Purchased New Ruger LCR for Carry!

This is a discussion on Purchased New Ruger LCR for Carry! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After struggling with some reliability issues with small autos I changed direction. Much research and debate led to the recent purchase of a Ruger LCR ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchased New Ruger LCR for Carry!

After struggling with some reliability issues with small autos I changed direction. Much research and debate led to the recent purchase of a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace laser grips chambered in .38 SP. Paid $599 new...fair enough deal in my book.

It took me a box of ammo to get the CT sighted in where it works for my purposes. The little wheel gun packs a punch, but is manageable. This is my first experience with a laser grip and, I have to say, after shooting with it from
    various stages of drawing, I am a believer. It allows one to keep their eyes focused on the threat. Shots were easily placed COM and COH (center of head) without much time taken to aim or even steady the dot at distances between 7 and 21 feet. I am not sure at what distance the point of aim would begin to fall off, but was not too concerned about it for this range visit.

The best part about the LCR is that it went BANG with each pull of the (very smooth....) trigger. I have not had this confidence in the past with the majority of my small autos. For that reason the LCR is going to be my main carry. I realize what I give up here....quick mag reloads and capacity. But I gain confidence, .38 SP delivers adequate energy IMO, a light gun that I can carry everyday, and my need is for a reliable firearm to ward off an attacker and GET OUT OF DODGE (if I knew I were going into a firefight I would bring a full sized glock...).

I am now on a holster hunt, but pretty sure I am going with FIST #1AK and a nemesis. I have had good luck with both of these in the past.

If anybody has any LCR questions feel free to ask!
    Attached Images
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Nice! Congratulations and nice pics.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nice. I'm glad you're pleased with it. I have a natural distrust of all things electronic, which always seem to fail me, but if it works for you, good for yah. Nothing wrong with a .38!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I LOVE my 38spl Ruger. I have a pocket holster for it and it fits very nicely in either shorts or dress slacks.

Congrats, be safe out there very nice firearm.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have one as well and love it. I was in the same boat as you, I had a Sig p238 that I absolutely adored. Unfortunately it just wasn't as reliable as I'd hoped. Switched to the LCR and I'm not looking back. I am however going to get the LCR in the .357 soon.

Enjoy

The snub 38 is about as versatile a concealed carry weapon as you can get. The LCR is an impressive package, and you got a good price for having CT Grips. Congrats on your new snub...you'll love it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Congrats! I have one in each caliber! How many rounds do you have through your LCR now?

GM
    Nice! Congrats and enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Very nice. Glad you like it.
    I am currently in the market for a pistol for my wife. The LCR and the S & W 642 are on my short list.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Nice pics - congrats!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I'm breaking down, will have one soon.

Good choice. I just picked up one last week myself. The trigger is really better than most any factory trigger I've seen. That's saying a lot, but I've handled plenty of revolvers in my time, even though I opted for the autos when it came time to purchase. They really are nice shooters, and it's easy to forget ya have it on it's so light. From the looks of that cylinder, you've worked in some serious range time already.

Congrats on a fine .38 revolver....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

Contact Michael at HIGH NOON for great LCR holsters.

They now have them for the CT equipped LCRs.

Mention me.

KEV

questions@highnoonholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    After struggling with some reliability issues with small autos I changed direction. Much research and debate led to the recent purchase of a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace laser grips
    I am not sure at what distance the point of aim would begin to fall off, but was not too concerned about it for this range visit.
    I have a suggestion you may want to consider;

The center of the laser is about 1.5 inches lower and .75 inches to the right of the Center of the barrel (you can measure it exactly if you think you might want to try this... but I'll use those general numbers for illustration). If you adjust the dot to appear 1.5 inches low and .75 inches right of the POI, what you will have done is set the laser exactly parallel to the line of the iron sights. It will take just a bit of practice (maybe one box, but probably much less) to adjust to that, but once you do, you will get back the flexibility you have with the iron sights. - you never have to worry about what range you need to start aiming left. - If you would add an inch of elevation to the POA with iron sights (due to range), you just add one inch (making it .5 low and .75 right) to the position of the dot.

- some people hate the idea, some like it... but I just figured I'd put that out there for you to consider.

One other thing though

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    (if I knew I were going into a firefight I would bring a full sized glock...).
    I've got one thing to say to that.... "shotgun"
    Or perhaps "M4", "AK47" or even "MP5" and in any event, I'd want a bunch of friends with them as well. Even if I were a glock fanboy, a pistol of any type would be WAY down my list of things to bring to a gun fight.

But Congrats on the new acquisition, either way.

And... Add another recommendation for High Noon from me. - I'm a repeat customer for several reasons.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links