Smith and wesson 351PD - Page 2

Smith and wesson 351PD

This is a discussion on Smith and wesson 351PD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The man asked what we thought about his revolver, and suggestions for a good load, not what anyone thought of the caliber. I think it's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Smith and wesson 351PD

The man asked what we thought about his revolver, and suggestions for a good load, not what anyone thought of the caliber. I think it's a very appealing revolver, and would be proud to own one. I

if, he is confident enough in his ability to use it for defense, I am not going to second guess him. What some people need a 45 to do, others can do it with a 22. Some couldn't do it with an m60. Is everyone such a commando that they can't be happy for the man and acknowledge his new gun without throwing in their super- ninja hype and critisim? How many have shot someone with a 22 mag? Hell, how many have shot anything at all? But some are so confident that they know a 22 mag is inferior. I say if he does his job, it will be just fine. There is toomuch fantasizing about drug crazed killers who can't be stopped. The reality is you are dealing with a 2 bit, unhealthy coward looking for an easy score. So to the op, I like it! I would buy the heaviest bullet, and practice, practice. Learn to alternate head and body shots. If you can put onein the face, a couple in the chest, and maybe one in the testicles, I doubt any attacker will persevere.

When you ask for opinions, you're casting a wide net. Just filter through it and gleen what is useful. Shot placement is king and your ability with whatever weapon you choose is the most important factor. Make informed and educated decisions for what works for you. I still like it!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I've got one too..........don't ever shoot it next to a building without hearing protection.........ouchy.....unless you really have too......
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I have to admit I have one and love it, it is so lite it feels like a toy. And it groups pretty good too.
    I like the cci 40 grainers. I also have the 360PD. The super light smith j frames are addictive.
    Shot placement will be the factor. I will never sell mine.

+1 to what Gman10 said.
    I used a .22 Mag on jacks and coyotes at one time. With practice, the mild recoil should allow very fast accurate shot strings. Would I pick it for SD? That's not what you asked, so I won't answer.

A pic of this gun needs to be added to the Super Duper Snubbie Thread.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The man asked what we thought about his revolver, and suggestions for a good load, not what anyone thought of the caliber. I think it's a very appealing revolver, and would be proud to own one. I

if, he is confident enough in his ability to use it for defense, I am not going to second guess him. What some people need a 45 to do, others can do it with a 22. Some couldn't do it with an m60. Is everyone such a commando that they can't be happy for the man and acknowledge his new gun without throwing in their super- ninja hype and critisim? How many have shot someone with a 22 mag? Hell, how many have shot anything at all? But some are so confident that they know a 22 mag is inferior. I say if he does his job, it will be just fine. There is toomuch fantasizing about drug crazed killers who can't be stopped. The reality is you are dealing with a 2 bit, unhealthy coward looking for an easy score. So to the op, I like it! I would buy the heaviest bullet, and practice, practice. Learn to alternate head and body shots. If you can put onein the face, a couple in the chest, and maybe one in the testicles, I doubt any attacker will persevere.
    Agreed. But when everyone started chiming in about what it would do to a deer and how it would kill a human, yadda yadda. These things are all true, but I just thought that the OP should know what his gun is capable of. I didn't want him thinking that he had a wonderful manstopper in his hands. A man should know the limitations of what he is carrying.

I said in my orignal post, if that is what you want to carry, have at it. Just take head shots if you wanna stop the threat. I'm not looking to start a .22mag debate, just looking to give the OP good info.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I don't think that anyone is against honest cautions given in a constructive manner, which are most.

True Guantes. True. I just like to encourage people. I know how it feels as I'm sure you do how proud we can be when we obtain something we really like. For all anybody really knows it may be for a BUG, or for a lady in his life. Sorry if I came off hard.

Thanks all for the kind words and input, I know there is no magic caliber ok maybe except for a .50 cal, kidding aside this will be part of my CCW "options". Using the DA will take a lot of practice to get a decent groupings but on the other hand the SA is very nice and I mean nice! I can put 7 shots at 7yds center mass with no problems.I agree practice and more practice is needed but man this thing is so light and a ton of fun to shoot! and yes it is LOUD too!!

speed loaders= yes

Quote Originally Posted by RobO9mm View Post
    If this is accurate , I could be tempted to try one... I do like the 7 rounds in the cylinder! But, does anyone make a speed loader for a 22 mag J frame? However, I think I'll stick with my 9mm's and 380's...
    Yes speed loader are available and the little tuff quick strips are handy too.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Federal 50 grain. I wouldn't want to get hit by one, and actually think it would be a pretty cool carry piece. It is a very destrctive round with killing power way beyond it's size.
    ^^^^^^ what he said. I cant believe how many posts were prior to Glockman that did not anwer your question. I have looked at this gun myself, and think it would make an excellent carry piece. Minimum caliber is always argued here, with no true answers other than what you are satisfied with. Solid lead bullets would be my preference, as penetration is not what you get from a 10mm round. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by vikz View Post
    Thanks all for the kind words and input, I know there is no magic caliber ok maybe except for a .50 cal, kidding aside this will be part of my CCW "options". Using the DA will take a lot of practice to get a decent groupings but on the other hand the SA is very nice and I mean nice! I can put 7 shots at 7yds center mass with no problems.I agree practice and more practice is needed but man this thing is so light and a ton of fun to shoot! and yes it is LOUD too!!
    Use hearing protection even with 22 caliber... out of a snub, even outdoors, will have your ears ringing for hours. Practice what you carry, and then practice some more. Good luck.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "

woops, just noticed this is a two year old thread... hope the OP is still here. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

I use to carry Maxi Mags in mine.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links