Are S&W semi autos good guns now?

This is a discussion on Are S&W semi autos good guns now? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of folks here praising their Smiths, or recommending them to others. Back in the mid eighties I saw nothing but problems ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are S&W semi autos good guns now?

I see a lot of folks here praising their Smiths, or recommending them to others. Back in the mid eighties I saw nothing but problems from S&W semi autos. Sights falling off, jamming, an accidental fire I just mentioned in another thread, which was obviously the owner's fault, but nonetheless, he was having a problem with his Smith. So I have to ask, did something happen where their QC went up, or their standards risen, or a complete design change? When I go to the gun shop now I tell the owner don't even bother pulling out the Smiths because of things I had seen 25 years ago. Does anyone else remember the problems they used to have and know if they did something to recify them? Enough of you own them now that I'm thinking something must have changed. If I am in the market again I don't want to pass up looking at them if they truly have become more reliable than they used to be.

The M&P line has proven to be very reliable. I have a M&Please 40 and it has been flawless. Do your self a favor and take a look at one

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The M&P handguns are fantastic weapons and a lot of people carry them on a regular basis without any issues or malfunctions. A lot of IDPA shooters use either a Glock or M&P.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Thanks. I don't want to sell myself short by ignoring their whole line. I'll have to check out those M&Ps.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I see a lot of folks here praising their Smiths, or recommending them to others. Back in the mid eighties I saw nothing but problems from S&W semi autos. Sights falling off, jamming, an accidental fire I just mentioned in another thread, which was obviously the owner's fault, but nonetheless, he was having a problem with his Smith. So I have to ask, did something happen where their QC went up, or their standards risen, or a complete design change? When I go to the gun shop now I tell the owner don't even bother pulling out the Smiths because of things I had seen 25 years ago. Does anyone else remember the problems they used to have and know if they did something to recify them? Enough of you own them now that I'm thinking something must have changed. If I am in the market again I don't want to pass up looking at them if they truly have become more reliable than they used to be.
    I have a S&W 1006 no problem here ,is built like a tank

VIP Member
    25 years ago was quite a while. S&W really got things right with the M&P as they have been really gaining market share and a loyal following. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Thanks for the additional replies.
    I guess guns are like trucks. All it takes is a couple bad experiences, no matter how long ago, and that sticks with you the rest of your life. Which is why I won't buy a ford or chevy truck either ;^)

I've been very pleased with the quality, accuracy, ergonomics and reliability of my M&P 9. It's a very fine sidearm.

S&W's lifetime warranty and great customer service are good piece of mind too.

Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Just bought my 3rd M&P on Saturday, but I don't like them

All jokes aside, we know that Glock is a proven gun. For me they are simply too fat in the hand. The ergonomics of the M&P are outstanding, add to that the availability of the Apex Tactical DCAEK trigger kit, and it is one FINE pistol. Like said before, do yourself a favor and go put one in your hand, you've got 3 back straps to chose from. You may end up with 3 of them yourself one day.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

possibly my next gun

I carry a Glock 27 most every day. However, I just shot the M&P9 with my Dad recently. I really like this gun a ton. My Dad likes it so much he's carrying it (full size version) concealed in a Raven Concealment holster and you can't even tell he's got it on.

I have the 4006 and M&P 45. Both are good to go.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Sounds like another trip to the gunshop is in order... uh-oh... lol
    Are these M&Ps DA/SA? How do they compare with a Kahr P9? That's what I have now and I love the size, but was never a big fan of the DA.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I see a lot of folks here praising their Smiths, or recommending them to others. Back in the mid eighties I saw nothing but problems from S&W semi autos. Sights falling off, jamming, an accidental fire I just mentioned in another thread, which was obviously the owner's fault, but nonetheless, he was having a problem with his Smith. So I have to ask, did something happen where their QC went up, or their standards risen, or a complete design change?
    In the mid-80s, S+W was just into their second generation of autoloading pistols (the 3-digit series), and there was a lot they didn't get right from the outset. I fell in love with a compact 469 when it came out, but the trigger pull was so awful that I couldn't bring myself to buy it. But with the huge move to autos in the law enforcement community, there was a LOT of feedback from the field and now they are into their third and fourth generation of autos. The "Performance Center" guns are pretty much the epitome of the 3rd gen, all-metal guns, and the M+P series of Tupperware guns is giving the Austrian "perfection" guns a serious chase in the market.

A lot of the change has been due to company ownership that stands behind the product and is seriously interested in product quality and serving the marketplace, including coming up with new models.

You owe it to yourself to give the current S&W offerings a serious look.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    They are striker fire action... labeled as Double Action Only for legal/law enforcement/military purposes, the trigger is a 6-7 pound trigger pull on the first and last shot, and all in between. The M&P is being called "Glock like" and is taking market away from Glock in the Law Enforcement and Military fields.

I love my M&P40... I have put 2000+rounds through mine and it is very reliable.
    My dad and Uncle have the M&P9c (compact) and love them.
    ~ Detroit MI, St. Clair Shores MI, are department I know first hand that issue the M&P here in Michigan
    The ATF just signed a contract with Smith and Wesson for the M&P, so they can issue them to their Agents

Here are some countries that use the M&P....
    Australia: M&P40 was distributed to South Australia Police officers in 2009 to replace their Smith & Wesson .357 revolvers. Victoria Police announced in late April 2010 they would replace their Smith & Wesson .38 revolvers with the M&P40.[9] Over 10,000 units are planned to be purchased by Victoria Police.
    Canada: Halton Regional Police Service, Peel Regional Police, and the Gatineau Police Department.
    Colombia: M&P9 used by DAS agents.
    France: M&P9 used by the Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety Institute.
    India: M&P9 used by Mumbai Police.
    Iraq: Used by the Iraqi Police and by the Iraqi Military.
    Malaysia: M&P9s as Malaysian Prison Department sidearm.
    Pakistan: Used by the Sindh Police Agency.
    Puerto Rico: M&P40 was adopted by the Puerto Rico Police Department in 2009.
    Trinidad and Tobago: Used by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service.
    United States: Drug Enforcement Administration. Also used by over 276 police departments in the country.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Nice. Thanks again for your input.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links