Just bought my 1st S&W revolver.

This is a discussion on Just bought my 1st S&W revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure how I did on this revolver but for 140 dollars I didn't think I could go wrong. I was looking for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my 1st S&W revolver.

Just bought my 1st S&W revolver.

I'm not sure how I did on this revolver but for 140 dollars I didn't think I could go wrong. I was looking for a winter project gun on the cheap that I could restore/refinish and I think I did OK. The gun is a 5 screw, early M&P with a 4 inch barrel. I'm not sure of the exact date but the numbers on the gun are as follows the inside of the cylinder arm is marked with a 6 then 2300x underneath then 8 under that.The bottom of frame is numbered c 3477xx the same number is found on the bottom of grip frame. My plan is to get a cheap police trade in holster with 4 or so speed loaders and give IDPA a try with a revolver. I've shot dozens of matches with automatics but this is my 1st revolver. Here are the pictures let me know how I did.

"The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I love it! great gun to fix up during the winter..... It is the legendary M&P line-up before semi-auto's!!! Classic....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I'd get a 're-do' on that baby...nice pistola!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You need a fedora and a thin tie to go with that gat! Very nice..good luck with it!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Looks like a lot of history in that gun. How's the barrel rifling?

Nice project gun.
    Semper Fi

Anyone have any ideas as to the date of manufacture, or would I have to call up S&W? The rifling is strong in the bore and the cylinder seems to lock up well and lines with the bore true enough. Most of the problems seem to be with the finish. I'm considering a set of Houge Monogrips and a black parkerizing. Cheap and should fill the role for this gun nicely.

EDIT: From another forum it seems the ship date is around 1956 which is right at the end of the 5 screw era, the grips are off a WWII victory model.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Nice gun. My first handgun was a 5 screw Chief Spl., qualified for my HCP with it. Enjoy.

I've since picked up a few more S&Ws

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

That should be a good gun for you. I bought a 2" M&P new in the mid 60's and it was C64xxxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas as to the date of manufacture, or would I have to call up S&W? The rifling is strong in the bore and the cylinder seems to lock up well and lines with the bore true enough. Most of the problems seem to be with the finish. I'm considering a set of Houge Monogrips and a black parkerizing. Cheap and should fill the role for this gun nicely.

EDIT: From another forum it seems the ship date is around 1956 which is right at the end of the 5 screw era, the grips are off a WWII victory model.

I emailed S&W and they gave me a year of manufacture on mine. It took a couple of days. Mine was made in 53'.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post

I agree, just from the style of grips and serial number I'd say it was made in the 50's. I don't think S&W started stamping model numbers until the very late 50's or early 60's. It might have some collector value.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

GM
    Nice!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I would get some "how to" info and open up the action... bet there's a bunch of petrified crud in there, mucking up a well-broken-in action. Be careful when you shoot it the first time, because if the cylinder timing is off it may spit lead off to the sides. That's far more likely with old Iver Johnsons and H&Rs, but if this gem in the rough has been mistreated it may act the same.

Even if the IDPA game doesn't work out for you, there is a host of shootin' pleasure in store for you with this veteran. If you're a hand loader, cast bullets and some modest-velocity loads will have the rest of us pistoleros envious with how cheaply and accurately you can shoot.

Nice find! Keep us posted on the project progress.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It would have come home with me for that price! Looks like it mostly requires a cleaning. Try soaking it in Kroil or Liquid-Wrench for a day or two, wiping the exterior surfaces with a soaked rag of the stuff. Then carefully scrub it with a bronze/copper brush (no steel brushes or sandpaper). Wipe it clean to inspect the results. Repeat if necessary. Don't bear down vigorously with the brushing. You're only killing any active rust and removing some discoloration. Avoid taking it down to bright metal. Protect it with your favorite preservative and it is ready to go. A side benefit of keeping its exterior surfaces protected with something is that, over time, some additional discoloration will either become more muted or disappear completely. Of course any pitting won't go away. It will likely end up blue/brown with a soft, dignified look about it.

Minor irregularities: It is wearing a set of WWII era "Victory Model" grips. Checkered grips with a diamond surrounding the escutcheon would be appropriate. If "diamond" grips can't be found then any later checkered K-Frame service grips would be an improvement. The flat headed side plate screw at the rear of the trigger guard bow and the rear side plate screw have been switched. Just switch them back. The reason the rear side plate screw is flat is because a portion of the original style grip covered it. The screw head needed to be flush.

I'm guessing your Military & Police was produced in 1955. Here's another M&P from 1955 bearing serial No. C 3227XX. Note the grips. Also note the differences in the hammer spurs. Yours has a later style hammer. I would have expected it to be like mine but won't go so far as to say the hammer has been changed out because Smith & Wesson changed the hammer style about 1955-1956 and I'm not certain exactly when that occurred.

My '55 M&P is likely an old LEO gun and I enjoy it as it is. I think yours would actually clean up to look quite presentable too.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

^^^ The above approach is as far as I would go. Sometimes if you completely refinish a gun it actually ruins the value. You've got a nice gun and a nice price, it should clean up and be very presentable with character and class and serve you well as a nice shooter. Completely refinishing it would be a shame. Congrats on the Smith...you did very well I think.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links