Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety?? - Page 3

Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety??

This is a discussion on Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You might also want to look at the CZ83. .380 double stack magazine. If you can find one, check out the C82. Double stack, 9mm ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety??

VIP Member
    You might also want to look at the CZ83. .380 double stack magazine. If you can find one, check out the C82. Double stack, 9mm Makarov.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well my wife's Concealed carry permit arrived today, now the search gets serious!
    I have FINALLY gotten through to her that the safety in an unnecessary & potentially fatal precaution that she does not need. Her big fear was that if she drops it it would fire.
    I literally had to had to throw my loaded & chambered (with blanks) from the second story window to the deck for her to believe me!
    Next week she is trying the Bersa 380 & the Ruger SR9c as well as an LCR.

Pt 709 shoots great - worth a try. I really like my 738 - I carry it chamber empty - i can rack the slide about as fast as i can take the safety off - short throw. Shoots amazingly well for a gun it's size.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

I've been very happy with my SR9c, and my wife likes it too. Very nice shooter, slim, easy to conceal, and has a thumb safety. If she's looking for smaller, though the new Ruger LC9 might be better. It's DAO like the LCP and has a thumb safety as well.

HEre's a review: Ruger’s New LC9 Compact 9mm Pocket Pistol

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Besides the new Ruger LCP, the other new small handgun that came out recently is the Kimber Solo. It also has a manual safety ( on both sides even), but costs about double the price of the affordable LCP.

New member here. Wanted to say that i recently purchased the S&W M&P compact 9 and it has the manual safety that works in the same format as the one on the 1911. up for safe, down to fire which makes a very natural motion when drawing from a holster. as the weapon is raised, the thumb drops the safety off as it settles into the firing position. Just a thought. and with the interchangeable back straps, it can be customized to fit large or small hands. I picked mine up new for $499 and it shoots great. it was my choice for my chl qualification and is my primary carry. its a great weapon.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Another plug for the Taurus PT709/740 model as it is also similar to a 1911 in how the safety is operated. Very slim and light at 19 ounces. If you shop around you can pick up the black model for under $300. I have been very happy with mine. I hope this helps. God Bless

gig
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabreco View Post
    My wife & I have been looking for her carry gun. She has decided on a .380 like a Ruger LCP or a S&W Bodyguard.

The S&W was her preferred choice because it had a manual safety, but I have been reading that the EAA frames have issues with the take down pin falling out & the gun falling apart. Unfortunately the LCP has no manual safety.

My question is what other guns of the same size and roughly same caliber .32 cal < have manual safety??
    You have received some great advice through the various posts; but I would add that IMO the use of a manual safety depends on the mode of carry.
    If the pistol is in a holster with the trigger protected; then no need of the safety and it can be left in the fire position.
    However if your wife might slide the pistol into her purse or car console without trigger protection; then the safety would be a handly option to have.

Manual safeties are just an option that can be placed wherever for the need because all striker-fired pistols have a striker-block that prevents the release of the striker unless the trigger is pulled.

I have a Kahr PM9 with a manual safety and sometimes use it and sometimes do not depending on the carry method.

If you can consider something in the size range of the SR9c then I would take a look at the Bersa Thunder 9 UC. Mine is the most dependable pistol I own without a minutes trouble. It is configured with safety and de-cocker and ambi to boot.

If she is not comfortable carrying without a manual safety, then get one with manual safety. Otherwise the gun will be left at home instead of on her person. Also, as has been said before, training is important to get used to what she will carry. She might become more comfortable carrying with the manual safety off after a while. This should obviously only be done if the firearm was designed to be carried without a manual safety.

Ladies & Gentlemen...the choice was FINALLY made! (thank F&@%ing GOD)
    After test shooting what appeared to be every gun imaginable she fell in love with the Beretta P85.
    She liked the feel of it, the way it shot, & the way it carried in the holster! EXCELLENT you say? No, then she got sticker shock!
    You see the P85 is around $650+ . I told her it didn't matter but she said she can't see spending that much.
    My wife is frugal she wants quality but at a reasonable price. ANYWAY...The next runner up, and it was a real close run
    was the Bersa Thunder, and at $250 she likes it just as much as she fell in love with her Hyundai.
    So it looks like the "quest" is over. I want to thank everyone for the plethora of suggestion that made this search comprehensive.
    My gun is like an adult diaper, I wear it daily & no one has to know, until the day "crap happens"

gig
    Bersa Thunder is a geat gun. Mine has handled everything I fed it. It not only has a manual safety, but also a decocker.
    Basically you can load it and leave it in any configuration you wish.

The Bersa Thunder 380 is a good little pistol.
    However, my suggestion would have been the new Ruger LC9.

TDL
    For a Good Manual Safety - Dont forget SIG!! My P238 carry is hands down the top .380 carry out there. I have tried to make it fail and it keeps on going, any ammo brand etc.. I would love to carry a glock, but lets face it, they get in the way sometimes. The P238 I can put in my back pocket. Very low recoil and deadly accurate out of the box! My young daughter loves it and so do I. I have big hands but somehow the little 1911 'knock off' fits me perfect especially with the extended magazine. The bad guys would never see what hit 'em.. Just my two cents...

TDL
    I think mandalitten is right - Training is the most important even if you have been shooting for years. Be repetitive and consistent and safe. A safety has never slowed me down as it is second nature to know my weapon and be able to use it quickly and accurately. The only way to do this is training.

The Ruger LC9 was a nice little gun, 2 things she didn't like about it
    1. it is double action only
    2. although a little bigger than an LCP still not comfortable in the hand plus hard to control the kick of a small gun.

The Sig IS a great gun, it's the Benz of .380's. She loved the Sig 232 but her "frugality" got the better of her. Like the Beretta, she did not want to spend $550+ for her gun.
    My gun is like an adult diaper, I wear it daily & no one has to know, until the day "crap happens"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links