XD .40 subcompact for CCW?

This is a discussion on XD .40 subcompact for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey y'all, looking for some info and or feedback on the XD .40 subcompact for CCW. I now love and carry a glock 19,very reliable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD .40 subcompact for CCW?

Question XD .40 subcompact for CCW?

Hey y'all, looking for some info and or feedback on the XD .40 subcompact for CCW.
    I now love and carry a glock 19,very reliable easy breakdown,clean and conceals well.
    But now I am interested in getting a .40 CCW and have been looking at the XD. Seems
    to have a little more room in the grip than the G27. Any help on this subject would be much
    appreciated from all! Thanks!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well I can't compare the two specifically since I don't own a G27 but I CC an XD .40sc almost every time I leave the house and I've been nothing but happy with it. It shoots well, eats every bullet I have put through it and has yet to have any sort of failure at all. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here! It conceals pretty well especially with the short mag. I usually carry IWB but once it gets colder and I'm wearing outerwear, I'll usually switch to OWB and it still stays pretty well hidden; although I am sure that is as much about the choice of holster as it is about the firearm itself. I carry mine in a PK BlackOps Pro, for the record.

I have one and its a reliable gun I'll give it that but I never carry it. The XD is a brick (so is the glock in my opinion) I feel much more comfortable with a single stack 1911 but thats just me. Take down is easy as a glock, it goes bang everytime but I just can't put a gun that fat in my waistband but if you don't have that issue its a great firearm.

I carry an XD as my EDC. Very reliable and shoots very straight. No issues EVER.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

I have the XD30SC. I LOVE this gun. Hands down, couldn't/wouldn't want to change a THING about it. No complaints. HOWEVER, *I* do have a more difficult time CCing it. But I think that has more to do that I'm a short-chick with not that many places to hide it. Lol That being said, if you CC the g19, I don't see you having a problem with the XD40SC. Keep in mind its a bit heavier, but it's nice having the extended mag/short mag option. Again, I love the gun, never had a problem with it just like everyone else has said. Will eat any bullet you feed it, and take down is easy as 1,2,3.

http://www.azccw.com/Springfield%20XD.htm
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    I have one and its a reliable gun I'll give it that but I never carry it. The XD is a brick (so is the glock in my opinion) I feel much more comfortable with a single stack 1911 but thats just me. Take down is easy as a glock, it goes bang everytime but I just can't put a gun that fat in my waistband but if you don't have that issue its a great firearm.
    I too, have an XD40SC. Great weapon, stone reliable, fun shooter. I also agree with LoadedPipes though, its a brick TO ME. LOTS and LOTS of people easily conceal them with no problem, and theres plenty of holsters available. I honestly think I don't carry it too often, just b/c pocket carry is dang easy with a smaller weapon. I've been thinking of trying to carry it more often, and see if I can get more comfortable with it. (I'm currently recovering from knee surgery, so I'm not currently really going anywhere, unfortunately.)

When I was looking for a sub-compact I looked at both the 27 and the XD. I bought the 27. The XD was just to chunky and was almost as big as my G23. Ive been very happy with my G27. If I were you I would get a Glock 26 to go with my G19. Then you could use all the same mags.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I have a XD40sc. I love it. Great fit and feel (much better for me than the Glocks). VERY accurate, reliable. I conceal mine easily IWB. You'll love it.

PS. The G23 is the same size as the 19 but .40. You could use the same holsters.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

bikerboy wrote:
    But now I am interested in getting a .40 CCW and have been looking at the XD. Seems
    to have a little more room in the grip than the G27.
    I can see that the XD40 has a bit more room in the grip.

I use a couple of options on my G27 to compensate for that.
    Please note the pix below.
    One is a the G23 mag with sleeve. Plenty of room for grip. Makes it 13+1.
    The other is a stock G27 mag with a +2 extender. Room for a full grip. Makes 11+1

I mostly use the smaller mag. Fits my hand perfectly. But, at times have carried the larger when a spare isn't practical or stealthy enough.

G23 mag w/ sleeve

G27 mag w/ +2 ext

Anyway, hope this helps....works for me.

There ya go........
    Last edited by skyman; October 13th, 2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: quote

My EDC is the SA XD40 SC, I love it, only problem I've had was a faulty mag spring which SA replaced free of charge. I also have the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro and have no problem concealing with a tee shirt in the spring and summer, fall and winter are no problem at all.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a XD40sc. I love it. Great fit and feel (much better for me than the Glocks). VERY accurate, reliable. I conceal mine easily IWB. You'll love it.

PS. The G23 is the same size as the 19 but .40. You could use the same holsters.
    I have a great holster Bugdude a sient thunder for the G19, best holster IWB EVER!!!
    It will fit a G23, NICE! If I were to get the XD I would buy the same holster,can't say enough about it!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I would get a Glock before I got a XD.. I don't care for the grip safety or the weight of this gun. My friend has a XD-sub 9mm and it weights more unloaded than a Glock 19 fully loaded.

Personally If I were you I would go and Shoot a M&P40 compact, a Glock 27 and the XD40sc and see what you like best. The M&P has better ergonomics than the Glock and XD and many people will agree with me. the only thing the Glock has on the M&P is 16 years (roughly) of use.

I have 2000+ rounds through my M&P40 and it always goes bang.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

mkh
    I carried the XD-40SC for over a year. I still have it and love it but now I carry a Glock 21sf. I disagree with those that called the XD a brick. It is a very easy gun to conceal and it handles every thing I fed it.

I bought an XD40SC for a cc piece, and never carried it once. It shot fine, was dead reliable, accurate, pointed well-but it was such a chunk. I never could figure out a way to carry it, so we parted ways. I found it much easier to carry a Gov't 1911.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have both the Glock 19 and the XD 40 Subcompact. Both my dad and I are more accurate with the XD than any other gun we own. I usually carry the Glock just because I like having 16 rounds as opposed to 10 but the XD is a great gun.

As for concealing it, I don't think you'll have a problem at all. The XD is no harder to conceal than then Glock, maybe even a little easier. I should also mention that you are right about the grip. It is definitely easier to hold and shoot than the Glock 27. I know because my dad had a G27 and we sold it.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links