Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety??

This is a discussion on Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife & I have been looking for her carry gun. She has decided on a .380 like a Ruger LCP or a S&W Bodyguard. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety??

Which Compact guns have MANUAL safety??

My wife & I have been looking for her carry gun. She has decided on a .380 like a Ruger LCP or a S&W Bodyguard.

The S&W was her preferred choice because it had a manual safety, but I have been reading that the EAA frames have issues with the take down pin falling out & the gun falling apart. Unfortunately the LCP has no manual safety.

My question is what other guns of the same size and roughly same caliber .32 cal < have manual safety??

2. Remove Ads

Sig 238
    Bersa Thunder 380
    Radom P64
    FEG PA-63

Distinguished Member
    The only other gun I can think of that would have a manual safety would be the SIG 238 which is a Single Action only like the 1911 style. If you are concerned with the overall safety of other .380 style pistols that do not have a manual safety, I have been carrying an LCP for a few years as well as others who have carried that along with other style .380s and have not heard of one negligent discharge posted on here or any other websites I follow. With the proper training and a good holster those weapons without a manual safety are very safe.

I personnely don't like manual safeties on my weapons due to it being something you have to remember to switch off in the event you have to use it in a high stress situation. I have a lot of training with pistols within the military, and have trained a lot of soldiers in the use of pistols in high stress situations, and the one thing I have learned is when high stress is added people lose their fine motor skills and something as simple as switching off the safety can be difficult during a life and death situation. My unit applies the KISS "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID" method as much as possible.

As for the S&W Bodyguard .380, it is a new design but so far I have not heard any complaints about the function of the pistol.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I would advise against a manual safety also, but the Bersa Thunder .380 is a great little pistol. Single stack with great ergos and its very thin.

VIP Member
    'Concur w/skysoldier. The LCP is a very safe firearm to carry loaded, with one in the pipe. Logically, it is no different than carrying a loaded revolver. It's double-action only - there is no hammer waiting to fall. I've pocket-carried one (holstered) for over a year now and it has seen serious abuse (manual labor, bending over, carrying heavy stuff, bumping into things, etc..). I can't imagine how it could go off by accident.

If I were to insist on a manual safety on a .380, I'd go with the Sig 238. That's never gonna happen though. For self-defense, I've chosen the KISS principle.

Forgot to add that the Bersa is a DA/SA which means a long, hard trigger pull on the first shot. Keep in mind that a quality holster must be used to cover the trigger gaurd.

If I were to carry it, I would do so with the safety off, hammer down.

The Taurus Millennium Pro series all have manual safeties, and are DAO to boot. Available calibers include .32, .380, 9mm, .40 and .45, but that are all pretty much the same size. I have the earlier model (PT111, not a Pro) in 9mm, and recoil is mild. There is no sense in dropping down to the .32, unless someone had given you a lifetime supply of ammo.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My wife has so far been adamant about a manual safety. She has "concerns" about carrying with one in the chamber & no safety. <sigh> I have tried to explain that in an emergency she would have to remember to disengage it! (I suppose she's afraid of shooting her butt off). She feels comfortable with revolvers. I carry a Sigma cocked & locked & have no issues. I just don't want her carrying w/o one in the chamber.
    Anyway, I want to go to the gun shop with a list & let her try the alternatives.

Kahrs got the option for manual safety..

VIP Member
    If it helps, I also really struggled with the notion of carrying with one in the chamber (Coast Guard forbade that practice). To get over the psychological aspect, I'd carry a cocked Glock with a snap cap in the chamber. There was never a circumstance where I would find that it had fired. Once I had un-done years of poor training and thinking, I was able to happily carry 'ready to rock'. Perhaps the revolver might help her with this concept.

Just a little bigger with 9mm are the Kahr PM9 and the Taurus PT709. I hope this helps. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Cabreco View Post
    My wife has so far been adamant about a manual safety. She has "concerns" about carrying with one in the chamber & no safety. <sigh> I have tried to explain that in an emergency she would have to remember to disengage it! (I suppose she's afraid of shooting her butt off). She feels comfortable with revolvers. I carry a Sigma cocked & locked & have no issues. I just don't want her carrying w/o one in the chamber.
    Anyway, I want to go to the gun shop with a list & let her try the alternatives.
    Honestly I used to be the same way. What changed my mind was shooting a IDPA match with my PT145 and on BOTH of my runs missing the safety on my draw. After that I figured if I could mess something up that I had practiced 1000 times (draw and sweep the saftey off) while I was under under mild stress doing something like IDPA the chance was VERY high I would mess it up under high stress. I changed to a gun with no manual safety and never looked back.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

the new PX4 sub compact 9mm has a slide safety - but that's a bigger gun than you mentioned... As someone else said - some of the Kahr PM9s have a new frame safety.

Beretta makes one in .32 manual safety.
    Personally I would think the Taurus pt 709 slim would fit your needs well.
    The Beretta is gonna be smaller though.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The tiny .32acp Seecamp can be had with a safety.
    The Walther PPK has a safety.
    There are some of the Sig P230 that are in .32acp that have a safety.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links