    And see, this is an issue for me, as I know little about how guns should work and feel. I know little about what can and cannot be fixed. I am really only very familiar with my one and only gun. I have shot others but to me, they're all different!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links