Talk to me about the M&P 45c

This is a discussion on Talk to me about the M&P 45c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately I have found myself wanting to move back to a .45 platform. I love my Glock 26 and it will always be in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about the M&P 45c

Lately I have found myself wanting to move back to a .45 platform. I love my Glock 26 and it will always be in my collection but I have to admit, I've never felt so well armed as when I was carrying a PT145.

On my list so far is the Glock 36 (which there are already several threads running on so I won't bother saying much about it) and the M&P. The glock is a bit lighter and thinner and the M&P holds 2 more rounds. The thing that intrigues me about the M&P45c is this. It's kinda like a Glock 19 (if the G19 was a 45) with the ability to shorten the grip with the shorter mag (making it kinda like a G26 frame) but retaining a 4 inch barrel.

Over all pretty much everything I have read on the gun has been positive but I wanted to get some DC folks opinions. The one thing that does worry me a bit is the trigger. It's listed around 7 pounds which seems a tad bit heavy to me. Also, how's the recoil? I know it's a .45 but would you say that it shoots soft for a .45? Thanks for any info and opinions!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Okay, I'll try my best to talk you out of it.

I bought the M&P 45C a few months ago and my experience has been horrible. I'll break down the worst of it.

It doesn't feel like a gun in my hand. It feels more like I'm pointing my finger, like a kid on a playground. In a desperate situation, I might forget that I'm armed and think I'm just pointing my finger.

It shoots too comfortably. What's the point in having a .45 if the recoil doesn't make me flinch?

The three interchangeable backstraps give me option anxiety. Fortunately, I've settled on the medium one, so that's one less thing to worry about.

It points too naturally. This creates a risk of hitting the target the first time, thus robbing me of more practice trips to the range.

And finally, it's too reliable. I haven't had a single failure, so how exactly am I supposed to hone my tapping or jam clearing skills?

So if you really want such a hunk of junk, you're on your own.

How did I do?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    I am now on my third M&P as the .45 was the first one I ever owned. The best way to describe M&P is they are Glock reliable, but have better ergo's and a more refined fit/finish. The nice thing about getting the M&P is that you can shoot reloads without issue. Everyone on this board knows that I love Glock and M&P, but the fact is that I wont shoot reloads through my Glocks. I don't care what anyone says, I saw a kaboom first hand.

You can't go wrong either way, but I just really like the M&P's these days. In (MY) opinion the M&P is what Glock 4th gen should have been.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

So I just got back from my local gun shop because I wanted to feel both guns in my hand and all I can say is WOW!!! That M&P might be the best feeling gun I have ever held in my hand. I'm generally not big on "feel" but that thing seriously feels like it was MADE just for my hand. Also, with the small backstrap in it seems extremely thin. Maybe my hands/eyes were playing tricks on me. My only concern is it's a bit more heavy then I'm used to (My glock 26) but I'm sure I could get used to. Not to mention a bit more heft isn't so bad when shooting a larger caliber. All in all I think my mind is made up. As soon as I can sell my Colt series 80 I am picking one of these bad boys up!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Great gun! can't go wrong in the compact .45 platform.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I agree w springerxd, you'll hate it.
    I have one on the way from buds gunshop. Look up the mp pistol forum.

Trigger starts off real gritty. Smooths out real nice after break in, and gets smoother the more u shoot/dry fire.

If your still not happy w the trigger, apex tactical has been getting rave reviews from the m&p crowd.

I can't wait till mine gets here in a few days. I have the weekend off and already stocked up on ammo!

Good luck whatever 45 u choose!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Great choice the M&P is great... Springer XD your post was so funny....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Rollo,

I've followed your gun trials and tribulations for some time. I believe you put a great deal of thought in to your choices. Commendable.

The M&P is a fine firearm and if it is what you think will fill the bill for you, go for it.

BUT, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD, DON'T SELL THE COLT!

Sellers remorse will set in within 48 hours, guaranteed.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Have you considered the Glock 30sf? Also not a bad option as you can get a flush fitting mag for it making it have a very small grip. That would be 9+1. Out of the box its 10+1 and very soft shooting. I can't comment on the M&P as I haven't shot it yet, but at my next trip to the range I will try it for sure.

I switched from the 26 to the 30sf and have to say while it is heavier and a bit wider, it is every bit as easy for me to conceal. Size wise it is like a thicker 36 with more capacity. I have crazy small hands and have no problems gripping it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Rollo,

I've followed your gun trials and tribulations for some time. I believe you put a great deal of thought in to your choices. Commendable.

The M&P is a fine firearm and if it is what you think will fill the bill for you, go for it.

Well, I'm not picking the M&P up as a replacement so much as a addition. I still love my glock 26 but sometimes I feel like I want to be carrying a .45 The M&P will give me that option. This also might have something to do with the onset of cooler weather here in Indiana :) On days where I want something a bit smaller or lighter the good ol Glock 26 will come out.

As far as the Colt goes... I just don't know. I pride myself on not owning guns I don't "need" or that don't really serve a purpose. I guess what I mean is I don't have 25 guns sitting in a safe that get shot once a year. Every gun I own serves a purpose. Right now the 1911 doesn't really fill a role for me. My glock 26 is my night stand gun. It would probably be replaced on night stand duty by the M&P. My LCP is my pocket/man purse gun. My shotgun is well... my shotgun. My AR is my SHTF/Fun gun. My 1911 is....umm..... It seems like if I could get rid of that and roll that money into something that would get some use it would be a good thing.

Also, for me owning 2 .45's wouldn't make sense. If I had a M&P45c I wouldn't see the point in wasting ammo shooting the 1911. I would much rather put those rounds through a gun that if ever needed would be the one to see action. I'm more of a utilitarian gun owner then a "For the love of guns" gun owner. Don't get me wrong. I love guns and I love shooting I just prefer to put the most rounds through gun's that I may call on to defend my life. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't really own any range toys if that makes sense.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Okay, I'll try my best to talk you out of it.

I bought the M&P 45C a few months ago and my experience has been horrible. I'll break down the worst of it.

It doesn't feel like a gun in my hand. It feels more like I'm pointing my finger, like a kid on a playground. In a desperate situation, I might forget that I'm armed and think I'm just pointing my finger.

It shoots too comfortably. What's the point in having a .45 if the recoil doesn't make me flinch?

The three interchangeable backstraps give me option anxiety. Fortunately, I've settled on the medium one, so that's one less thing to worry about.

It points too naturally. This creates a risk of hitting the target the first time, thus robbing me of more practice trips to the range.

And finally, it's too reliable. I haven't had a single failure, so how exactly am I supposed to hone my tapping or jam clearing skills?

So if you really want such a hunk of junk, you're on your own.

How did I do?
    Springer good job that was hilarious!!!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Does anyone know if the you can use the full size M&P 45 mags in the 45c?

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Spec;1781035]Great choice the M&P is great... Springer XD your post was so funny....[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Rollo,

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

To both above, especially in bold
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Does anyone know if the you can use the full size M&P 45 mags in the 45c?
    As far as I know, all of the full length mags work in the compacts.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    As far as I know, all of the full length mags work in the compacts.
    yes you can.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links