Smith and wesson 351PD

Smith and wesson 351PD

This is a discussion on Smith and wesson 351PD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello folks! just wanted to get some 1st hand opinion on my latest acquistion,S&W 351PD 22mag. any recommendation on what ammo I should use for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Smith and wesson 351PD

Smith and wesson 351PD

Hello folks! just wanted to get some 1st hand opinion on my latest acquistion,S&W 351PD 22mag. any recommendation on what ammo I should use for CCW??.I tried it today and I was very impress with the accuracy, the DA is acceptable and the SA is ammazingly light. here it is..

ccman likes this.

Nice gun! But ummm... 22 Mag for defense???

My gut reaction is to go for solids with any rimfire... and keep shooting.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That's a really nice gun and I bet it is really fun to shoot...I would recommend at least a .38 for CCW and use this one to hone in your snubnosed double action trigger pull and accuracy. I agree with smitty, if you are going to carry it, get a heavy solid bullet with the hottest load. I really like it though!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

22 mag for Self defense?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Well...it would not be my first choice by a long shot for a primary CCW. However, as I worked homicide investigations along side LEO for several years, I can say just in the small State of WV that there have been more killing done with a .22, 25, or .380 caliber hand("mouse")gun then probably any others out there. The statistics in other areas I'm sure exponentially back this up. I personally consider .380 the bottom of the chain in defensive calibers and marginally acceptable at best. I will carry 9mm and up. If that works for the OP then so be it. Congrats on the nice pick up
    ejes likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sharp lookin' revolver! Congrats. I would use it for plinking. It is better to have that than a rock, but in the same size package you could have a .38 +p load. I never carry less than .38 or 9mm as a primary for SD.

But if that is what you choose to do, have at it. If you want to stop the threat quickly, you may have to take head shots.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Federal 50 grain. I wouldn't want to get hit by one, and actually think it would be a pretty cool carry piece. It is a very destrctive round with killing power way beyond it's size.

A .22 magnum will drop a deer....it will drop a man.
    ejes likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I like it.. no comment on the caliber you chose to carry for S/D... but I agree with the posts about getting the hottest, fastest load you can find.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Beautiful snubbie! I like the grips, and the capacity. My carry snubbie is probable the same dimensions as yours externally, except mine holds 5 shots of .38SPL+P. (Also, cool mini stickers of guns on your laptop under the keyboard, lol.)

I would have concerns about carrying a .22mag. as well. Its your choice , and even a .22 is ALOT better than throwing rocks. I'm sure , given proper shot placement, a .22 could easily kill a man. I think of a thread I saw a while back on here, about an episode of the TV show COPS, the BG broke into a home the GG shot him close-range with a Keltec .380ACP, the BG left and the LEOs found him walking down the street away from the home he broke into. While the .380 round did NOT kill the BG , or even stop him from potentially still fighting, it did STOP THE THREAT. Which is ultimately the goal, right? I'm always concerned about drugged up BGs, someone who is drugged up might not feel the pain of being shot, so in an extreme case scenario, in order to stop the threat, they might HAVE to be killed.

I finally broke down after years of .380ACP EDC, and "upgraded" to .38SP+P, I couldn't help but keep thinking of wanting more stopping power.

OMHO // YMMV

Very nice looking gun. I would get into the habit of and practice mulitple rapid shots with such a caliber. A good idea with any caliber, but particularly one this diminutive.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    A .22 magnum will drop a deer....it will drop a man.
    If this is accurate , I could be tempted to try one... I do like the 7 rounds in the cylinder! But, does anyone make a speed loader for a 22 mag J frame? However, I think I'll stick with my 9mm's and 380's...

some interesting results from remington.. http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/wmr_072804/

Yes, I would not want to be hit by one. Yes, it will kill a man and yes it will drop a deer. That being said, will it effectively stop a threat in time to save your own life? If a man is charging me with a knife, I want to hit him with at least a .38 or 9. And that may not work either. I'm still looking for accurate hits and moving myself off line.

A .22 mag will kill a man. But it may be several minutes later, not in enough time to stop the threat (most of the time). Using a larger self defense load increases your chance of survival.

For those of you that feel that a .22 mag is a good manstopper, good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links