Are Bersa firearms any good?

This is a discussion on Are Bersa firearms any good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact and it is awesome. Great value, durable, reliable...Bersa is under-rated, the best kept secret in handguns. I've ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Are Bersa firearms any good?

I have a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact and it is awesome. Great value, durable, reliable...Bersa is under-rated, the best kept secret in handguns. I've shot my buddy's .380 and it is a smooth and accurate shooter. Mine is basically the 9mm version.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

It's funny how new handguns and technology changes so fast in this industry.

I remember waaay back in '06 the Bersa .380 was one of the HOTtest handguns out there and the positive feedback on this great site convinced me to buy one.

I own the stainless CC model and it's been a flawless shooter. Can't beat the price or quality (especially compared to the similiar Wather PPK model, which I did at the time.).
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well, I think you have your answer. My first auto was a Bersa .380. It's accurate and mine never malfunctioned with anything at anytime. The safety was really stiff on it but I didn't use it for CCW and if I had, I would have carried it with the safety off. I sold mine to fund another gun when I decided to only use .380 in a pocket carry gun. If .380 was a bit cheaper that's the gun I'd buy again. I think it's one of the best values out there in a hand gun.

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    My wife's is a dream. Great little gun.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    This question gets asked every other week it seems.............here is the definitive answer
    ........while not as nicely finished and as refined overall as some of the higher end handgun manufacturers offerings, the Bersa firearms are solid and reliable handguns and one of if not the best values on the market.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I was interested in the Thunder Plus a while back ( the 13-rd cap got my interest) but eventually decided against it when I realized that model was larger than what I wanted.

I did a lot of research on reviews and found that while reviews were generally positive, there were quite a few that had issues, primarily in FTFs and spring problems. I will point out that several mentioned a guy in Colorado (I think) that seemed to be the Grand Guru of Bersas and had the knack for making them run like fine Swiss watches.

All in all, I don't think the negative reviews would have detered me from buying one, the size and weight simply weren't what I wanted. In the end, I dropped a couple hundred on a CZ-82, which is approximately the same size and weight as the Thunder Plus. I made a project gun of it (stripped, DuraCoated, new grips, etc.), something I would not have done with a new Bersa.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Dont let any negative reviews deterr you from buying a Bersa. Any Bersa is a great gun. My first one was a Thunder .380 and it is my preferred carry firearm when Im running out and about in my home town. I also have a Bersa UC Pro 9mm and that has also turned out to be a great gun. Its a little bulky though but overall a very good pistol. On both my Bersas, I have put in hundreds even thousands of rounds without a hickup. I have been told that I will eventually need to swap out the springs but I have yet to see the springs get flimsy or soft. As others have stated, they are not the best well finished or refined firearm you will ever buy but you will certainly see that they are well made and extremely reliable. Also....they are cheap and that is a GREAT plus.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've had a 383-a for almost twenty years. I've shot 1000's of rounds through it without a hitch.

It's true a Bersa is NOT a pocket pistol. But, if you want an extremely accurate and reliable CC weapon, the Bersa can't be beat!

Twenty years to thirty years ago Bersa was a joke and not a serious defensive gun. Kinda like a Lorcin or Davis. But they have come a long, long way in that amount of time. They are decent quality and very dependable. I have a Thunder 380 acp two tone, but I never have taken time to shoot it. If any one is in NC and wants a dual tone Bersa give me a hollar.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    My wife's is a dream. Great little gun.
    Ditto! My wife's is the Duo-Tone with C/T laser grips. Great little gun. It has been reliable EXCEPT when fed "MFS" ammo, made in Hungary! To be fair to the Bersa, however, I also tried a box of 9mm ammo from MFS in both of my 9mm's ( Kel Tec PF9 and Ruger P95 ) and had the same malfunction: FTE's, so it was the ammo, not our guns! I would like to get a Bersa 380 in nickel, myself, but a Kel Tec P3AT is 1st on my wish list because it is smaller and more concealable that the Bersa, which is slightly larger than my PF9. The Bersa kicks less and I like the C/T laser grips better than the C/T trigger guard laser on the PF9.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Twenty years to thirty years ago Bersa was a joke and not a serious defensive gun. Kinda like a Lorcin or Davis. But they have come a long, long way in that amount of time. They are decent quality and very dependable. I have a Thunder 380 acp two tone, but I never have taken time to shoot it. If any one is in NC and wants a dual tone Bersa give me a hollar.
    I don't know if you were addressing my post are not.

But, my 383a is a serious SD firearm. It has proven itself TWICE in the time I have had it. It saved my butt once in Larado, TX and kept my wife from getting abducted and worse.

However, I like the increased options available in the new Bersa models.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I don't know if you were addressing my post are not.

But, my 383a is a serious SD firearm. It has proven itself TWICE in the time I have had it. It saved my butt once in Larado, TX and kept my wife from getting abducted and worse.

However, I like the increased options available in the new Bersa models.
    I don't why you would take anything I said as being " towards you " or in a negative about the Bersa Firearm itself????? They use to be conidered a piece of junk and nobody that was serious about defending themselves would ever think of carrying one. Just as if someone came on this forum asking about a Lorcin semi auto. Bersa had a long way to go to over come their negative past. They could have taken the easy road and started a fresh company, but they didn't they earned it. They have now proved to be a decent reliable gun for the new shooter, or someone sensitive to recoil. Like I said I have one myself that I got in a trade a couple years ago. If it was a piece of junk it would have never of stayed in my safe for that long. I have been around firearms my entire life. In this amount of time you see a lot of things come and go. But Bersa is ok in my book. I hope this addresses my position a little further. This isn't directed at anyone. It is my opinion of this firearm and a bit of past history to go with it.
    Later
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have a Bersa Thunder .45 its been flawless! No problems at all, and the price is reasonable.

I have a Bersa Firestorm 22 I bought for putting holes in paper. Gun works great, a little picky on ammo. Occasionally stovepipes rounds, but on the range I really don't care about that.

Carry T9UC every day, had the Thunder .380 and am looking to pick up a T45UC.

Just wish some of my other guns have been as dependable out of the box.

Oh the matte black finish leaves a lot to be desired on the 9mm and .45, nickle and duo tones are very nice though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links