Thinking about making a few more changes on my EDC G19

This is a discussion on Thinking about making a few more changes on my EDC G19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks, My current EDC setup is a G19 GEN3 with the following changes: 1. Meprolight Tritium Sights 2. Extended Slide Release Lever 3. Stainless ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about making a few more changes on my EDC G19

Thinking about making a few more changes on my EDC G19

Hey folks,
    My current EDC setup is a G19 GEN3 with the following changes:
    1. Meprolight Tritium Sights
    2. Extended Slide Release Lever
    3. Stainless Steel Guiderod w/captured spring

I am also thinking about doing the following, but wanted to see if anybody out there has done any of the following and can recomend or argue against anything:

1. Titanium Striker
    2. Titanium Saftey Plunger
    3. Complete Fulcrum Trigger Kit

This is all stuff that can be found on Glockstore.com
    My main concern is lightening the trigger pull on my EDC, and if that might make me more prone to an accidental discharge under stress. I certainly have no problems shooting it as is, but wonder if lightening the trigger pull will make me more accurate (that's what Glockstore claims). Common sense is telling me "If it aint broke..."
    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I already have a Lasermax Guiderod kit on my Christmas list. Hopefully Santa will provide

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I did replace the slide lock lever on my G30 (don't care for the flat OEM ), I'm more of the "If it ain't broke" school. I think lightening the trigger on a SD firearm only increases the chances of an "unintented" discharge (really hate the AD versus ND battles). But that's your decision to make.

I don't know of anyone who's complained of a broken striker or safety plunger, so why spend $$ on that? Spend it on ammo instead.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I see no reason to do any of the modifications that you have listed. I have several Glocks and have never had a single issue with any of them, were talking about thousands, and thousands of rounds. I see no reason for the modifications unless you are having some type of failures now. Even if you were my recommendation would be for stock parts not Titanium, this and that. This isn't a race gun it is for SD and s stock Glock is ideal for this role. The only thing I do to my Glocks is install the TFO sights. Otherwise they are ready to roll right out of the box. May not sound impressive on the gun forum signature line. But I am confident it will do it's part if I do mine. Try and remember this, just because it says it is a improvement over stock in the advertising, doesn't mean that it is.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    I already have a Lasermax Guiderod kit on my Christmas list. Hopefully Santa will provide
    Thought about that one... I like the "instinctive grip" on/off idea better. I had someone hand me a sig with a crimson trace on it and they didnt tell me it had the laser... I was actually surprised when I raised the weapon and lo and behold I was painting my target with a little red dot. No reaching for an on-off switch anywhere.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

opinion to follow

is it a glock? then leave it stock!

Why go adding all these fancy toys? What are you gaining that you didnt have before? a titanium plunger? REALLY?!

lasermax- I have seen these render a gun inoperable until serviced by a gunsmith 3 times.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Extended slide release and sights, if you find these improve the utility. Otherwise, particularly if it's running reliably well now, I'd recommend leaving it.

On the trigger, I would leave it stock. You can have a trigger job to smooth and improve, but the G19 trigger is a fairly good one. On my own gun, I would not lighten, partly due to safety.

On the extended slide release ... A friend recently brought a G19 with extended slide stop/release to the range. Nice. It made all the difference for my being able to manipulate that lever. Being lefty and with the angle/leverage my finger is able to generate, I've had problems effectively using the stop until trying it with this extended stop. Nice change.

Guide rod ... If you're having issues with the guide rod/spring assy being gritty or not working smoothly enough, then perhaps considering an alternative rod/spring choice would be worthwhile. Though, I have yet to shoot a G19 that ever had a crummy rod/spring in it. So long as the owner kept up with the maintenance, swapping in new parts when appropriate and kept it clean, reliability was hard to beat.

Sights are personal preference. Depends on your eye's ability to react, focus, and what feels best to you. Size-wise and color-wise, I prefer the Trijicon and Meprolight type alternatives, as compared to XS and other "big dot" type sights. But that's me. Whatever works for you.

Don't have a G19 myself, but I'm also with those who suggest sticking with a primarily stock Glock.

Had a CZ P-01 for years. It's basic grip, trigger, levers and operations were so excellent that I had kept all those "core" elements stock. There didn't seem any real need to change them, though I fiddled with grip panels and sights. Similar to the G19 in simplicity, reliability, durability. On the important elements, I'd suggest leaving well enough alone.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 9th, 2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My 19 is stock except for the sights and Talon Grips. I like it that way. IMO the extended slide stop lever will increase the chance of you hitting it with your thumb while shooting (depending on your grip). This may cause premature lockback. Besides, using the slide stop lever to send it home is easy on the line. But in combat your fine motor skills will go and even the extended lever may be hard to hit. Hand over the top of the slide and rip back. This is a gross motor skill that you can maintain in combat.

The plastic recoil spring assembly held up well beyond the 5,000 rounds that Glock recommends replacing it after.

I tried the 3.5# connector and found it too mushy with a longer reset.

The stock trigger is perfect. I can make good COM hits very fast with this trigger. Once the stock Glock trigger is mastered, it works very well.

Gaston designed it pretty well.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I would be VERY reluctant to lighten the trigger pull. If you ever did have to defend yourself with it, you give your assailant's attorney or an anti gun prosecuter one more angle to go at you from.

Thanks for being the voice of reason. I'm going to leave it as is. Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    Thanks for being the voice of reason. I'm going to leave it as is. Take care!
    Very wise choice Grasshopper!!!
    I didn't get into the lasermax rod units. I as well have seen several and read about countless Glocks being locked up solid after using them. If you must have a laser device look at Crimson Trace I have them on my G23 and they work very well. But don't forget about practicing with your irons.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I carry a stock g19. What more do you need? Seriously!

If it makes you as if it'll be more reliable... Well, go for it. Id much rather maintain it and let it be as is.

I have a G 19 and wont make any modifications to it. I wish it had come with metal sights instead of the plastic ones but the sight picture is on target and I'm not willing to replace them and potentially throw it off. Really I'd rather invest money in some replacement parts in case the guide rod breaks or the barrel gets worn or something. I'm sorta that way with a lot of my weapons though will say I do want to add some custom stuff to my cheap 1911 like a rounded hammer spur and some god awful yellow smiley face grips. But then my 1911 is a fun gun and not really for carry.

I would only change the sights on it. I have heard that some people like the Titanium safety plunger because it makes the trigger pull smoother. On my 30 everything is stock with the exception of the sights and the trigger. I replaced the serrated G30 trigger with a smooth faced factory Glock G21 trigger. If you don't like the way the trigger feels I'd replace it with a G17 smooth faced trigger and call it good. I personally don't see a need for the extended slide stop (as Glock calls it) and for the same reasons an earlier poster mentioned I prefer the hand over the top of the slide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links