MP loose rattling slide?

MP loose rattling slide?

This is a discussion on MP loose rattling slide? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I checked out an MP the other day at the range,a rental to see if I would like it for a future purchase,Is it common ...

Thread: MP loose rattling slide?

MP loose rattling slide?

I checked out an MP the other day at the range,a rental to see if I would like it for a future purchase,Is it common for these to have such loose slides that rattle,it was worse then the old 1911's ever thought of being!I wasn't impressed!I'm sure it was beat to heck but it worried me whether it could take punishment or not this pistol looked in poor health,wasn't as accurate as any of my pistols and like I said rattled like it was about to fall apart.

Definitely not the norm. I have two, one a long slide I bought used (well used I might add) and the other a FS .45. Both lock up tight. I am sure the range pistol is pretty used and abused, might even have some frame rail damage. Both of mine have slight movement if I grip hard and try to move it from side to side, but no rattle.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Well, if you are deliberately shaking the gun from side to side vigorously, yes, it will indeed rattle. Both of my MP pistols will rattle quite a bit if shook that way.

But it has no deterimental effect on the handgun at all. It is just a bit startling, that is all. I can shake my Glock, or either of my SIG's like that, and they don't make a sound.

However, if I shake either of my new Walther PPS pistols, they will rattle in a very similar manner. I think that this is just the way that more modern guns are being designed these days.

My favorite pistols are my S&W M&P's and my Walther PPS's. Yet, they are my only handguns that will rattle if shook hard.

So don't worry at all. This is a sign of progress, and more modern technology at work.

Say What?!?!?! A range rental gun that rattles? Say it's not true!!!!

If someone posted a thread about a range rental Glock falling apart, would we then assume that Glocks can't hold up to any amount of punishment.

You may want to do a little more research into the M&P line of pistols. One thing you would learn is that unlike pistols, the four frame rails can be easily replaced and the pistol would be about as tight as new.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Who knows how many rds that gun has put down range. All guns loosen with use. Check out a new one at a store to see what they're really like. I remember my GI 1911 rattled like crazy, but it was left over from WWII.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I have three mags, two 12 rounds and a 10'er for a 9c. One of the 12's rattles when I have 12 rounds in it, has from day one. The rattle sounds and looks like it's around #6. If I take one round out, the rattle stops. I use it at the range and never have any problems with it. Just rattles abit.

Really missed the boat on this one. Wrong rattle......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    ... the four frame rails can be easily replaced and the pistol would be about as tight as new.
    Armourers chime in but there is no less stainless steel on an M&P than on a Glock. I believe that the M&P is more SS-reinforced. The four rails on the chassis are SS. Maybe it's true of the Glock?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Mine rattles if i Shake it hard... but it is tight as ever. its' got 2000+rounds through it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Armourers chime in but there is no less stainless steel on an M&P than on a Glock. I believe that the M&P is more SS-reinforced. The four rails on the chassis are SS. Maybe it's true of the Glock?

True for Glocks? No, the rails are not replaceable. If a rail were to wear prematurely or break, the entire frame would have to be replaced.

Rail issues have been a problem for Glock in recent years with a few government agencies... Story here.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSCPLer View Post
    I have three mags, two 12 rounds and a 10'er for a 9c. One of the 12's rattles when I have 12 rounds in it, has from day one. The rattle sounds and looks like it's around #6. If I take one round out, the rattle stops. I use it at the range and never have any problems with it. Just rattles abit.

Really missed the boat on this one. Wrong rattle......

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

is what came to my mind.

Are you sure its not your mags???
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro2340 .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

is what came to my mind.

Are you sure its not your mags???
    this is a great point... My mags rattle if i shake them hard..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    No, that is not it. The M&P's will still rattle a little, even if one removes the mag from the handgun.

You really have to shake it violently, though, to hear anything.

Perhaps this range gun ECHOONE tried has issues. With the popularity of the M&P, a range gun could conceivable have a lot of rounds through it.

I actually noticed this with the M&P45c I fondled at the store yesterday. I found it a bit strange but when I shook it, it did rattle a bit. I didn't shake it violently but I didn't exactly shake it lightly either. I only handled one so I couldn't tell if it was just a issue with the one I was handling or a issue inherent in the line. When I go back to buy my .45c I'll check a few to see if they all rattle.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I actually noticed this with the M&P45c I fondled at the store yesterday. I found it a bit strange but when I shook it, it did rattle a bit. I didn't shake it violently but I didn't exactly shake it lightly either. I only handled one so I couldn't tell if it was just a issue with the one I was handling or a issue inherent in the line. When I go back to buy my .45c I'll check a few to see if they all rattle.
    I will do a shake test for you guys when I get back and see how mine are. I never paid much attention, my are just flat our boring and go bang every time.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Just for GPs I shook my G30 and it rattled too. But then I realized it was the cartridges in the mag. I quess it won't be a problem unless I'm doing the salsa.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsored Links