$800 paper weight

This is a discussion on $800 paper weight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight I finally had time to get a good feel for my new Kimber Pro Carry II. I opened the book and it said to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $800 paper weight

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

$800 paper weight

Tonight I finally had time to get a good feel for my new Kimber Pro Carry II. I opened the book and it said to field strip and lube before use, so that is what I did. I got it a part with no problems, find it odd it needs a tool, but oh well. Went to put it back together, all was well until I went to put the slide stop back in, no matter what I did, it would not line up right for some reason or another. Anyways, I watched a few Youtube videos trying to see what I was doing wrong, was giving it one last go and the tool fell out, the slide stop fell out and the slide looks like it is on right BUT it is 100% stuck, wont move for nothing, no matter how much pressure I put on it. Tomorrow I am taking it to the store I bought it from, they have a Gun Smith on duty who they think will be able to free it up, but if this is how the Kimber is going to be, I will regret it. Not even had a chance to fire it and its already not giving me good impressions.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

I remember mine. That little wire and no barrel bushing took some getting used to. I had one of the early Pro Carry models and it was VERY accurate, but the problems got too annoying so i sold it.

I think once I get all of this figured out I will love it. i just hope the gun smith can get it for me tomorrow and maybe show me how to reinstall that slide stop. I would love to take it out shooting this weekend, which is what I was getting it ready for. I just want to scream.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I suspect it is an issue with the position of the slide when the takedown tool fell out. Don't get down on your Kimber because of this. They are good guns. The gunsmith should be able to rectify the problem. When he does, get him to show you exactly how to put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    I suspect it is an issue with the position of the slide when the takedown tool fell out. Don't get down on your Kimber because of this. They are good guns. The gunsmith should be able to rectify the problem. When he does, get him to show you exactly how to put it back together.
    The guy on the phone seemed confident that their guy could do it. I hope he can. I do plan on asking him to show me how to get it right if he is able to fix it so I wont continue to have issues. I am use to Glocks, snap on, snap off.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I know several fellows who have had the same experience, I know one...personally. You will get the hang of it, certainly not like breaking down a Glock...but it DOES get easier.
    I have two Kimbers!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I am use to Glocks, snap on, snap off.
    Yes Glocks are a snap, probably why we gave them to the Iraqi Police.

Breaking down was not the issue, it was the slide stop on reassembly and now the jammed slide And I surely hope I dont hear any of the "I told you so's" about being a Kimber from those that suggested not buying one.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Could be worse... if you had a Ruger .22 pistol you'd still be asking how to put it back together 5 years after you owned it! Once you see your Kimber go back together, you won't forget how. Other than the bushingless barrel 'deviation,' you really could do it blindfolded after a couple of tries.

One other thing to be careful of, and the manual points this out, it that the frame needs to be upright (really, just not inverted) and the grip safety depressed so the Swartz firing pin plunder retracts into the frame. If you try to yank the slide back with the plunger in the 'up' position, the plunger will probably shear off. That might tie the gun up, but worse, the gun won't go bang!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Could be worse... if you had a Ruger .22 pistol you'd still be asking how to put it back together 5 years after you owned it! Once you see your Kimber go back together, you won't forget how. Other than the bushingless barrel 'deviation,' you really could do it blindfolded after a couple of tries.
    Yeah it was just that dang slide stop causing all the issues. I never knew one little piece of metal could be such a pain in my rear.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If the slide stop was not in the gun when the slide went forward, then the barrel link probably was jammed rearward as the slide went forward. Let the 'smith handle it. In the future, make sure the slide release is through the barrel link before releasing the tension on the recoil spring. BTW, I've owned two Kimber Pro-Carry's and never had a problem. They're good guns.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

This can and does happen to people with all kinds of guns. I'm sure your not the only one, as I've done it to my pistols, just not as bad. And yes, it was a ruger 22!!!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Don't feel too bad, I took a Mossberg 500 apart and for the life of me could not get it back together....off to Youtube. Then not long after that I took my Sig 232 apart and while removing the slide a spring and keeper took off across the garage. I didn't have a clue even where it came from....back to the internet......thank heaven for videos and internet. I seem to have a knack for getting things apart.....but that's about as far as I go. I should be working in a junk yard with a hot wrench.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Its a pretty paperweight though you'll get the hang of it, 1911's are a little tricky at first and the slidestop is definitely the most difficult part to master, remember I said watch out for the "idiot scratch" in your last thread? Don't want to scratch that puppy up already! I find it easier to strip&assemble bull barrels without the paperclip/tool holding everything together, I compress the spring with my finger over the guiderod and just pop everything into place and put the slide back on.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Tonight I finally had time to get a good feel for my new Kimber Pro Carry II. I opened the book and it said to field strip and lube before use, so that is what I did. I got it a part with no problems, find it odd it needs a tool, but oh well. Went to put it back together, all was well until I went to put the slide stop back in, no matter what I did, it would not line up right for some reason or another. Anyways, I watched a few Youtube videos trying to see what I was doing wrong, was giving it one last go and the tool fell out, the slide stop fell out and the slide looks like it is on right BUT it is 100% stuck, wont move for nothing, no matter how much pressure I put on it. Tomorrow I am taking it to the store I bought it from, they have a Gun Smith on duty who they think will be able to free it up, but if this is how the Kimber is going to be, I will regret it. Not even had a chance to fire it and its already not giving me good impressions.
    LOL you are sounding like a 1911 newbie! Do yourself a favor and make sure that the barrel is all the way back and in place. The first time I got a 1911 I had the same issue. I will bet it's not the kimber and odds are you are just not used to putting it back together. By the way, I have never used a tool to put mine back together. I bet that smith put that 1911 back together in a few seconds. You would have done better to PM a couple folks then post this as the 1911 guys are going to chuckle and every Glock guy is going to say that they told you so! You also come across like it's a Kimber issue, but it's your lack of experience that's the problem. I give you a couple days and you will be doing it blind folded.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links