Glock22 Gen4 Mag Loader Question

This is a discussion on Glock22 Gen4 Mag Loader Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a new Glock22 gen4, it came with 3 magzines and a mag loader. I must not have been using the right technique ...

I just purchased a new Glock22 gen4, it came with 3 magzines and a mag loader. I must not have been using the right technique but I found it easier to load the mags by hand without using the mag loader. Can anybody help me with this please because I believe I just need to use the right technique. Thanx.

Honestly, I dislike the Glock mag loader because I also find it difficult to use. Look into the mag loader from UpLula and you won't be sorry. I've been using one for a couple of years now. Everyone who tries it at the range fall in love with it and purchase thier own!

Truth be known, I prefer to load my magazines by thumb as opposed to the Glock OEM loader. Especially in the large frames.
    The Glock OEM mag loader tool takes some getting used to since it's static. You need to get a rhythm down. One of the best magazine loading tools I've used is the Uplula loader. http://maglula.tripod.com/uplula.htm
    I still use my thumb for the quick reloads in competition though. The Glock OEM loaders are real good for the sub-compacts and getting the last round into the magazine. Sure beats taking some skin off and bleeding. Been there without my OEM mag loader tool before.

Thanx for the replies everyone.

You just have to get used to the technique. Look inside the mag loader, you see the post that pushes down the top cartridge, making room for the next cartridge? It won't let you fully insert the new cartridge, obviously, because it's pressing down on the one below it. So here's how it goes:

1. Press down firmly on the loader, notice how it pushes the top cartridge down, making just enough room for the new cartridge.
    2. Lightly place the new cartridge in the top of the mag, it should slide back under the metal lips slightly, and come to rest against the plastic post of the loader.
    3. Slowly start to lift the loader, while gently pressing the new cartridge towards it's "home" position. Once the loader lifts far enough (i.e. the post raises high enough to clear the new round), the round should slide home.

Once you find the rythm, you can go pretty fast. I ususally just use it for the last couple rounds, which I sometimes find difficult to "thumb" in, especially after an extended shooting session.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^ What he said. It works fine.

With my G30 mags, now that they are "seasoned," I can easily load the first 6-7 by hand and only use the loader for the final few as the springs stiffens. But if you want to drop $25-30 for the Uplula, go for it. It's a nice loader, but my loader works and I can use the money eslewhere.

You might also fully load the mags and leave them that way for a few days. It loosens up the spring and allows the last couple of rounds to load easier.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links