PT145 Range Report (and Pics!)

This is a discussion on PT145 Range Report (and Pics!) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I picked up my new gun, a Taurus PT145, .45 ACP compact pistol. I went out to the property of a family friend to ...

Thread: PT145 Range Report (and Pics!)

Today I picked up my new gun, a Taurus PT145, .45 ACP compact pistol. I went out to the property of a family friend to put some rounds through it. There really isn't much to report. I neglected to bring a proper target so I was just shooting at a bowling pin. The weapon preformed flawlessly until it started to get dirty, I had one Failure to Feed at about the 145 round mark. I suspect this was a mag issue as the round failed to pop up enough to get stripped off the mag and into the chamber.

I did slow fire, rapid fire, reload drills, draws from the holster (slow, not used to this gun yet so i need to do dry fire holster drills) and fired a mag from the retention position.

<strike>I'm impressed so far, the recoil was very managable. The sights (Heinie 8's) while not something I was used to are easy enough to adapt to.</strike>

Never noticed so much muzzle blast on my full sized Beretta 9mm, must be a combo of the larger .45 round and the shorter barrel that caused this.

Last edited by Laser Sailor; October 12th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

drw
    I hope you like your 145 as much as I like mine. I did some low light practice with it a couple of weeks ago. Wow that was pretty good muzzle flash.

I ended up selling my PT145 because of feeding issues relating to the mags but when that thing ran it was a fantastic gun. I never thought I could be accurate rapid fire with a .45 until I shot my 145. I could bury string and after string in the 9 ring with ease.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Congrats on your new firearm!!! I'm really becoming a fan of .45ACP and that's a great carry size and capacity. I've been looking at the 145 and the similar sized 24/7 at my local gun shop and they're both really nice. What brand and type of ammo were you using? WWB seems to dirty up handguns in a hurry, and that might be causing the residue on the muzzle if that's what you're using. Just a thought.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

SHHHHHHHHHH darnit you need to say how bad they are so we can keep the prices down...jeeesh bet you don't even know the secret hand shake

Ahem, however being as it IS a Taurus, I do expect to experence problems in the future from this subpar piece of tupperware and really only bought it because I needed a new paperweight. (My Glock was getting kinda worn out).
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Ahem, however being as it IS a Taurus, I do expect to experence problems in the future from this subpar piece of tupperware and really only bought it because I needed a new paperweight. (My Glock was getting kinda worn out).
    Outstanding!!!

@BugDude, I was shooting Remington UMC which i suppose is not high quality ammo. I also shot up a mag of my carry ammo Speer Gold Dot -230 gr JHP, it fed well.

Now I have a question, supposedly I'll get 950-980 fps out of the gold dot, is that sufficent for proper expansion? Or should I try a lighter bullet for the shorter barrel?
    MA2, USN

-- Robert A. Heinlein.

I load out with Hydra Shok +p 230's in my 145. YMMV

Hmmm. My only Taurus is a 709 9mm and I've had no issues through 1200 rounds but I have read many had issues with WWB because it is a dirty firing target round. Just wondered if it was applicable to other models. My only experience with .45ACP is a 5"bbl RIA 1911. I'm carrying Remington 230gr JHPs. If the HP gets clogged and doesn't expand, it's still .45ACP. I'm less concerned with expansion in this round than others I have carried.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I beat the heck out of one for a while and sold it. It ran fine. But I got bored with it.
    I'm your Huckleberry.

Sponsored Links