Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety?? - Page 2

Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety??

This is a discussion on Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is nice about the Taurus PT709 is that the safety is like a 1911 where safe is up and fire is down. I hope ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety??

What is nice about the Taurus PT709 is that the safety is like a 1911 where safe is up and fire is down. I hope this helps. God Bless

My pick would be the P238 or the PM9, but i would go with the PM9 first just because I dont think new shooters and carriers should be using an SAO....YMMV
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The Bersa Thunder .380 is a smooth and accurate shooter and has de-cocker and safety. Awesome little gun. I have the Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact which is the 9mm of it and it is phenomenal. I would recommend looking at both calibers. I've shot my buddy's Bersa Thunder .380 and it just doesn't get much smoother and accurate. It's not the most compact of the .380s, but with compactness also comes recoil and difficulty gripping and controlling the shots. After shooting his .380 is when I bought my 9mm version. You just can't go wrong with it and it is a great value, great quality, durably built, and Bersa service is great if you ever need them (which I haven't).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    PM9.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    Kahrs got the option for manual safety..
    Don't they go the wrong way as in flip up for safety off?

Here is a picture link

http://www.kahr.com/dtlimg_pm9193.html
    Last edited by Flint Ridge; October 6th, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: oops spelling

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabreco View Post
    My wife has so far been adamant about a manual safety. She has "concerns" about carrying with one in the chamber & no safety. <sigh> I have tried to explain that in an emergency she would have to remember to disengage it! (I suppose she's afraid of shooting her butt off). She feels comfortable with revolvers. I carry a Sigma cocked & locked & have no issues. I just don't want her carrying w/o one in the chamber.
    Anyway, I want to go to the gun shop with a list & let her try the alternatives.
    Bottom line even though I'm not married I have helped many women choose their carry weapons. They have to be comfortable with what they will be carrying and be able to use it. And practice practice practice with what ever is chosen. Ive recently purchased a 1911 to conceal carry with that I'm learning how to use. Even though I've been carrying for years I've always used Glocks and wanted to try something else. I've got snap caps in, and have done what feels like 10,000 draws from concealed holsters to ensure I can get the weapon out, sweep the safety off and get on target and squeeze off the rounds. And if she does in fact feel more comfortable with a revolver, maybe that should be the way to go. Anywho good luck picking a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Bottom line even though I'm not married I have helped many women choose their carry weapons. They have to be comfortable with what they will be carrying and be able to use it. And practice practice practice with what ever is chosen...And if she does in fact feel more comfortable with a revolver, maybe that should be the way to go
    That's exactly my thought. Since she has never found herself in a situation where she has needed a weapon, she takes it for granted. Since 99.9% of the time she is with me, I know if she is not 1000% comfortable with her choice in all aspects (size, weight, conceal ability and safety), or carrying it becomes a chore, she would probably leave it at home.
    Practice she does. She uses my S&W Combat magnum like an old pro, but concealing that is like concealing an RPG is a pair of speedos <LOL>

We will be test shooting the ongoing compiled list from this post at the range so she can make her final choice.
    You guys are a great help
    I really appreciate the input.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You should check out the NAA Guardian which is made in both .380 and .32. It doesn't have a manual safety, but is DAO. It is a very safe, compact design and fast to get into action.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Honestly I used to be the same way. What changed my mind was shooting a IDPA match with my PT145 and on BOTH of my runs missing the safety on my draw. After that I figured if I could mess something up that I had practiced 1000 times (draw and sweep the saftey off) while I was under under mild stress doing something like IDPA the chance was VERY high I would mess it up under high stress. I changed to a gun with no manual safety and never looked back.
    +1 on this. When I was young and just starting to deer hunt I was carrying my lever action 30-30. I jumped a deer from thick cover at really close range, maybe 7 yards. All I had to do was pull the hammer back, since I had one in the chamber. Instead under the surprise of the situation I racked the lever action, tossing the first cartridge into the dirt.

I carry a DOA revolver, and am planning on getting a semi-auto for Christmas. It will be without a manual safety because I could see myself not getting the safety off in a high stress situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabreco View Post
    That's exactly my thought. Since she has never found herself in a situation where she has needed a weapon, she takes it for granted. Since 99.9% of the time she is with me, I know if she is not 1000% comfortable with her choice in all aspects (size, weight, conceal ability and safety), or carrying it becomes a chore, she would probably leave it at home.
    Practice she does. She uses my S&W Combat magnum like an old pro, but concealing that is like concealing an RPG is a pair of speedos <LOL>

We will be test shooting the ongoing compiled list from this post at the range so she can make her final choice.
    You guys are a great help
    I really appreciate the input.
    My wife is very comfortable with a revolver, because she sees them as very simple, and because she can't manipulate the slide on many autos. She has a S&W Mod. 640, and a S&W Mod. 642, and primarily carries the 642. She shoots either of them very well, and is satisfied with them. Recently, however, she has shown appreciation for my M&P 9mm (w/ thumb safety). She seems to be able to manipulate the slide easily. She loves the trigger, which is enhanced with some Apex parts. When I showed her that you can change out the back strap for a smaller one, she giggled, and said, "Oh, I like that! Is there a compact version of this? If there is, I think I'd like to have one as a carry gun." So be it.
    Last edited by Seraph; October 7th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Springfield XD's have a grip safety similar to 1911's and XD-M has a manual thumb safety. They also have visable loaded chamber indicators and cocked striker indicator. I don't think they are made in .380 tho. Why not 9mm?
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I would recommend the Smith Bodyguard in .38, not .380. Small, lightweight, 5 shot and a builtin laser.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    While a bit larger, I have grown surprisingly fond of a Ruger SR9c that I bought on a whim.

It has a manual safety, click down to fire.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would recommend the Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact, HK USP Compact and the Walther P99ASc which all have a safety and a decocker. I have two pistols with safeties but I never use them. Instead I load the pistol to carry a round in the chamber and then I use the decocker to carry it in DA/SA so that the DA trigger is my safety. I personally think that safeties are dangerous under stress so I would not recommend it to anyone unless they have a LOT of practice with it. Therefore, I think that it is best for an inexperienced shooter to carry a DAO sub-compact pistol like the Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P-3AT or Sig Sauer P238 or a revolver like the Ruger LCR, S&W 642 or Ruger SP-101 in .38+P.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Well yesterday she tried the Ruger LCP...and hated it. Even though she has tiny hands, she felt the grip was too small, not to mention the sights were useless <lol>
    She did like the feel of the .380 caliber. Next week we will be back at the range for her to shoot the LCR as she felt the grips were more substantial. One good thing came of the trip. I had the range master talk to her about the manual safety concern. This guy mad his point the best way possible. She was worked that it would go off if she fell, dropped it or if someone bumped into her. He loaded the LCR with blanks cocked it & chucked it 10 feet to show her it would not discharge. I saw the smile on her face when that gun hit the floor hard & nothing happened.
    I have to say she is pretty good at shooting. Using the LCR from the hip she hit her target at 7 yards consistently without aiming through the sights.

We will be going through the gun list compiled from this thread on a weekly basis until she finds her "happy" gun!.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links