Looking for a snubby- S&W 442 or Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on Looking for a snubby- S&W 442 or Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to buy a snubby 38 with the intent to add it to my CCW permit. I have pretty much narrowed it down to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm looking to buy a snubby 38 with the intent to add it to my CCW permit. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the S&W 442 and the Ruger LCR. I can get either one for 399 and S&W is having a $50 mail in rebate now so the 442 would be 349. As far as the guns themselves go they are almost identical in size and the LCR only weighs 1.5oz less then the 442. I have shot a friend's 442 and liked it pretty well and did ok with the 20 rounds I shot. I have not had a chance to shoot the LCR but plan to rent one before making a final decision. I currently own an Taurus 605 that I do not want to carry since it's heavy and I'm looking for a lightweight BUG. Anyone have experience with these 2 revolvers that can give me advice? I know either one would be a good choice, just looking for opinions from people who own either gun. Thanks in advance!

I like my 442 and IMO, that's a pretty good deal if you can get a new one for $349.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I like the LCR better than the 442. The trigger is a lot smoother.

That being said, I bought the S&W 638. I really like the shrouded hammer since it allows the option for SA. I added a Crimson Trace LaserGrip and it's a very accurate gun. I really don't think you would be unhappy with either, but definitely to rent the LCR. One more thing to mention is that there are a lot more accessories (speedloaders, grips, etc.) for the S&W J-Frames since they have been around a lot longer.

gtv
    Bought my wife a Ruger LCR in .38 Special, and I have to say it is a great little revolver. It is definitely turning me into a wheelgun fan. Hers has the Hogue grip, and even shooting +Ps through it, the recoil is not bad at all. Heck, my 10 year old niece shot it the last time we took it out. I put it in my pocket in a Blackhawk! nylon holster, and just about forget it is there. The one thing I am not crazy about is that standard speedloaders do not work well with it, due to the size of the grip sticking out where the speedloader needs to go. I think they have fixed this with the newer guns, but I have just been using Bianchi speedstrips, and they do well once you get used to them.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I just bought a S&W 442 and I love it. Nonetheless, I think that the Ruger LCR is better since it has better sights, is lighter, better trigger and handles recoil better. If you do get the 442, make sure you change the grips on the gun and install Wolff springs and dry fire it a lot to smooth out the trigger. The recoil on a lightweight snub nose revolver is very significant so make sure you try one before you buy it.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Thanks for the tips so far guys! I shot 38+p in my friend's gun and didn't mind the recoil at all. My primary carry gun is my Glock 36 and the 442 is no worse than the lightweight 45. I am hoping to rent an LCR next week to try it out before I make a final decision.

I think you'll be impressed with the LCR. The recoil on it seems to come straight back rather than muzzle flip and the trigger is so smooth it'll surprise you.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Ruger LCR, much smoother trigger and only weighs 13.5 ounces..theres also a 3 grip choices now for the LCR.i believe the Hogue Tamer Grip is the newest..less bulky then the Hogue Boot Grip,or you can get the Crimson Trace Laser Grip..

The Smith j-frames has been made for 50+ so I think they got them right. My choice is the 442.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have the 642 S&W now, you can see on my signature below I used to have the LCR. I did not like the LCR it seemed to recoil more or maybe a better statement would be it had more muzzle flip. I will have to say the 642/442 is a better choice for me for fit and I like a all metal revolver. I have a clip draw on order for it and will carry it in the waste band or pocket carry. see link for clip draw.

http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index....on=show_detail

You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson wheel gun. That's why I have 3 of them (638, 438, M&P 340)
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with either. My police students seem to be choosing the Ruger as an ankle gun. I intend to follow suit.

They're both great. I opted for the 442, and haven't looked back
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    love love love my LCR. I sold my Sig p238 to get something more reliable for pocket carry and the LCR does just fine. I think either gun would be a good choice but I bet the LCR with the Hogue grip would be more comfortable to shoot.

I am sure if you have been on this forum for more than a week you already know that I am not a fan of the air weights. I believe the 649 is the Ultimate pocket wheel gun for a BUG or Primary, it is that good. If the weight is that much of a negative to you check out the S&W 638. But if a few ounces is going to ruin your day maybe you may want to rethink carrying in general. If you are sold on the airweights please practice and practice often. Get use to the snappy recoil and be able to deliver quick double taps to COM. I am not against airweights for expierenced, but I am against the gun mags and gun shop commandos recommending them to the new shooter or person just getting into CCing. Most of the air weights sold to people like this end up sitting in a night stand and seldom if ever practiced with. Mine rides nice in a Mika pocket holster, round cut for jeans and a square cut for slacks.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links