Kimber Pro Carry II range report

This is a discussion on Kimber Pro Carry II range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, let me preface this saying that I have NEVER shot anything larger than a 9mm in the pistol calibers and surely have not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Pro Carry II range report

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

First off, let me preface this saying that I have NEVER shot anything larger than a 9mm in the pistol calibers and surely have not shot a 1911 before.

As I posted, on Tues I picked up a Kimber Pro Carr II at Vances in Columbus Ohio for $769.99. I had a little issue with it after field striping it in which I had to take it back to have them fix it, it was user error and not a gun error.

Today I took 150 rounds to the range with the included 7 round magazine and I also bought a Kimber Kimpro 8 round magazine. Got to the range, checked in and went to business. I loaded up my magazines and sent a target about 20-30 yards. I shot both magazines and seen I was shooting low and right, which tends to be my theme with everything I shot today. The gun shot flawless, I did have to fail to feed but those were after reloads and I think I may not have had the round properly seated in the magazine, but it fired everything I put through it 100%. I put 150 Blazer 230 grain alum cased rounds and then for the fun of it I bought a box of Federal Hydroshock 230 grain and put only 7 of those down range and they fed 100%. I only put 7 due to what they cost. I dont know if it was me or not, but it did seem that the Federal had more recoil.

Speaking of recoil, I was shocked at how much recoil there was compared to 9mm. I surely felt it, but I think I will be able to overcome it in time. I took my 9 year old son with me and was going to let him fire it, but after feeling the recoil and seeing how small his hands were around it, I decided not to. I will buy a P22 for him sometime for that purpose.

The only complaint I have about today was that I did not have a ton more money for a ton more ammo, I enjoyed shooting it but I need more practice to gain accuracy. For what its worth, I did not care for the guys shooting in the stall two over from me, they had rifles and a semiauto shotgun and they were just blasting away and a couple of times i looked over during reloads and the barrel of their AK was aimed in my direction.

After coming home and cleaning it up

One handed shooting at 10 yards
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    10 yards 1 hand with a brand new pistol, Not to shabby. I just got a springfield loaded champion and going from glock .40s to that is a little bit different. You'll get used to the recoil over time.

Not only was that one hand, but it was a mix between my strong and weak hand and some rapid fire.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Justhere, I see you cleverly photographed the right side of your new 1911... was that to keep us from seeing the 1911 rookie-scratch from the slide stop? (j/k!) Glad to see you got the gun back together again.

Re the recoil: you chose a "lightweight" model for your first 1911, and that's got a lot to do with the big difference you feel in recoil over the 9mm. In all but the lightest or smallest guns, the 9mm really is a pussycat of a round. When you get a chance sometime, borrow a friend's steel 5-inch 1911 and shoot the same ammo, and you'll see the effect that an extra 9-10 ounces makes, in addition to the longer barrel. The shorter barrel seems to give you a bit more muzzle flip than the full-size gun. I think you made a good choice in holding off on letting Junior shoot this one for now.

No matter, I trust you find the recoil manageable, just a new sensation compared to the 9mm you've been shooting. A firm grip goes a long way toward keeping it under control.

Looking at your target, are you perchance left-handed? It's common for righties to pull their shots low to the left if they are jerking the trigger of if the trigger is unusually stiff, the latter being rare for a quality 1911.

When you get around to picking up some more magazines, I highly recommend the Wilson Combat and Cobra by Tripp. Maybe Kimber has improved their mags over the past 2-3 years, but the OEM mag that came with my Custom CDP Pro was a real turd that kept tying the gun up. Apparently that's not an unusual event.

Good luck with the new piece, and welcome to the huge club of 1911 shooters!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    Good job!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

"looked over during reloads and the barrel of their AK was aimed in my direction"

Some people just don't know or they forget the basics even if a weapon is unloaded it's not that hard to keep it pointed in a safe direction. Congrats on the new weapon, it's a good looking piece.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Looks pretty accurate bud! Yes indeed .45 has a bit more kick then 9mm, but it's a slower more manageable kick then say .40. Just take a little time and you will grow to love .45 acp! One suggestion, shoot the .45 first and then shoot your 9mm. The 9mm will feel like very easy.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Will try to respond to all.

Actually no "idiot" scratch yet. To be honest, got home and cleaned it today and guess what, I could not get that dang slide stop back in and had to make a trip to the shop to have them show me again, it was a differnet guy this time and he showed me much better than the last, I came home, took it out and put it back in no problem, so I think I have the hang of it now. This gun maybe a lightweight, I can say
    it does not feel light when fully loaded. I do not know anyone with a fullsize one, so will have to trust you on that. The only other person I know with one has a 3in Warthog. I managed the recoil just fine, it is just going to take time to get use to but as heavy as this gun is, I cant imagine a Glock or other lighter gun. I rented a .40 once, forgot about it until just now, its been over 10 years ago, I hated that. I think I expected more of a push on this, that is how I always have read .45 recoil, as a push back, but it did have quite a bit of flip up. As for what hand I am, that is up in the air. I write left handed, I do everything else right handed, I can do anything with my left hand that I can with my write, but shooting my left seems to be my weak hand. I am also LEFT eye dominant, and I shoot right handed. So far these Kimber mags have worked perfect except for the two FTF but again, I blame me for those.

As for the AK, I THINK they may have been trying to show it to me, regardless, I was not thrilled. I had my son with me, I am trying to teach him gun safety and that was not a good lesson for him. If it would have happened a second time, I would have been at the range desk making it known I wanted a differnt lane away from those bozos.

Eventually I will get another handgun. As of how this Kimber is all I have. I promised my son I would try to pick up a .22 for him to shoot, not sure when that will be.

This is is about how most of my targets looked if they were shot two handed and past 10 yards. I surely need more practice.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I recommend a revolver for your son to start with, and a Ruger Single-Six is about as basic as it gets.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I find the differences in 9mm - .40 - .45 recoil relatively insufficient. Yes, there is some difference to be expected, especially the first few shots, but after shooting any of them for a bit, those differences seem to diminish. Now jumping up to the magnum calibers is a significant escalation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Nice shootin', I think you'll be very pleased with your new gun, I certainly like my Pro-Carry.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I ordered a CrossBreed Supertuck for it today, they say three to four weeks, I hope it is sooner than later. i did carry it today, but something feels so wrong with putting a gun of this quality into a Uncle Mikes holster (it is one i had from long ago). The holster surely did it no favors, was not comfortable, but nobody in the store I went to seemed to notice or freak out.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

VIP Member
    Can't tell by the box of Federal (can't see the end flap), but if they are +P rated, that would explain the difference you noticed in recoil over the Blazer ammo.

Good shooting with the new gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Pro Carry is one sexy looking gun...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I like the Pro Carry It's a nice carry gun. Congrats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links