Looking for a thin CCW. Bersa UC opinions? Considering a few...

This is a discussion on Looking for a thin CCW. Bersa UC opinions? Considering a few... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I still haven't received my CCW permit, but after spending a lot of time with my BHP I am beginning to think I want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a thin CCW. Bersa UC opinions? Considering a few...

Looking for a thin CCW. Bersa UC opinions? Considering a few...

Well, I still haven't received my CCW permit, but after spending a lot of time with my BHP I am beginning to think I want something more concealable.

My BHP will still be carried (just got my Kholster a few weeks ago and im very happy with it). The weight doesn't bother me too much, but the full size grip prints more than I would like at 4:00 with a lot of cant.

The reason I chose the BHP was for its thin-ness. I wanted to love the XD-SC, but the thing felt like a brick in my hand. I have medium sized hands and thick grips (ie: glock, XD) just dont work well for me.

I also want a gun that can serve as a backup (im going to a 4 day course in a few months and I would like to have another pistol in case something happens to the Hi Power during all of the stress tests). So, it needs to be a decent shooter as well.

I am open to revolvers and semis. I really like the LCR... My wife is somewhat interested in carrying and wants something that will go bang when you pull the trigger - no safeties to fumble with or FTEs from limp wristing to worry about.

My father has a Bersa Thunder .380 that has been a very reliable little pistol. I want to stick with 9mm/.38spl or higher- so im looking at the Bersa Ultimate Compact 9mm. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also in the running is the SR9-C, Smith 642, Kel-tec P11, and SP101. Maybe an officer size 1911? Ah... im all over the place.

I'll definitely rent a few before buying, but can anyone give me a little direction?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you are looking for a thin CCW you should check out the Walther PPS in 9mm or .40 S&W and the Kahr PM9 or PM40. These are very thin and ergonomic pistols. As far as revolvers, check out the Smith and Wesson 642 and 442 and the Ruger LCR. The Ruger SP-101 is fantastic but it might be a bit too bulky.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

To be honest the only one of those (in my opinion) that even remotely qualifies as thin was the 1911. When I think thin I am thinking under a inch thick like the kel tec pf9, kahr pm9/cw9, taurus slim, etc.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Taurus PT709 slim.

Very nice, very small, can also get it in .380 and .45

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    To be honest the only one of those (in my opinion) that even remotely qualifies as thin was the 1911. When I think thin I am thinking under a inch thick like the kel tec pf9, kahr pm9/cw9, taurus slim, etc.
    The Walther PPS 9mm is only 1.04" wide, weighs only 19.4oz, has a 3.2" barrel, it's ambidextrous and holds 7 or 8 rounds depending on the magazine.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

yeah, I was optimistic about the Taurus Slim... but I heard so many poor reports of it that I was a bit worried. I wish more manufacturers would list the thickness on shopping sites like Buds! I thought the Keltec PF-11 was just an update to the PF-9?

Quote Originally Posted by HiPower9 View Post
    yeah, I was optimistic about the Taurus Slim... but I heard so many poor reports of it that I was a bit worried. I wish more manufacturers would list the thickness on shopping sites like Buds! I thought the Keltec PF-11 was just an update to the PF-9?
    The Kel Tec P11 and PF9 are two different guns. The p11 is a double stack. The PF9 is a single stack. If the seller doesn't list the thickness on their website you can generally find the information on the manufacturer web site.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Hi Power
    Go to BersaChat.com.

The Bersa series of handguns are very affordable, extremely accurate and more reliable than any other small 380acp.

bersa 380

I have bought a few bersa thunder 380s. I gave one to my dad which has been a reliable shooter, and the one I bought for myself has been a complete jam-o-matic. Took it back to gunshop, had them do some work and it is still too picky. I sold it.

Rockin a g23 IWB and have had no problems what so ever.

I wouldn't go 380 because the ammo is expensive and harder to find and something with more stopping power would prove to be better choice. I'd get the g27 if I were you.

kpw
    Kahr K9 is a good one. I like them a whole lot better than the poly Kahrs.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

KAHR CW9, at around 400 a little more than a Bersa, weighs about 16 oz and thin as a lawyer's morals

You're looking for the ellusive "perfect carry gun" small, light, reliable, good shooter, not picky, no limp wristing issues, thin, good capacity, etc. It is a bit like trying to find a unicorn or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Every decision is a balance of comprimises to some degree. I've got several mentioned so far. Remember that small and light means more perceived recoil.

I have Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact. It is a GREAT carry gun, great shooter, 13+1 capacity, and durably built. It eats every brand and type of ammo without issue and is not sensitive to limp wristing at all. This gun has run like a top for me and the first owner (a DC member here). It just keeps on going, and going...reliability is without question. I like the hammererd semi-auto with the ability to de-cock and carry with the hammer at a quarter cock position (off the firing pin) and still be able to draw and fire in a double action mode. It has an alloy metal frame and thick steel controls and inner workings. It's well made and not as thick and bulky as my Springfield XD40sc. I also have a Taurus 709 Slim and mine has been flawless with 1200 rounds, but some have had issues. It conceals super easy, but it has a lot of recoil and is ammo and limp wristing sensitive. The Bersa is about the same size but slightly thicker and not as light (at twice the round count, that makes up a good bit of the weight). All things considered, I carry the Bersa over the 709 because of the extra capacity and shootability for a minimal amount of size and weight difference and it is super safe to carry chambered with no worries.

I also have the S&W 442 snub nosed revolver in .38+P. It's the ultimate in ease of concealed carry. Super light and easy to carry and conceal in a pocket (of shorts, dress pants, khakis), IWB, OWB, ankle, etc. It is the most versatile carry gun for so many methods of carry. The .38+P is a formitable round, but the drawback is only 5 rounds in the snub and re-loads aren't as quick and easy as a semi-auto. I carry mine a lot as a primary and secondary weapon and I have no concern over the round or the round count/reload. Carry a speed loader or speed strip and practice reloading. With practice, you can attain reasonable accuracy with a snub revolver. They are reliable, easy to use (load, unload, tell if loaded, no safety) but also consider it is LIGHT and recoil is stout.

I also have a Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum. It is slightly larger than the 442 and a bit heavier as it is an all stainless steel revolver but still a 5 shot snub, so you have the same drawbacks as above but also have speed loaders and speed strips to use as well. It is larger and heavier, but that helps perceived recoil a lot. You can also shoot .38+Ps out of it and it handles those rounds VERY well. Smooth shooter with .38s and you can work up to various loads of .357 Magnum. To me, it's an awesome carry gun and easy to carry IWB or OWB and conceal, but it might be hard to pocket carry for most folks. I think the little added weight and size to get .357 mag capable is well worth the trade-off and you can always use .38s in it if you like.

Well, that's my experience and thoughts with the Bersa Thunder 9UC, Taurus 709 Slim, S&W 442, and Ruger SP101. Based on your original post, I think the Bersa is the perfect choice.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you are carrying the BHP and the weight is not a problem you should look at several ways to help thin down the pistol. I am a huge fan of the Browning Hi-Power! Micarta thin grips from Brownells are a great addition. I have an XD9sc and agree that it is a fat brick, a great pistol, but still thick. One of my friends carries his BHP with thin grips in a Blade-Tech IWB adjusted as a cross draw. I can never tell he has the pistol. I have carried my BHP in a CrossBreed holster strong side tucked. It works very well. However I admit I do better with IWB and a cover garment like a shirt, sweater, vest or sports coat. My body type makes me look like I have a growth on my side. For me the weight of the BHP also caused back pain. So I bought a Kahr CW9 which I can hide IWB with a tucked in shirt. Loaded it weighs 21 ounces. It took more than a 100 rounds to learn the double action trigger on the Kahr, but it is a great trigger. Good luck in the search you are on, This site will offer great advice and experience to help you.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    In the pocket; Kahr P380
    On the hip go 9mm or .38 minimum and consider a Kahr P9, K9, CW9 or even a PM9. They're the ultimate for concealability due to their being single stack. Excellent sights, good ergonomics, quality, best DAO trigger of any gun I've fired and no unnecessary controls or safeties; something to be avoided on a defensive handgun.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gunney View Post
    KAHR CW9, at around 400 a little more than a Bersa, weighs about 16 oz and thin as a lawyer's morals
    +1 on the CW9

http://[URL=http://img180.imageshack.us/i/kahrcw9.jpg/]
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links