Defensive Carry banner

New Carry Revolver

5K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  1 old 0311 
#1 ·
Well I let one of these babies get away from me a few years ago and regretted it ever since. I have been looking for another Taurus 415 for quite a few years and have had no luck. Recently I was helping a buddy at the big gunshow in Houston, and while manning the booth struck up a conversation with an older gentlemen in the booth next to us. I found out that he really likes the 41 magnum caliber as much as I do. While discussing the different guns available that shoot this caliber I made mention of the Taurus 415 and how I would like to find another. He mentioned he had one. I asked if it was for sale and he said yes. So after some negotiation on the price, it showed up at my door.
I finally got a chance to take it to the range and remembered just how much I really missed the gun. I took 4 different loads to try in it but unfortunately did not have any of my pet reloads that shot so accurately in my last one.
Winchester 240gr Platinum Tips were the largest and averaged three inch groups at 15yards, Federal and Remington 215gr. shot 2.75" and 2.5" respectively....but the best of the bunch was the Hornady 210gr XTP's. They averaged 2.25". Since this gun was bought primarly as a carry weapon I only tried factory hollow point loads and I am not disappointed. I am pretty lucky since the gun fits the same holster as my 3" GP-100 so carrying it IWB is very comfortable. A little dehorning of the sharp edges and it will be good to go. Christmas came early this year, for me anyway.

See less See more
#4 ·
I am glad you found what your looking for. And , 41 mag too! The great thing about a big bore revolver, is you don't have to stress about what type of bullet you use. They spit them all out, and they are big and heavy enough that designer bullets are not necassary. Enjoy, and keep this one!

#6 ·
I had a .41 Blackhawk and loved it. Probably the best shooting revolver I've owned. Great cartridge that receives little credit and use. Perfect for hunting and packing in the woods. Not the handful teh .44 (and larger) is and more punch than the .357s. Enjoy!

#8 ·
I do like the grips on those. Got to try my brother-in-law's gun. They are a real aid to good shooting.

#14 ·
That's a nice looking pistol. I wish that Taurus would make their text as inconspicuous on all their pistols :rolleyes: The letters on my PT1911 are just sinfully ugly.

#18 ·
Cop 1,
One thing that helps is the porting, all 6 of those little holes really help to keep the muzzle down, but it is still a handfull, and I have been shooting the big boomers most of my life. The 210gr. Hornady XTP was by far the most comfortable to shoot, but I have found that with most of the XTP loadings. Quick follow up shots are possible but it will require some practice. I am currently working on the trigger, smoothness and pull. I hope to be able to put all 5 rounds in the size of a styrofoam coffee cup, as quickly as possible and reliably of course. This gun is really a sleeper that Taurus has all but done away with. I am just glad I was able to find another. Another thing I am looking at is trying a different grip to see if I can gain even more control.

Tex

#20 ·
Sweet looking gun, I hope it serves you well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.