Range Report Taurus PT 111 Millennium Pro 3rd Gen

This is a discussion on Range Report Taurus PT 111 Millennium Pro 3rd Gen within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to let everyone know about the positive experience this pistol has turned out to be. A lot of people recommended allowing for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report Taurus PT 111 Millennium Pro 3rd Gen

Range Report Taurus PT 111 Millennium Pro 3rd Gen

I wanted to let everyone know about the positive experience this pistol has turned out to be.

A lot of people recommended allowing for a three hundred round break in period, firing 100 rounds each time, then going home and cleaning it well.

This weekend was rounds 300-450. There wasn't a single fail to feed or fail to eject or fail to fire. It was a flawless 150 rounds. 50 Federal, 50 WWB, 50 Remington Green Box hollowpoints.

So for anyone who buys one of these you can possibly expect this experience.
    Rounds 1-100 50% Fail to feed and Eject, no fails to fire. I haven't had a fail to fire yet.
    Rounds 100-200 25 % fail to feed and eject
    Rounds 200-300 2% fail to feed and eject
    Rounds 300-450 0% fail to feed and eject

I thought people would like to know. Its a great pistol, with 13 rounds of 9mm in a very small package.

It's also accurate, I was able to put all 50 rounds on a 6 inch target at 15 yards, and about half those were within a two inch ring. For a close in SD gun, I am pretty pleased.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 4th, 2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: fixed title spelling

2. Remove Ads

I am glad it is working out for you. I would have to say that isn't the experience that I had with my 3rd gen PT111.

There have been very few failures in several thousands of rounds. Not even when it was brand new. Most of the failures have been with light reloads, most probably caused by not forcing the slide fully back, and allowing the spent casing the ability to eject.

Run some more through it, and test some good SD ammo and go from there.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

i love my pt145 its my current edc ive never had at failure of any kind and i have fired probalbe in the 500 range with it i do clean it very regualry in fact the manual says clean every 200 rounds

That's awesome yours worked right from the get go. I just thought people who might get one and get frustrated should know mine was so tightly manufactured I couldn't even fit 9 rounds in the 12 round clip to start and running the slide back was a workout. It's much smoother now, and I imagine it will only get better.

So don't give up and send it back after 100 rounds like I was going to unless it's a more serious issue. Give it a little time to break in is all I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    That's awesome yours worked right from the get go. I just thought people who might get one and get frustrated should know mine was so tightly manufactured I couldn't even fit 9 rounds in the 12 round clip to start and running the slide back was a workout. It's much smoother now, and I imagine it will only get better.

So don't give up and send it back after 100 rounds like I was going to unless it's a more serious issue. Give it a little time to break in is all I am saying.
    I wasn't disagreing ive had a couple buddies who have had these models (1 bought 140 other 111) and the guy with the 140 had pretty much the same expirience as you but it now functions fine. Did you pre clean yours before shooting it? Ill never forget opening it up and seing all the factory gunk in there the first time.

I did preclean but you could visually see that the slide was so tightly manafactured that it would not run back fast enough and was blocking the ejecting of the spent casings.

The only problem now is the slide doesnt lock open on an empty mag every time. Havent figured out a solution for that yet.

Administrator
    I did preclean but you could visually see that the slide was so tightly manafactured that it would not run back fast enough and was blocking the ejecting of the spent casings.

The only problem now is the slide doesnt lock open on an empty mag every time. Havent figured out a solution for that yet.
    It will be one of three likely things;

A: mag follower worn down

B: Slide stop worn or misshapen some how

C: Your thumb is getting in the way- This is very common with small guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nice report.

I didn't keep detailed notes, but my first-generation PT111 (not the 'Pro' model) never had a problem with feeding or ejection in its first 1000 rounds or so. The worst fault was that the slide would fall sometimes when I slammed a fresh mag into place, but that's not a problem that would take you out of a fight.

Somewhere between 1000 and 2000 rounds I started getting failures to fire from light firing pin hits. The gun went back to Taurus and I had it back in my hand 3 weeks later with fresh springs and possibly some internal adjustment, I don't recall. Works like a champ. If you spend some time mastering that long trigger pull, it'll serve you well.

Re the slide not staying back after the last round is fired, sometimes that's a magazine issue. See if it behaves the same way with all your mags.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I wanted to let everyone know about the positive experience this pistol has turned out to be.

A lot of people recommended allowing for a three hundred round break in period, firing 100 rounds each time, then going home and cleaning it well.

This weekend was rounds 300-450. There wasn't a single fail to feed or fail to eject or fail to fire. It was a flawless 150 rounds. 50 Federal, 50 WWB, 50 Remington Green Box hollowpoints.

So for anyone who buys one of these you can possibly expect this experience.
    Rounds 1-100 50% Fail to feed and Eject, no fails to fire. I haven't had a fail to fire yet.
    Rounds 100-200 25 % fail to feed and eject
    Rounds 200-300 2% fail to feed and eject
    Rounds 300-450 0% fail to feed and eject

I thought people would like to know. Its a great pistol, with 13 rounds of 9mm in a very small package.

It's also accurate, I was able to put all 50 rounds on a 6 inch target at 15 yards, and about half those were within a two inch ring. For a close in SD gun, I am pretty pleased.
    Sir you have far more patience then I do, that gun would have went back to the Bull if it were mine. You can't tell me that even though the last 100 rounds have been trouble free you still wonder in the back of you mind.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Sure I can. This isnt going to be my EDC until I get another 2-300 flawless rounds through it.

However it makes sense. It felt more tightly manafactured than any of the other Taurus pistols I have owned. Over the last 250 rounds it has a what .33 failure rate with the last 100 being 0.

I think another 200 flawless rounds and well sometimes stuff happens and thats why you carry a BUG.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 4th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    glad youre happy with it...my former pt111 3rd gen was flawless right out of the box with a wipedown before the original 250 rounds on day 1 through several thousand rounds before i let her go...great gun...enjoy it...

Senior Moderator
    The PT111 is my every day carry, I am glad that yours has smoothed out
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

As to your slide not locking back i noticed the grip i had always used caused me to hold the release down and had to adjust in order for that to not happen might be whats happenind to you
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

Thats kind of scary if you think about all the people who buy these and throw it in a drawer without ever firing it, glad it straightened out for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    Thats kind of scary if you think about all the people who buy these and throw it in a drawer without ever firing it, glad it straightened out for you though.
    I agree. Ill do one more range report when I put another 200 rounds through it and am 100 percent on how it behaves.

I have a couple theories on why this happened.
    1. Maybe my original cleaning and breakdown was insufficient. I did it, thought I did a good job, maybe I was wrong.
    2. The manafacturing really has gotten better, the gun now shoots like a dream, and it now requires a break in period.
    3. Better Ammo. The federal ammo from Wal Mart is noticeably less snappy than WWB or Remington Green or Blazer. Although they now work, I wont be stockpiling Federal from Wal Mart.

And yes, its a bit scary to think of someone just throwing that in their nightstand table without hitting the range. On the other hand that could be said of any dangerous machinery and the person probably shouldnt have it anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links