Thoughts on the Kel-Tec P-11?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the Kel-Tec P-11? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since selling my Taurus 38 hammerless I have wanted another BUG. I know that CDNN is having a killer deal on the Sig 232 but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Kel-Tec P-11?

Distinguished Member

Since selling my Taurus 38 hammerless I have wanted another BUG. I know that CDNN is having a killer deal on the Sig 232 but a) I'm a little short of cash and b) I really, really want to stay in the 9mm caliber. Now remember, I just want a bug. It's Plan B when the shtf. This looks like it would fill the bill and Bud's has them shipped for $250. The little I know about Kel-Tec's seems to be you love them or hate them. Thoughts?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

How do you plan on carrying it?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I got one and I love it. Carry it everywhere, sometimes as my main carry. A little to big for BUG as it is a little heavy for the pocket.

Tim

The PF9 would be somewhat better for a BUG.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I carry a p11 daily in cargo shorts in the summer. Range gun? No freakin way the thing kicks like a mule with +p ammo. Good sd firearm absolutely never had an issue with any ammo and probably around 800 down the pipe. Do the fluff and buff the wider trigger and life will be good.

Kind of like with Glocks........you love them or hate them. The Kel Tec could be something I'd look into for certain reasons. I have in the past, and my wife did before selecting her final CC pistol. It's a thin one no doubt, but the trigger just simply won't cut it in my book, or hers. Not at all bad considering the price. But the feel of it overall just concerned me for frequent practice. I'm afraid I'd shoot one of those out of spec with a range session. As a bug........fine. But one still needs to practice with the BUG to become confident. A BUG and a last ditch pistol are two different things IMO. If you get close enough to your attacker for a gut shot CQC, then you are in limbo to my thinking. Never hurts to have a last ditch effort to save your life. My opinion on the kel Tec is that it would be a back-up pistol only. And a good one for the price.

i have a p-11 and i love it.great gun for the money.500 + down the pipe,and not 1 problem
    use it as a daily carry gun(when im not carrying my glocks).you wont be disappointed..
    good luck

IMO; suitable as a paperweight. Just too many reported problems with them for me...

Distinguished Member
    Good price, terrible trigger.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    The P11 is my main gun when I'm working (tucked in shirt) and my BUG when I'm doing everything else. The trigger could be shorter and lighter but I have had a lot of flawless rounds in my little pocket shooter.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer252 View Post
    i have a p-11 and i love it.great gun for the money.500 + down the pipe,and not 1 problem
    use it as a daily carry gun(when im not carrying my glocks).you wont be disappointed..
    good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
    I got one and I love it. Carry it everywhere, sometimes as my main carry. A little to big for BUG as it is a little heavy for the pocket.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    The P11 is my main gun when I'm working (tucked in shirt) and my BUG when I'm doing everything else. The trigger could be shorter and lighter but I have had a lot of flawless rounds in my little pocket shooter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a rediculously good gun for the money.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member
    " A BUG and a last ditch pistol are two different things IMO. " Ram, could you elaborate on this a little more? I'm looking at it as a point and shoot If my primary is disabled or my right arm/hand is disabled.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

aznav,

I have both the P-11 and PF9. The P-11 served me well for a couple of years but my PF9 has a much better trigger and is flatter being only a single stack. Both shoot equally well and are equally reliable, but I carry my BUG in a pocket holster and the PF9 just disappears in the pocket where the P-11 bulges quite a bit more. Less rounds in the PF9 also makes for a lighter gun to carry, and that is a major factor for some. Just some food for thought.

tex45acp
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I agree with RamRod, people tend to either love them or hate them...I fell into the latter category. I had one for a while. I was a dependable shooter, but I hated the loooooooong pull. I eventually traded it for a 9mm Glock.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 9th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Guys, great info and thanks! Tex, I'm going to check out the PF 9 because that is exactly what I want: thin and light. As far as the long trigger pull. Thinking that would work for me as I would prefer that, in my panic, not to go off in my pants... shudder.

ps. edit. Just picked up a PF 9 from CDNN. You just can't beat their prices. Picked up an extra mag, too. Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links