Smith and wesson 351PD - Page 3

Smith and wesson 351PD

This is a discussion on Smith and wesson 351PD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize how old this thread is but I would like to provide some insight to the next person who needs it. I got sick ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Smith and wesson 351PD

what to carry

I realize how old this thread is but I would like to provide some insight to the next person who needs it. I got sick of the constant belittling of the 22 Magnum cartridge and the lack of intelligent and unbiased information so I decided to do some testing at home. I'm still in the early stages but here's what I have so far. All rounds were fired into a 33 gallon test barrel and recovered. I don't have a chronograph or gel yet but give me time.photo.jpg

By the way this was point blank and the test gun was a 351pd.

I bought the federal 50 grainers. That is what the slaughter guys use to kill cows and pigs. It looks like in the test by model60pro, zero expansion for the federals.
    My only knock with the 351 PD is the very stiff DA trigger. It takes a lot of practice to stay accurate.
    The 351PD is light weight and extremely easy/comfortable to carry.
    NRA Life Member

In my opinion (which I know is not worth dirt) the best caliber to use is what you are most accurate with when I comes to self defense. This application is usually up close. A 22 mag will defiantly penetrate. I would take a well place 22 mag head shot over a 9mm shoulder hit. The same is true for the discussions that tend to knock a 380 in favor of a 9, 40, 45 and so on. I base these comments on my experience from actual events. That being said, I think the low limit is 22 mag.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I will be the first to admit the DA pull is insane, but I love my little 351, I never (LITERALLY) leave home without it. Taking out the trash in pajamas you betcha, she's in my pocket. I carry the critical defense in mine. I've worked in an animal hospital for well over a decade and this year I made the switch to a level 1 trauma center. I've been in the ER and OR for hundreds of gun shot wounds now and the nastiest ones tend to be caused by shrapnel like shards whizzing in all directions, especially in the gut. I carry a model 60 pro (hence the name) full of 357 gold dots too. It stays by my side 90% of the time but my 351 is my constant companion. I wanted to get an idea of how these rounds acted in such short barrels. As I come across more loads I will do the same and try to post them here for everyone to use.

I bought my 351PD new locally 1/5/13. I shot it 1/6 - found that the extractor star would skip two rounds, fired or not. S&W sent a prepaid label - they got it 1/15; I had it back 1/25 - in perfect shape and with a new cylinder and extractor. I've shot ~150 CCI MaxiMags and a box (50) of Hornady 45gr FTX 'Critical Defense' rounds since then - fun, accurate, and easy follow-ups as well as loud and flashy. Carries perfectly in my Mika pocket holster made for my 642 - and the hammer clears my cargo pants pocket easily without a snag. I can keep seven shots on a paper dinner plate when rapidly fired from 3-7 yd. The DA trigger is as good or better than my resprung & smoothed 4" 651. It just feels funky because the gun is so lite, making you want to push rounds to hit to the left or pull them to hit to the right, depending on your finger placement. Practice - and proper finger pad placement and movement - makes the little loud-shooter fairly accurate, too.

Stainz

VIP Member
    The 22 mag isnt my first choice but it beats throwing sticks. Pick the heaviest bullet you can find. Winchester makes a PDX-1 22 mag round for self defense. I have shot it and it makes quite the impression. We were shooting pumpkins, and they made a heck of an exit hole. I think they would do well in your revolver. Also there are several good reviews of the PDX-1 ammo.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Speed Loader

Quote Originally Posted by RobO9mm View Post
    If this is accurate , I could be tempted to try one... I do like the 7 rounds in the cylinder! But, does anyone make a speed loader for a 22 mag J frame? However, I think I'll stick with my 9mm's and 380's...
    I have one of these. Great gun and very accurate. With Hornady Critical Defense rounds I feel comfortable with it for carry. There are definitely speed loaders made by Speedbeez. You can also get blocks with multiple seven round loads which can be loaded one after another. Amazon.com : 351 Speed Loader 7 Shot Magnum : Gun Magazine Loaders : Sports & Outdoors

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    This is the thread that never dies...
    Every year it comes back to life...

Some people started posting here
    Not knowing how old it was

And they'll just keep on posting here
    Forever just because

This is the thread that never dies...

Back on topic, it's interesting that in the years since this thread was originally started, we now have at least three dedicated self-defense loads for the .22 WMR. If the OP is still around, still has the gun, and still hasn't decided, Speer, Winchester, and Hornaday now all offer dedicated high-quality self-defense ammo in .22 WMR with Gold Dot, PDX, and FTX bullets.

I personally would love to have a S&W 351C for a taking-out-the-garbage-in-my-bathrobe gun or as a backup gun.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Yes YES! Only knock from me is that rimfires require stiffer hammer springs so it'll never be as smooth & easy as the same gun in a center fire. As for effectiveness, no less than the legendary Bill Jordan was an advocate of a .22 Magnum revolver BUG.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    Had one and sold it because the trigger was too heavy for my taste. I have shot snub nose guns for 45 years and got used to all kinds of triggers, but this has to be the worse I ever ran across. Sold the sucker and bought a Scandium J-Frame that weighs 11 oz. and it feels the same in my pocket but allows me to carry up to a .357 magnum if I want to.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

I have one just like it, and I love it. And, yes, you can use it for defense. You just have to aim well. A 22 will kill someone just as dead as a .357 or a .45.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links